Looking For New Notebook?

pluto_manibo

I am looking for a laptop, but I have no clue which ones are reliable and provide reliable aftersale service....I would need it to surf the internet, record with programs like music maker, reason, fruity loops...burn cds, watch dvds, photoshop, film editing... I have looked at the Toshibas, Acer Ferrari models and travelmate, Fujitsus, IBMs, HP.......I find the Toshibas great but quite more expensive....Harman Kardon speakers and wide screen are nice but eat up the battery way too fast.....

Anyone have any recommedations or experience( good or bad)....I would need the following specs:

Pent centrino

1.7/1.8 (533 mhz)

60-80 gb

512 ddr...expendable 2 gb

very good graphics card

Dvd writer

5 in1 card reader

wifi, blue tooth, modem etc....

Anyone happy or disappointed with their Laptops....Thanx... :o

I've been using Sony Vaios for 4 years and have never had a single problem, it took over a year for a single crash from what I can remember. If you looking for true portability/power, I think it there gonna be hard to beat. Would expect the Acer Ferrari range to have the battery life of a nymphs vibrator :o

Some other criteria to mention:

Portability (travel a lot? size, weight)

Cosmetics (do you require a good-liking notebook?)

Price (no mention of budget)

Although all the Japanese brands (Sony, Toshiba, Fujitsu, etc) are nice, they're also pretty expensive and beyond the range of most. My friend has a Sony with 17" widescreen, cost him around 150k baht. I know of a few Acers which fit the requirements for only around 40-50k baht. But if you have the money to splurge, by all means, go for broke (literally?).

I'm buying one soon: Toshiba M40, found the best price in Singapore (Harvey Norman store) about 2,700 SGD (approx. 66,000 THB) - it's on the expensive side but there is nothing else I fancy. Check out the screen on it! :o

Good luck and happy shopping :D

The coveted Sonly clearbrite screens (high contrast, high reflectivity, wide viewing angle, great brightness) were once only found on high-end Japanese notebooks... Not so anymore. You can find them on certain notebook models from nearly all manufacturers notebooks now... Acer has a few models that go for only 30k+ baht. I've even seen them on sub-30k notebooks from third-tier manufacturers.

Personally, I wouldn't pay any more than 50k on a notebook. Way too much to pay for way too little product. They're slower than desktops, less expandable, and have too many restrictions and compromises. I just can't justify paying 2-3x the price of a desktop for something like that. But that's just my 2 satang.

Price range is between baht 55,000-65,000.

I'm buying one soon: Toshiba M40, found the best price in Singapore (Harvey Norman store) about 2,700 SGD (approx. 66,000 THB) - it's on the expensive side but there is nothing else I fancy. Check out the screen on it!
I have my eyes on the Toshiba satellite M50 P345 nice compact 2.3 kg......The M40 line goes from 49,900-to 69,900 for the M40 P545....Some other criteria to mention:

Portability (travel a lot? size, weight)

Cosmetics (do you require a good-liking notebook?)

Price (no mention of budget

Yeah mainly for travelling....

I am far from being an expert in computer science but I decided, after many years of using and enduring the crashs and incinveniences of PC's and Laptops, to go over to Mac Powerbook. Cost much more than any "dry" notebook but I am sure to have all needed original programs allready installed and to go on with a top machine for photo and music work.

Price comparing : Notebook +/- 45.000.- + original Windows +/- 8.000.- + different working programs in original +/- 15.000.- = +/- 70.000.- ....... thats the price for my full original equiped Mac.

if you find writing errors pls keep them ..... I am not english :o

It bears repeating that user experiences will vary. Some people will totally curse one brand and worship another, based on their personal experiences (along the "once bitten" concept). Other people may have the exact opposite experience with those same brands. Personally, I've bought notebooks, Acers, for friends and family, with no problems whatsoever. I've had problems with other brands, but I won't condemn any brand.

It also bears repeating that a Mac is not for everyone, and that it might be wiser to wait to buy a Mac until after they switch to the intel platform.

It bears repeating that user experiences will vary.  Some people will totally curse one brand and worship another, based on their personal experiences (along the "once bitten" concept).  Other people may have the exact opposite experience with those same brands.  Personally, I've bought notebooks, Acers, for friends and family, with no problems whatsoever.  I've had problems with other brands, but I won't condemn any brand.

