Arapiama Guess The Weight?

rufanuf

Arapiama  

17 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Paul from Australia took this Arapiama (and another good one) yesterday on Palm Tree Lagoon.

Since theres been so much debate over Arapiama sizes I thought it would be interesting to see what regulalr users of the forum think :rolleyes: Khun Hong the owner has told us he weighed this fish previously. I can tell you this Arapiama is 20 years old, we have captured it before, it was in incredibly good condition for a fish of its age.

post-32215-073186500 1288089113_thumb.jp

Its difficult to tell from the photo because we can't see all the full length fish or height of the fish..

I'm guessing 9 ft in length and a 40 inch girth, so ((girth x girth)x length))/800 = weight in pounds

Which gives 216lb or 96 Kgs.. so I'll assume that's on the light side, add 10% and round up.

So 110Kgs, but if anyone else asks, double it :)

Its difficult to tell from the photo because we can't see all the full length fish or height of the fish..

I'm guessing 9 ft in length and a 40 inch girth, so ((girth x girth)x length))/800 = weight in pounds

Which gives 216lb or 96 Kgs.. so I'll assume that's on the light side, add 10% and round up.

So 110Kgs, but if anyone else asks, double it :)

Thanks Quicksilva, I think theres a lot of logic in your appraisal. In 2007 I wieghed on certified scales and measured an Arapaima out of Lake Monsters.

Its girth was 42 inches length 72 inches (pic attached) this fish came in at 86kgs (at the time the world record came out of Ecuador at 83kgapprx) it was accpeted by the IGFA as a record then immediately guzumped by IGFA as they do not want the Arapiama record coming to Thailand. The reason I asked for opinions is for the very reasons you state, without being wieghed they are so difficult to assess. I can tell you this Palm Tree fishes girth was 60inches plus based on it being wider than the whole body of those guys holding (ie as wide as they are around the shoulders :rolleyes:

post-32215-095704800 1288159862_thumb.jp

Edited by rufanuf

My guess of 70 kilos was a little light. Still a great fish though. Nice to see it survived for as long as it has.

I was fishing a private pond down the Thai penninsula when I caught an Arawana. I didn't realize at the time how lucky I was or how unusual it was. I originally thought I had hooked a tarpon because it jumped several times. I didn't even know what I had caught until someone told me later. Fortunately, I release everything I catch. I was taken there by a Thai friend and doubt if I could find the place again. Too bad because I would like to repeat the experience. I've been told that Arawana are quite expensive to buy. I don't think it weighed more than 3 kilos.

Strange_fish.sized.jpg

My guess of 70 kilos was a little light. Still a great fish though. Nice to see it survived for as long as it has.

I was fishing a private pond down the Thai penninsula when I caught an Arawana. I didn't realize at the time how lucky I was or how unusual it was. I originally thought I had hooked a tarpon because it jumped several times. I didn't even know what I had caught until someone told me later. Fortunately, I release everything I catch. I was taken there by a Thai friend and doubt if I could find the place again. Too bad because I would like to repeat the experience. I've been told that Arawana are quite expensive to buy. I don't think it weighed more than 3 kilos.

Hi Ian,

In fact the picture of the fish in your post is a Saratoga, which is an even rarer catch in a pond! :o Don;t think I've ever heard of one being stocked anywhere! I've attached a picture of Arowana...note, the difference is in the tail.

post-32215-030179300 1288310050_thumb.jp

Edited by rufanuf

It's red tail gold arowana. Red arowanas are popular with Thais. Whereas in Malaysia,Singapore and China Gold arowanas are much sought after and command a good price as it's perceive to bring good feng shui.Arowanas is an endangered species under the CITIES act. All arowanas are micro chipped. Nowadays most are farm bred and export and import is controlled. Price depends on the grade of individual fish.

The Platinum and Albinos arowanas are the most expensive ornamental fish. Recently in Singapore a top grade12 inch Platinum arowana was sold for US$60'000 and an 8 inch Albino for US$30,000.

Hi Ian,

In fact the picture of the fish in your post is a Saratoga, which is an even rarer catch in a pond! :o Don;t think I've ever heard of one being stocked anywhere! I've attached a picture of Arowana...note, the difference is in the tail.

Thank you for the correction. Somebody told me it was a Malaysian boney tongue. I didn't know what it was when I caught it and just believed what I was told.

Hi Ian,

Thank you for the correction. Somebody told me it was a Malaysian boney tongue. I didn't know what it was when I caught it and just believed what I was told.

Being an angler and not an Aquarium enthusiast I cant say I am expert, about colourations etc, but every Arowana I caught fishing has the tail similar to the wels catfish or the sheathfish, where as most of the fish in aquariums and the collectors fish that everybody and his dog call Arowana have a normal paddle tail, which I am told are Saratoga/Dragon Fish/Malaysian Boney Mouth etc, and i believe one may be native to asia and the other south america, but I may be wrong on that. Perhaps an aquarium enthusiast can tell us the differences with more accuracy?

Edited by rufanuf

Saratoga, arowana or dragon fish is of same family. The South American black and silver arowanas and the asian green and pearl arowanas have similar body tapering to a small tail. Although your arowana picture have golden hue it's likely a South American silver arowana. Arowanas have barbels and mouthbrooders.

Saratoga, arowana or dragon fish is of same family. The South American black and silver arowanas and the asian green and pearl arowanas have similar body tapering to a small tail. Although your arowana picture have golden hue it's likely a South American silver arowana. Arowanas have barbels and mouthbrooders.

Isn't the Arapaima also a member of the same family? You will find quite a few references to the Arapaima as being a "Red Arowana" or "Giant Arowana" just to add to the confusion!