Thai Govt Slammed For 'Bumbling' Relief Efforts

webfact

Govt slammed for 'bumbling' relief efforts

By The Nation

gallery_327_1086_23582.jpg

The opposition Pheu Thai Party and the New Politics Party yesterday attacked the government for its late and bumbling relief efforts, saying it was practising double standards and hunting for votes rather than addressing the plight of the flood victims.

Pheu Thai Party spokesman Prompong Noparit said that even though the government had set up flood relief centres and launched many measures, at least 34 people have died and businesses, farms and families have suffered massive losses.

Expremier Somchai Wongsawat said the government's flood relief efforts lacked coordination between the central and local governments.

The Pheu Thai Party had instructed its MPs and future candidates to help flood victims and they were met with public complaints that relief supplies were kept for canvassers to give to constituents who supported certain parties, he said.

"The prime minister needs to come down from his ivory tower to monitor flood relief measures. He and his 35 Cabinet members must go into the 29 submerged provinces so the flooding problem is solved in a cohesive manner,'' he said.

Prime Minister Abhisit Vejjajiva admitted the government could not help all flood victims due to the liaison problem with local officials. He said he was aware of the situation and was working to improve communications and plug loopholes.

He estimated the flooding had cost almost Bt10 billion. The government would review the GDP forecast in light of the floodrelated damage and would approve criteria in extending compensation to flood victims.

Suriyasai Katasila, secretarygeneral of the New Politics Party, warned the coalition parties not to gain political support by only helping their followers. He urged the government to forge social solidarity.

"Politicians should stop fighting and work together to help the public as a whole, not to vie for election support from flood victims,'' he said.

The opposition should not try to destroy the government's credibility, as the country in crisis needs unity among the people, he said.

"Our party and the People's Alliance for Democracy have told our members to help flood victims regardless of their political colour,'' he said.

The government should turn the crisis into opportunity by setting up the National Warning Centre to warn people of natural disasters, prevent unfortunate scenarios and curb property damage.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-25

Bumbling is the key word here. Is there much that goes on in Thailand that isn't bumbling? It's my sense that most of the time things "get by" with a little luck, rather than any well-planned and well-orchestrated effort. Everyone was bumbling during the peak of the Red Shirt crisis. They're bumbling with the southern unrest. But, perhaps I'm expecting too much. Let's face it, there are lots of newsy reminders over the past year that despite all the flash of the Skytrain and skyscrapers in Bangkok, that overall Thailand is still a third-world nation...perhaps at the high end of that group...but still in that category.

If this is truly happening, shame on the all political parties. Can't blame the government for the size of the flood event, but to delay or prevent aid is another thing.

This is where the military needs to step-up. They have the means to deliver goods better than any civilian organization. Or at least, they should.

Let's face it, there are lots of newsy reminders over the past year that despite all the flash of the Skytrain and skyscrapers in Bangkok, that overall Thailand is still a third-world nation...perhaps at the high end of that group...but still in that category.

I guess you are coming form the 'first world' and a village over there without a skytrain, right? - Now you can feel so much better and still superior even if your village doesn't have a skytrain. (but at least a walmart, right?)

Edited by SergeiY

Look on the bright side of it. Imagine if Pheu Thai was in power. They would be looking for ways to get more money for Thaksin.

Of course they are going to slam the government but not there part of it. That is all they do never any helpful suggestions.

The whole thing sounds like a load of old cobblers. Relief workers are usually busy to over-worked, and just havn't got the time to discriminate between people, especially on something as nebulous as political affiliation. Show me one person claiming that he was refused aid, or even asked how he votes; and I'll show you a liar, probably with PTP affiliation.

From Cabinet to discuss charter review next week : PM

""People of all colours are united to help those affected by the flooding," Sanan said."

".........63 per cent expected the government would deliver sufficient assistance to them."

Hopefully my earlier post was completely wrong, and the 63% are all govt voters.

Let's face it, there are lots of newsy reminders over the past year that despite all the flash of the Skytrain and skyscrapers in Bangkok, that overall Thailand is still a third-world nation...perhaps at the high end of that group...but still in that category.

I guess you are coming form the 'first world' and a village over there without a skytrain, right? - Now you can feel so much better and still superior even if your village doesn't have a skytrain. (but at least a walmart, right?)

I am not clear what your point is.

Are you saying the response to the floods is not "bumbling"? Remember, that was not initially my description.

Are you saying Thailand is "first world"? It's simply not, and that's okay. But there are a lot of posters in this forum who sometimes seem to think that Thailand responds to crises in a modern and efficient way. It doesn't.

And what has Walmart got to do with anything at all in this thread?

Clearly you were attempting to insult me...which doesn't mean that Thailand is responding properly to its current (note I say current) crisis.

I am not clear what your point is.

Are you saying the response to the floods is not "bumbling"? Remember, that was not initially my description.

Are you saying Thailand is "first world"? It's simply not, and that's okay. But there are a lot of posters in this forum who sometimes seem to think that Thailand responds to crises in a modern and efficient way. It doesn't.

