Non-O Visa Extension.

Well I procrastinated until the day before my non-o retirement extension expires to get my paperwork together and

realized that last year (my first extension) I applied one month before the expiration.

Will they grant a new extension on the day it expires? Or should I be packing a bag to leave tomorrow?

FWIW: I accompanied an 'acquaintance' a few weeks ago out to Changwattana to secure another year's extension of stay based on retirement. This person had also procrastinated; to the point where he was on overstay for 5 days :whistling: .

I thought things either wouldn't fly or it would be fraught with peril. At the extension area, the immigrations officer started processing the paperwork, that was until she noticed the guy was on overstay :( . She kept all the paperwork but sent us over to the overstay area to settle up the fine first. Once that was settled, when we came back to the extension of stay area, we didn't even hafta cue as she waved us right in and issued another year's extension of stay without any fuss in under 10 minutes. :)

The main point is you need all your “ducks in a row and quacking in time” document-wise to secure your extension first time outta the gate as you are in a time sensitive situation (My previously related experience may or may not appease your sense of urgency ;) ). You don't wanna hafta spend a day running around to get another document because you didn't have it.

I honestly doubt you'll have a problem, as I've accompanied other acquaintances who've been close to their last day, the one I just mentioned who'd actually overstayed by 5 days, (and one who I will not mention who had a horrifically long overstay :angry: ), still they all secured extensions of stays.

And not to disagree with the poster known as "Jingthing" (which I imagine means something like "the real thing" or "the real deal" B) ), but I've never got a lecture from an official at Changwattana in my many, many trips out there for various and sundry things :lol: .

As far as my dealings with thai bureaucracy; the immigrations staff at Changwattana seem pretty easy going in a professionally aloof sort of way.

I phrased this poorly before. I meant to give the meaning that it is possible you will get a lecture about not leaving any time for problems and to be emotionally prepared to hear that. I don't have an opinion on the actual probability of that happening. Too many factors to predict that, but I have indeed witnessed immigration officers chewing out applicants at Jomtien on more than one occasion.

Edited by Jingthing

whats the big deal about getting an extention to your retirment visa, am i missing something here,

why would anybody want to leave 800,000+ in a Thai bank getting no interest for 3 months at a time,

Why not renew your Non Immigrant O Multitrip every year when your old one expires, most people go back to their country once every year.

I think this would save a lot of hassel with all the paper work, I tried extending my visa in Pattaya but because i did not have a permanent

address i was refused, my money was in a Thai bank for over one and a half years making no interest, only money i made was when i changed

back into euros this month as the exchange was favourable. any thoughts, Pat

whats the big deal about getting <SNIP>

Sadly, you are missing the POINT of the O/P's post entirely :whistling: ..

Did you even read the O/P's topic before you so blithely replied? :blink:

He was NOT asking ANY of the things you mentioned in your OFF TOPIC post.

That is why a person should read the O/P's post FIRST, and then reply, AFTER ;) .

Last time I checked (which I do from time to time :lol: ) a Non Immigrant Type-WHATEVER visa will give you only a 90 day stay in the glorious "Land 'O Thais" at a time. After that you must 'run 4 the border', as we say in America, (and which is the tag line of all the Taco Bell commercials :P ). ..

Catch a small clue there as your 'pundit’ status concerning thai visas is about to be downgraded to, errrr, ummm, about a minus five :( . I do like your posting name though, as it says it ALL, new-bie ;) .. .

FWIW: I have secured yearly extensions of stay for people who lived in and used the address of the frickin' Nana Hotel on Sukhumvit Soi Four :o , fur christ's sake! So your "I was denied because I had no permanent address in thailand" whining, rings kinda hollow, (at least to me) B) . ..

And before you even ask; NO I have no affiliation with this forum other than posting accurate visa info about thailand.

whats the big deal about getting <SNIP>

Sadly, you are missing the POINT of the O/P's post entirely :whistling: ..

Did you even read the O/P's topic before you so blithely replied? :blink:

He was NOT asking ANY of the things you mentioned in your OFF TOPIC post.

That is why a person should read the O/P's post FIRST, and then reply, AFTER ;) .

Last time I checked (which I do from time to time :lol: ) a Non Immigrant Type-WHATEVER visa will give you only a 90 day stay in the glorious "Land 'O Thais" at a time. After that you must 'run 4 the border', as we say in America, (and which is the tag line of all the Taco Bell commercials :P ). ..

Catch a small clue there as your 'pundit’ status concerning thai visas is about to be downgraded to, errrr, ummm, about a minus five :( . I do like your posting name though, as it says it ALL, new-bie ;) .. .

FWIW: I have secured yearly extensions of stay for people who lived in and used the address of the frickin' Nana Hotel on Sukhumvit Soi Four :o , fur christ's sake! So your "I was denied because I had no permanent address in thailand" whining, rings kinda hollow, (at least to me) B) . ..