Very true!

It also bears repeating that a Mac is not for everyone, and that it might be wiser to wait to buy a Mac until after they switch to the intel platform.

Now why that? Mac's work great. All software you need is there. The hardware is good and looks good. Why should they switch to Intel, they do have good CPUs already. Just to make them a little cheaper?

I'm not using them, just because I did start with an Intel platform, and because they are more expensive. But for that extra money you get a lot of convenience. And you do not loose so much time with MS Windows and virus problems. :o

My friends, which are using Macs, are not willing to change, and when I talk with them I cannot find a reason to convince them to change, or a reason to make me want to convince them in the first place. If I wouldn't be quite happy with my Linux systems, it would be a Mac what I would get.

But Firefoxx, may be there is something I'm not aware of?

The switch to Intel is already going to happen, late this year, maybe next. There are already developer's builds of OS X for the intel platform. They supposedly run programs (in emulation, no less) faster than on the old IBM PowerPC platform. They might be cheaper or they might be more expensive, no prices have been released. However, the reason I say to wait is because it's a big change, and it's going to happen soon. Getting stuck with old and incompatible hardware (and software, since it's software for a different architecture) isn't good. It's been pretty big news, and the "switch" was announced quite some time ago. I'm surprised you didn't know about it.

As with all things, user experiences differ. In the past two years, I've only had to deal with 2 (two) viruses on my computer, which I use extensively. It's a matter of smart computing practices.

As for the "mac vs windows" debate, it keeps cropping up, even in threads which don't start with anything to do with Macs. My arguments are already in other threads, and I don't want to raise the ire of Mac users by saying anything more.

I am also tempted by the macs, the only drawback I have is that there is a lot of software that does not run on mac platforms, it is not upgradable, lack of software in Thailand for it....However it is an amazing machine, with sleek design and ease of use with a good complete package...excellent for media editing, music recording etc... I am still not decided on which laptop to get...The Sony Vaio line and Toshiba satellite line are strong contenders...

The Acer line looks good from the travelmates to the Ferrari(but as Hector from "Scarface" would say..."too much Flash, chicas, champagne")...Something more discrete but as powerful (the AMD sucks too much juice...) which doesn't scream..."Steal me"

I have had the Acer 2001WLCI for about 2 years and I have generally been happy with it, but like Goddess of Whatever I DID have ONE major crash, naturally when I needd it the most (travelling). Could have been the software though. Cheers!

They're slower than desktops, less expandable, and have too many restrictions and compromises.  I just can't justify paying 2-3x the price of a desktop for something like that.  But that's just my 2 satang.

OK, agreed, my HP notebook with AMD64 CPU is much more expensive than a dektop with the same power.

But less power than a desktop? In general that's true for a notebook. But there are notebooks, such as this HP with a AMD 64 bit CPU, which offer me the same power. 1.25 GB RAM, 80 GB HDD, 1200x800 screen, and compile times amazingly fast. And then using a mature 64 bit OS on it such as SuSE Linux 9.3, that gives a great speed! :o

It sits here next to my desktop with a quite fast Pentium 4 with SATA disks etc., but it is the notebook I'm using all the time. The desktop just gives me more noise, but no extra power, as long as I don't need the big fast SATA disks, like when I do some video editing.

Unfortunately HP does not offer these amd64 notebooks in LOS, at least I have not seen them here. I had to buy mine on a Visa run

So you can have desktop power with a notebook, but as you said, it costs a lot extra. And the notebooks offered in LOS are chosen not by performance, but by price, and stripped down to the minimum. Which makes them slower than they would have to be.

Often they have just 128 or 256 MB RAM. What a nonsense. Insist on 512 MB RAM, or more if you are a power user. Otherwise you have a nasty bottleneck here. And that just because the vendor thinks you want to save 10 satang and accept the lower performance.

You know, yuyi, there are more people posting here than just me... you can comment on other people's posts too. Or perhaps you are a member of my fanclub?

Let me elaborate on my quoted comment.

