Baseball Oct 2010

siamdivers

Just wondering if anyone has a good public place, bar or restaurant to watch the series this year starting on Friday (I believe). Don't want to drive to Patong from Rawai, so around here somewhere would be good, or Kata in a pinch. Now that Don't Restaurant is closed I don't know where to go where it's US sports friends. Freedom I haven't asked, but usually they are not interested in anything but footie and rugby.

Any joy out there?

Thanks,

John

Just for the record John, Series starts Wed the 27th @ 8:00 EST. That's Thursday here at 7:00 AM.

Yep, I had the schedule downloaded but didn't have it in front of me, but thanks for the reminder. I have posted this on two forums and still no help on a venue. No cable at home, and anyway a lousy TV, would like to see it on a real TV. Here's the US schedule for anyone interested.

post-95314-011508400 1288065414_thumb.pn

Dukes Sport Bar in Kata half way up Thaina Rd. from Kata Center is owned by Americans Mark and Karn. They always show the major American sporting events. I just spoke to Karen and confirmed they will be open for the world series, plus I see now they say that on the website as well.

Duke's Sports Bar Kata

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Thanks for that, yes, maybe I will have to drive to Kata every day. angry.gif Thanks for the tip! Will email them and ask them to post the real time schedule here or on their website.

Currently the schedule on Duke's site shows Eastern Standard Time. If you find it confusing when trying to figure out a future time and date something is on live here in Thailand like I do, especially when you have to deal with daylight savings, (which incidently occurs a couple days after game 7, so we don't have to worry about that here.) I have found an easy, sure way to know. Use the World Click Time Zone Converter.

World Clock Time Zone Converter

It's handy planning intercontinental flights too.

For example, here is WS game one which will be live for us in Thailand at 6:30am, Thursday, October 28th.

Game One time in Thailand

And correction from my last post. Dukes is owned by Mark and Karen, not Karn. :)

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Yeah, got ya about that, I have time-zone converters. What I have emailed and asked Mark is actually what time the game will start, not the coverage of the game. I'm not a big sports fan so not sure how that is working these days. If he emails back I will post what he says.

Thanks again,

John

TrueVision/UBC channel 106/ESPN. Time (THailand) Games 1,2,3,4 & 5 at 0630. Game 6 at 0530. Game 7 at 0700. This from UBC.

According to MLB.com it is games 3 and 4 that are 530am and 7am respectively. All others 630am. That is the start of programming which includes lead in stuff and interviews. First pitch is the odd X:57 times siamdiver posted above. Those first pitch times first in eastern Standard Time and then in Thai Time again are:

Wednesday, Oct. 27: Game 1, 7:57p.m. ET (Thursday, Oct28: 6:57am Thai Time)

Thursday, Oct. 28: Game 2, 7:57p.m. ET (Friday, Oct.29: 6:57am Thai Time)

Saturday, Oct. 30: Game 3, 6:57 p.m. ET (Sunday, Oct.31: 5:57a.m Thai Time)

Sunday, Oct. 31: Game 4, 8:20 p.m. ET (Saturday, Nov. 1: 7:20am Thai Time)

Monday, Nov. 1: Game 5, 7:57 p.m. ET (Tuesday, Nov. 2: 6:57am Thai Time)

Wednesday, Nov. 3: Game 6, 7:57 p.m. ET (Thursday Nov. 4: 6:57am Thai Time)

Thursday, Nov. 4: Game 7, 7:57 p.m. ET (Friday Nov. 5th: 6:57am Thai Time)

MLB homepage

To clarify, I mean what time will UBC or whatever cable program is going to start. Maybe that's more clear. Got to work so have to plan my day a bit. smile.gif

I find UBC(Truevisions) to be inaccurate more often than not when it comes to advertising live game start times, and that seems to be "True" here as well. Then you pray that the guys in the control room remember to switch it on, which they often don't until the 3rd inning/2nd quarter. It got so bad that I recall someone posting that they had obtained the mobile numbers of the UBC control room staff and would often call them to remind them to turn on a game. TIT!

Edited by Lite Beer

Could care less who gives the times . UBC WILL BE ON AT 0500 at my house.

I guess so if you don't care about accuracy. The times I posted are accurate. UBC's are not. You will be waiting 1.5 hours before the pregame starts, 2 hours before first pitch.

Edited by ScubaBuddha

I heard back from Karen at Dukes and they have posted a schedule, but they said that they will not open unless there is enough interest for them to do so.

Duke's

So if you're interested, let them know please.

John & Joe: Here’s what I have posted so far - http://dukesbigboard.com/Calendar.aspx. We can’t commit to opening for live games unless there is enough interest. I’ve posted the schedule and the REPLAY times based on Phuket Time Zone. I’ll continue to update as we know more. Thanks again for your help and interest.

An email from Mark:

Hello Everyone,

I would lovered_heart.gif to be open. My Yankees are goners, but I lived and died with the Giants for many years. I was hoping for a Yankees/Giants World Series but...... this will still be a great SERIES!

I am reaching out to my American, Canadian and Australian customers on the cc address line! Do ya wanna see some baseball? Jack Nicholson sure did in "One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest" and I do too. Nurse Ratchet said no to R.P. Mac Murphybroken_heart.gif! Sooooo are you inids_emoticon_thumbsup.gif or outids_emoticon_thumbsdown.gif??

How about all you mental defectives1511514.GIF out there? Are you willing to get your butts out of bed, drive to Dukes to watch Game 1 of the World Series?? If you will I will!!

Thursday morning at 630amids_emoticon_clock.gif is the first pitch. I need 10 BB fans to say yes.