And before you even ask; NO I have no affiliation with this forum other than posting accurate visa info about thailand.

it must be hard with your knowledge of immigration to put up with idiots.

Let's not have a food fight about it.

He could have been talking about getting a new non immigrant O-A visa which allows a one year entry and just forgot to type the "A". There are a few who do that rather than extend inside Thailand.

That would make the post on-topic.

Today's Report-

No problem at the Immigration office today. Went in at 8:15AM, no waiting, out by 8:40. (Note: This is at the Udon Thani Immigration Office)

I brought everything I could think of based on the posts I've read on the forums. The only things they needed were:

Passport

Copy of all passport pages

TM 7

one passport size photo

Income letter from US embassy (they kept the original)

Map drawing to my house

1,900 Baht.

Also had to sign a statement that I understood the penalty for overstay (or something to that effect).

Thanks for the advise guys! I'm good for another year! eusa_dance.gif

whats the big deal about getting an extention to your retirment visa, am i missing something here,

why would anybody want to leave 800,000+ in a Thai bank getting no interest for 3 months at a time,

Why not renew your Non Immigrant O Multitrip every year when your old one expires, most people go back to their country once every year.

I think this would save a lot of hassel with all the paper work, I tried extending my visa in Pattaya but because i did not have a permanent

address i was refused, my money was in a Thai bank for over one and a half years making no interest, only money i made was when i changed

Sorry but you are very wrong , firstly you can have interest on a Thaibank , only not with the government banks as Krungthai bank . Second there is not much paperwork , 800k or 65k the month or if money short a mix of both is very well accepted . Third any stay in any place will do but you just have to ask the owner where you rent the place a copy of the adrees where you are at , finished !

So it saves alot of money having to travel out every year and three months with a multiple .

I think most people think and judge to quickly of immigration handlings , it is very easy just know what to bring with you . But I agree on the fact when not having monthly pension and not willing to bring any money in Thailand multiples is the best option .

Sorry but you are very wrong , firstly you can have interest on a Thaibank , only not with the government banks as Krungthai bank . Second there is not much paperwork , 800k or 65k the month or if money short a mix of both is very well accepted . Third any stay in any place will do but you just have to ask the owner where you rent the place a copy of the adrees where you are at , finished !

So it saves alot of money having to travel out every year and three months with a multiple .

I think most people think and judge to quickly of immigration handlings , it is very easy just know what to bring with you . But I agree on the fact when not having monthly pension and not willing to bring any money in Thailand multiples is the best option .

To FlankeyFoont I am sorry if it looks like i was trying to highjack your posting, that was not my intentions, and i am happy for you that you were successful with your visa extention.

To "tod-daniels" when i seen the post Non-o visa extentions in the index page i thought this would a good place to get some answers and air my views re: visa extentions, but maybe i should have started a new post. sorry about that. yes i am new at this is that a problem.No need to be rude to me. I can see by reading your post you are a well educated person, and you have a way with words, not everybody is blessed in that way.What do you mean by this remark ? (Catch a small clue there as your 'pundit’ status concerning thai visas is about to be downgraded to, errrr, ummm, about a minus five) . you are wrong about the address you do need to show that you own or rent in the place where you are applying for, I had the extention stamp in my passport but when i was sent to the women at back desk, when she seen that i had put my hotel address she marked void on my passport and gave me back my money. but thanks for your imput.

To tom21 so do you mean someone with knowledge of immigration has to be smart and rude to people who seeks answers to their questions, maybe i am an idiot, as we say in Ireland it takes one to know one. but thanks for your input anyway.

To lopburi3 I am not really sure what i had as it is expired now, i had a category O good for multitrip Nov 2008 until Nov2009 retirement i am 62 years of age. i dont have a pension. thanks for taking the trouble to answer.

To tijnebijn I did have my 800,000 in a Thai bank but i did not think one could get an account where you would get interest, I take your point about the paperwork, I dont think you can say you have a place in say Bkk if you are applying for an extention in say Pattaya, but saying you are staying in a hotel is a no no, i see some posters have been lucky, where this rule has be ingored. Thanks for your help, you answered my questions

I am not in Thailand now i was thinking i might try again next year, If and when i get my Category O multitrip visa for 1 year will i have to leave Thailand every 90 days, or just do the 90 day reporting thing to the police. ( i am not talking about extending yet) any thoughts Pat.

Obtain a multi entry non immigrant O-A visa in your home country. You need a police report and medical and proof of 800k but that allows you to enter Thailand and get a one year stamp on any entry and if you do just before expiration of visa you cover almost two years with no need to visit Immigration for anything other than a re-entry permit for travel during the second year. This would solve the hotel issue.