1. Slower: They have slower CPUs in general, and they have power-saving modes which slow down the CPU even more. Their RAM is slower, their busses are slower, they lack performance tweaks found in desktops(eg overclocking, dual core, multi-processor), they lack fast graphics, fast harddisks, and fast peripherals (eg dvd writers), they usually trail desktops in terms of technology (ie get SATA/PCI-x slower, multi-core slower, etc).

2. Restrictions and compromises: Limited number of ports (sound, usb, etc), small screens, small keyboards, cooling, heat, speakers, peripherals, etc. My desktop has 6 SATA 7200rpm harddisks, all inside the case. It also has both a DVD writer and DVD reader. It has 8 USB ports, and plenty of other ports. It cost 1/3 as much as a comparable notebook. Limited amount of RAM (desktops can do 4GB, for cheaper), limited expandability, limited options.

Of course, the big "thing" for notebooks is portability. If you need portability, the choice is already made for you.

Notebooks sold in LOS are really no different from other countries. You can find high-end Jap brands and even Macs sold at most IT centers. The RAM installed is a not a show-stopper, you can increase the size for a modest amount.

So you can have desktop power with a notebook, but as you said, it costs a lot extra. And the notebooks offered in LOS are chosen not by performance, but by price, and stripped down to the minimum. Which makes them slower than they would have to be.

Often they have just 128 or 256 MB RAM. What a nonsense. Insist on 512 MB RAM, or more if you are a power user. Otherwise you have a nasty bottleneck here. And that just because the vendor thinks you want to save 10 satang and accept the lower performance.

Thanks for the replies, they are very helpful, keep them coming, with your experineces and opinions!

Now why that? Mac's work great. All software you need is there. The hardware is good and looks good. Why should they switch to Intel, they do have good CPUs already. Just to make them a little cheaper?

It's actually because the PowerPC platform is falling so far behind in the notebook market that Apple is switching. - i.e. Where are the PowerBook G5s?

Think of Apple notebooks with Pentium M processors, and it makes a lot more sense.

Have a look at this thread:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=39904&hl=

I ended up buying the Acer Aspire 5502NWXCi (45,900B). It's been fantastic, now I hate to go back to my desktop :o

Acer Aspire 5502NWXCi

Acer Aspire 5502NWXCi (45,900B)

------------------------------------

Intel Centrino Mobile Technology

Intel® Pentium® M Processor 740

(Processor speed 1.73GHz, 2MB L2 cache, 533MHz FSB)

Intel® 915PM Express Chipset

Integrated Intel® Pro/Wireless 2200BG

Integrated Bluetooth™

512MB DDR2-533 (Max 2GB)

60GB HDD, Weight 2.5 kg.

CD-RW/DVD Combo, 5-in-1 card reader

56K Fax/Modem, 10/100/1000Mbps LAN

14.1” WXGA Acer CrystalBrite TFT LCD(1280x800 pixel)/ S-Video Out

ATI Mobility Radeon X700 64MB

Li-Ion Battery (Avg 3.5 hrs. battery life)

IEEE 1394 port, Infrared port

Acer SignalUp wireless technology support

Linpus Linux BE

1 year warranty (International)

1 year Insurance

I researched notebooks extensively only 2 weeks ago and this was definately the best bang for buck notebook that I found. It matches all your requirements except it has a combo drive but I believe you can update to DVD+R for an extra 5K or so. The only bad point about this PC is that it does get a little warm when maxing it out like gaming, but the games I've played on it run really well thanks to the ATI Mobility Radeon X700 64MB. It also has the latest chipset/cpu/wireless technology (Sonoma)

There is a NEW range of acers out (only a few months old) that would suit most ppls requirements, check them out.

No, I do not work for Acer :D

Edited by Hikage

• 1 month later...

I use Travelmate 290 series, I bought it last year.  Maybe 4050 has no problem but all friends who use ACER, we all got problems.

Good luck.  :o

Thanks for the info

I bought an Acer TravelMate 4603WLMI from Data IT in Pantip Plaza a few months ago.

