A Mortgage For The Missus.

Does anybody know if it is possible for my wife to take out a mortgage in her name only. She told me that the bank officer told her that they would only grant a mortgage to her if my signature goes on the mortgage documents.

She has her own business and so therefore has her own income and is not reliant my money.

The law states that if legally married that all capital purchases and legal agreements must be signed both individuals.

This is what my wife told me when she could not get her ex to sign the divorce papers she told him no signature from him, no signatures from her - in other words no car, no property, no house. He signed.

The law states that if legally married that all capital purchases and legal agreements must be signed both individuals.

This is what my wife told me when she could not get her ex to sign the divorce papers she told him no signature from him, no signatures from her - in other words no car, no property, no house.  He signed.

Where have you found the information in your first paragraph. Being involved in law, just want to make sure my records are up to date, as 18 months ago my wife had no problem getting a finance agreement for a car without my signature.

Unless there has been some change I think more likely that TizMe has been requested to sign the mortgage as a guarantor, as every bank knows farangs are absolutely rolling in money. :o Banks in Thailand do not for some reason see having a successful business as good security as being a civil servant or in the forces.

This is what my wife told me when she could not get her ex to sign the divorce papers she told him no signature from him, no signatures from her - in other words no car, no property, no house.  He signed.

Where have you found the information in your first paragraph. Being involved in law, just want to make sure my records are up to date, as 18 months ago my wife had no problem getting a finance agreement for a car without my signature.

Unless there has been some change I think more likely that TizMe has been requested to sign the mortgage as a guarantor, as every bank knows farangs are absolutely rolling in money. :o Banks in Thailand do not for some reason see having a successful business as good security as being a civil servant or in the forces.

I just discussed this with a Thai ajarn friend of mine. He says once you are legally married you are considered one. He also said that I am correct that any formal agreements, loans, etc. absolutely do require both signatures.

As for the guarantor, that is true if single or married but if married it would appear that the partner is in effect the guarantor.