We will make the BIG decision at 1pm tomorrow on opening early! Please pass this along to friend who maybe interested!

Mark Ellison

Could care less who gives the times . UBC WILL BE ON AT 0500 at my house.

I guess so if you don't care about accuracy. The times I posted are accurate. UBC's are not. You will be waiting 1.5 hours before the pregame starts, 2 hours before first pitch.

Indeed, the times you posted are correct. Truevisions guide is useless! I use iGoogle, it converts the game times to the time where I am, and the first 3 games are:

Giants Vs.

RangersThu Oct 28

6:57 AM

c.gifRangersFri Oct 29

6:57 AM

@ c.gifRangersSun Oct 31

5:57 AM

I'll set my bedroom TV timer to turn on at these times and watch from there... I have a few friends working on the game setup in SF. Here is the FOX pre and post game set up...

post-44146-099775400 1288101858_thumb.pn Inside the dugout post-44146-004040000 1288102005_thumb.pn

Edited by Jimi007

Seriously......why is it called World Series ?????? Was it invented by Bush ? :annoyed:

I guess you are both uninformed and don't know how to search for yourself. So here's the answer to you rather lame questions:

The World Series has been the annual championship series of the highest level of professional baseball in the United States and Canada since 1903, concluding the postseason of Major League Baseball. Since the Series takes place in October, sportswriters many years ago dubbed the event the Fall Classic; it is also sometimes known as the October Classic or simply The Series. It is played between the League Championship Series winning clubs from MLB's two circuits, the American and National Leagues. The World Series has been played every year since 1903 with the exception of 1904 (boycott) and 1994 (player strike). Though professional baseball has employed various championship formulas since the 1860s, the term "World Series" is usually understood to refer exclusively to the modern World Series.Though the name "World Series" might bring to mind an intercontinental championship, it is confined within Major League Baseball's American and National Leagues. Since those two leagues together generally attract the top talent from around the world, the World Series is thought of among fans and sports writers as a de facto world championship.

Edited by Jimi007

So all this talk got me thinking. Since Duke's is unsure they will be open, I called my American friend Ricky Zen who owns the new Rick and Roll Music Cafe on Kata New Road opposite the Beach Center. He want's to start showing live sport there so I took the SlingCatcher down and hooked it up to see how good a picture we could get. Sling says you need a 250Kbps stream to get an SD picture, and we were getting a pretty consistent 300-500Kbps, still SD but watchable.

Tomorrow Ricky is going to upgrade his 3mb Indy line to a 5mb Premier line and we are going to try again. I have all the HD channels at the Slingbox location in California, and if we can get a steady 1mb stream, the HD signal comes though looking very clean. If we get a decent picture, Ricky will plan on being open for each game. This will be a stream from the local channel in SF bay area. I'll confirm by updating this thread later Wednesday.

Another benefit at Rick N Rolls is he will have his new American chef in and will be making breakfast items to order. He recently put in a grill and kitchen. (Best ribs in town IMHO) I have already placed an order for a bacon egg and cheese croissantwich. (Not sure if Dukes will be serving breakfast?) Coffee and "other" drinks will be available too. If the Sling fails, then we'll probably all go to Dukes. Below is a map to Ricky's. I marked the location of Dukes too. :)

Web_RickyZen_Map.jpg

Edited by ScubaBuddha

Seriously......why is it called World Series ?????? Was it invented by Bush ? :annoyed:

I guess you are both uninformed and don't know how to search for yourself. So here's the answer to you rather lame questions:

The World Series has been the annual championship series of the highest level of professional baseball in the United States and Canada since 1903, concluding the postseason of Major League Baseball. Since the Series takes place in October, sportswriters many years ago dubbed the event the Fall Classic; it is also sometimes known as the October Classic or simply The Series. It is played between the League Championship Series winning clubs from MLB's two circuits, the American and National Leagues. The World Series has been played every year since 1903 with the exception of 1904 (boycott) and 1994 (player strike). Though professional baseball has employed various championship formulas since the 1860s, the term "World Series" is usually understood to refer exclusively to the modern World Series.Though the name "World Series" might bring to mind an intercontinental championship, it is confined within Major League Baseball's American and National Leagues. Since those two leagues together generally attract the top talent from around the world, the World Series is thought of among fans and sports writers as a de facto world championship.

So, you never picked up on my irony..... But, many thanks for enlightening a lost world citizen :D

Oh, that's perfect, hope the Sling works OK, keep me informed please. That's right across the street from my wife's restaurant so if he can't or doesn't want to serve breakfast, we can get take-away from my wife's place. Problem with her place, no decent TV, and no cable. Not yet, just opened.

Best ribs in town? Sign me up. Thanks for the effort. This is really the first 'serious' time I have used ThaiVisa for anything like this and I have to say it's a good forum. Most of the other ones I have used are mostly just a bunch of snide comments so this is a breath of fresh air.

So, you never picked up on my irony..... But, many thanks for enlightening a lost world citizen :D

If you want to see a good program (though long) on the history of Baseball, the documentary maker Ken Burns did a 10 part series called simply "Baseball" and in one of the episodes early on they give a lengthy explanation of why we call it the World Series. (You can get it from various online sources, both free (TPB) and paid.) The above is accurate of course, but in the end according to Mr Burns' writers it had more to do with marketing (we're good at that, irony intended) than anything else.

The word "World" was heavily criticized right from the start, but the name stuck and it's been like this for more than 100 years, so I think it's here to stay. rolleyes.gif

You baseball buffs will like the program. He also did a great one on the history of Jazz FYI. These are the two best American inventions IMHO. Those and BBQ sauce.