Intel Pentium M processor 750, 1.86 GHz, 533 MHz FSB, 2 MB L2 cache

15.4" WXGA wide TFT LCD screen

ATI Mobility Radeon X700 PCI Express graphics card with 128 MB VRAM

80 GB HDD

DVD-Dual (DVD +R Double Layer/DVD+/-RW)

768 MB DDR2 RAM

802.11b/g wireless LAN

Bluetooth

No problems so far.

Speaking of Mac, I just bought a 12 inch Powerbook (combo drive/60GB HDD) in Japan for B55,000 when the same model is sold in Thailand for B71,000. Good thing that I can get it duty-free in Japan (but not at duty-free shops for tourists) even as a Japanese citizen as far as I can prove I live overseas while even as a foreigner but as a resident I can't get VAT refund in Thailand. :o When you buy duty-free in Japan you pay less tax so you don't need to claim the refund at the airport which is quite hassle free (no need to show the product at customs either).

Also bought 15 inch PowerBook in Japan for B63,000 last year when the same model was sold for B81,000 after discount in Thailand during COMMART fair. Why is Apple products so expensive in Thailand??? :D

Edited by Nordlys

Speaking of Mac, I just bought a 12 inch Powerbook (combo drive/60GB HDD) in Japan for B55,000 when the same model is sold in Thailand for B71,000. Good thing that I can get it duty-free in Japan (but not at duty-free shops for tourists) even as a Japanese citizen as far as I can prove I live overseas while even as a foreigner but as a resident I can't get VAT refund in Thailand. :o When you buy duty-free in Japan you pay less tax so you don't need to claim the refund at the airport which is quite hassle free (no need to show the product at customs either).

Also bought 15 inch PowerBook in Japan for B63,000 last year when the same model was sold for B81,000 after discount in Thailand during COMMART fair. Why is Apple products so expensive in Thailand??? :D

I don't know what you are talking about, the VAT.

Things at Narita are 5-15% more expensive than at Yodobashi camera shop, retail.

And what you bought, are you saying you are comparing apples to apples? Same configurations?

I found Thailand and Panthip cheaper than Changi airport duty free in Singapore.

Never felt compelled to bring anything from Japan.

Finally, why would Thailand be more expensive? The majority of the components are manufactured in Thai anyway.

The world relies on Hitachi HDDs (former IBM business in New Pethbury). Even iPods have them.

I have never found any price difference so significant not to buy something in Thai. If there was, it was marginal, I wrote it off to having Thai manuals, warranty and power plugs.

I don't know what you are talking about, the VAT.

Things at Narita are 5-15% more expensive than at Yodobashi camera shop, retail.

And what you bought, are you saying you are comparing apples to apples? Same configurations?

I found Thailand and Panthip cheaper than Changi airport duty free in Singapore.

Never felt compelled to bring anything from Japan.

Finally, why would Thailand be more expensive? The majority of the components are manufactured in Thai anyway.

The world relies on Hitachi HDDs (former IBM business in New Pethbury). Even iPods have them.

I have never found any price difference so significant not to buy something in Thai. If there was, it was marginal, I wrote it off to having Thai manuals, warranty and power plugs.

I meant VAT as 5% Japanese sales tax (Shouhizei). I wouldn't call B16,000 and B18,000 price difference of a notebook computer of the exact same model "marginal" (only difference - keyboard, JIS vs. ASCII). Apple PowerBooks are not assembled in Thailand BTW. I know HGST (Hitachi Global Storage Technologies) makes HDD at 103 industrial estate in Prachinburi, including 6GB and 4GB microdrives used for iPod mini. But not only microdrives are more expensive in Thailand than in Japan but it's hardly available here. I really don't care about Thai manuals (no such thing for apple products in Thailand) and apple warranty is worldwide anyway. I didn't buy PowerBooks at Narita airport (or for that matter, I wouldn't buy anything at Narita) nor Yodobashi Camera, but at the cheapest store I found on the famous kakaku.com price ranking site which happened to be in Akihabara (but off the main street, closer to Okachi-machi station than Akihabara station). Much cheaper than Yodobashi or Bic Camera price. If you think electronics are cheaper in Thailand you obviously haven't done shopping either in Japan or Thailand (or your language skill in either Thai or Japanese is too limited as to finding where best to shop, no offence meant though).

Edited by Nordlys