And what has Walmart got to do with anything at all in this thread?

Clearly you were attempting to insult me...which doesn't mean that Thailand is responding properly to its current (note I say current) crisis.

Don't feel insulted. You can be proud of your walmart and that you perfectly analysed the situation like a pro and put Thailand at the place where it belong.

I am sure in a first modern world it also doesn't rain so much. Fell good about it.

Pheu Thai Party spokesman Prompong Noparit said that even though the government had set up flood relief centres and launched many measures, at least 34 people have died and businesses, farms and families have suffered massive losses.

June 2006 under 'care(less)-taker' PM Thaksin:

Thailand's Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department concludes that 83 people died in flooding in five northern provinces: 71 in Uttaradit, seven in Sukhothai and five in Phrae. Thirty-three people are still missing, a total of 674 houses have been damaged and 310,000 people affected.

Expremier Somchai Wongsawat said the government's flood relief efforts lacked coordination between the central and local governments.

This is a yearly returning problem. Once the floods recede the problem is forgotten. Even the late k. Samak when BKK governor between 2000 - 2004 had a bit of a problem with flooding (and firetrucks).

The Pheu Thai Party had instructed its MPs and future candidates to help flood victims and they were met with public complaints that relief supplies were kept for canvassers to give to constituents who supported certain parties, he said.

He said, but no evidence yet I assume ?

"The prime minister needs to come down from his ivory tower to monitor flood relief measures. He and his 35 Cabinet members must go into the 29 submerged provinces so the flooding problem is solved in a cohesive manner," he said.

If you want real chaos you might want the PM and 35 cabinet members running around like headless chickens. The minister responsable for Tourism may have to wade through water a bit. The latest tourist attraction which may help to reach 15+M this year ;)

Edited by rubl

Flood relief always provides oppositons an chance to put the boot into governments.

The guys getting the thanks here are the army who do the direct distribution. Their standing is rising again as government gets attacked for poor planning and opposition try to get their canvassing networks involved but polticos at the end of the day only get to play blame game while the military actually delivers

Edited to add: still it isnt as bad as the 2006 debacle where loads died and government tried to lie about the death toll

Edited by hammered

Don't feel insulted. You can be proud of your walmart and that you perfectly analysed the situation like a pro and put Thailand at the place where it belong.

I am sure in a  first modern world it also doesn't rain so much. Fell good about it.

If it did rain as much you can be darn sure that any problem that it caused would have been effectively dealt with decades ago.

Within the past ten years such innovative (or hairbrained depending on your point of view) ideas as constructing a canal across the Kra isthmus or building a motorway bridge across the Gulf of Thailand  have been mooted. Nothing about preventing or limiting damage by seemingly annual floods though. 

Flood relief always provides oppositons an chance to put the boot into governments.

The guys getting the thanks here are the army who do the direct distribution. Their standing is rising again as government gets attacked for poor planning and opposition try to get their canvassing networks involved but polticos at the end of the day only get to play blame game while the military actually delivers

Edited to add: still it isnt as bad as the 2006 debacle where loads died and government tried to lie about the death toll

Yes, winter 2005-2006 was a horror show and they tried to make it look

non-political but acted with classic vindictive political gamesmanship.

Which is one main reason I have had total intolerance for Thaksin ever since.

A lot of people slag the army as too political or corrupt,

but when things MUST get done, they can and do deliver.

I am sure in a first modern world it also doesn't rain so much. Fell good about it.

LOL...just an insult...no substance. What your obsession is with Walmart, I don't know. Every country has its Walmart. In Thailand its the places where you bargain along the streets or Carrefour. In Europe, Argentina, Brazil, China, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, North Africa, and some other parts of Asia it's Carrefour.

Now, back to the topic. How do you rate the relief effort by the Thai government? Efficient or bumbling?

I'd write more, but I have to drive over to Walmart...they have sour grapes on special price this week.

Edited by phetaroi

LOL...just an insult...no substance. What your obsession is with Walmart, I don't know. Every country has its Walmart. In Thailand its the places where you bargain along the streets or Carrefour. In Europe, Argentina, Brazil, China, Colombia, the Dominican Republic, North Africa, and some other parts of Asia it's Carrefour.

Now, back to the topic. How do you rate the relief effort by the Thai government? Efficient or bumbling?

I'd write more, but I have to drive over to Walmart...they have sour grapes on special price this week.

You got it wrong. First: Walmart helps you to save the money for your next holiday trip.

And NO, no insults. You got it totally right.

Thailand is third world and you are a handsome chap. Tourists who know everything better are most welcome.

You got it wrong. First: Walmart helps you to save the money for your next holiday trip.

And NO, no insults. You got it totally right.

Thailand is third world and you are a handsome chap. Tourists who know everything better are most welcome.

Actually, I lived in Thailand for well over a year, and while that doesn't make me an expert, I'm sure it makes me just as much an expert as you. And I note you still didn't answer the question. How do you rate the efficiency of government in Thailand, particularly in regard to the relief effort and, let's add in the southern insurgency and the Red Shirt movement?