Bhum Jai Thai: Politics Is About Kissing Today, Fisticuffs Tomorrow

webfact

THAI TALK

Bhum Jai Thai: Politics is about kissing today, fisticuffs tomorrow

By Suthichai Yoon

The Nation

Last week, I suggested in this column that the "honeymoon period" between the Democrats and Bhum Jai Thai Party is over. But have the two parties reached the break-up point in the coalition?

Am I really that naive to pose that non-question?

Premier Abhisit Vejjajiva has in the past two weeks made it clear that he is ready to dump his most important partner. ("If they aren't comfortable with us, they can leave.") Is Bhum Jai Thai ready to pack up? What kind of question is that?

As far as politics goes, it doesn't seem necessary to dig any deeper to come to the inevitable conclusion: Bhum Jai Thai is desperate to stay in power until the very last minute. In other words, they will do everything possible to avoid being kicked out of the coalition government.

The fascinating part of following such political manoeuvres is to read what the Bhum Jai Thai leaders have to say about their "positioning" under the current political scheme of things.

You know exactly what they want. But you keep hearing that they want something else. They don't want to leave, but they keep saying they won't stay if their conditions aren't met. But then you know there is no such thing as loyalty to the voters. The only constant is their desire to get as many votes as possible in the next election - and to achieve that, they are ready to do or say anything.

That's why it was so revealing to read part of an interview between Anutin Chanveerakul, a key leader of Bhum Jai Thai, and a Matichon reporter:

Q: You have to remain with the Democrats simply because you can't go back to Pheu Thai?

A: Who says we can't go back?

Q: How can you return after your leaders have declared: "The Big Boss has ordered us to be killed?"

A: [Pause]. Today, our position is: What's best for the country comes first. What's best for the party comes second.

Q: Are you saying that Bhum Jai Thai can still work together with Pheu Thai?

A: In politics, nobody can predict the future. You can kiss today and engage in a fight tomorrow. Anything can happen. Now, I am referring to my party and Pheau Paendin, mind you.

Q: When did you kiss each other? When did you engage in a fistfight?

A: Oh! I and Khun Pinit [Charusombat, a leader of the "3Ps" group that's rumoured to be trying to replace Bhum Jai Thai] kiss each other every day. But just when I wasn't watching, I was hit by a big stick.

Q: Did the Democrats help them hit you?

A: No, the Democrats have chosen us instead of the other parties. They know who their real friends are.

Q: Are you happy being part of the coalition?

A: If we weren't happy, how could we stay on? As human beings, what's the point of staying on if we have to suffer?

Q: But you said the other day that you were "uncomfortable" being part of the government. Today, you say you are happy? How do you explain that?

A: Let me explain. There has been misunderstanding all the way from the bottom up. I didn't say I was uncomfortable with the coalition. I said I was uncomfortable because my father [bhum Jai Thai leader Chaovarat] was being criticised for everything he did - and was criticised for everything he didn't do. As a son, do I have the right to feel uncomfortable? I would be an ungrateful son if I didn't feel that way.

Q: Does that mean that even if you feel uncomfortable, you will remain with the Democrats in the coalition?

A: If we think we haven't fulfilled the originally agreed-upon mission, we would have to think about it carefully.

Q: Is the joint mission to sterilise the Pheu Thai Party?

A: No, no. The target isn't Pheu Thai. It's much bigger than that. Do we want to see the country divided like this? That's all I want to say. Let them think about it.

My conclusion: It doesn't matter how you pose the questions. It doesn't really matter how the answers are phrased. The bottom line remains the same.

And what's that? Kick us out? Ease us out? Piling up pressure to pry us out of the coalition? Over our dead body!

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-10-28

It is too bad that the various political parties cannot look at their role as representatives for/of the people instead of like the school ground clicks who are always kicking sand into someones lunch bucket. They apparently refuse to grow up, nor out of this stage of political grade school, so a real arse kicking may be a first step in the final solution.