Kitchen Sink (Everything But)

Suradit

I'm looking for a replacement "strainer basket" for my kitchen sink. The thing that can either plug the drain hole or allow water through, but prevents anything going down the drain that's likely to block it.

The obvious source would be HomePro. They have kitchen sinks for sale and they have the strainer baskets in them, but when we ask for replacements of those the boys & girls who allegedly work there and who wander the aisles chatting on their mobile phones, look perplexed or dazed. I've also tried a few randomly selected hardware shops as well as the northern Big C and Carrefour with no success.

Anyone ever run across something like this in Pattaya? It seems like it ought to be a reasonably common thing for a plumbing supplier to stock.

post-109025-018498500 1288249860_thumb.j

I had the same problem a while back. They wouldn't sell me such a thing; rather they suggested I buy an entirely new kitchen sink. I solved this by just getting stainless steel strainer type of thing, available at Central department store, Villa market, etc.

I am not sure if they have what you are looking for, but there is a pretty big shop in Photisan road that sells this kind of things for plumbers. If you come from South Pattaya on Sukhumvit Road, Photisan is the road on the left just before Bangkok Pattaya hospital. The shop in question is about 200 meters on the left hand side of the road (if you come from Sukhumvit Road. You can easily see from the road a lot of tubes and pipes in the shop.

I am not sure if they have what you are looking for, but there is a pretty big shop in Photisan road that sells this kind of things for plumbers. If you come from South Pattaya on Sukhumvit Road, Photisan is the road on the left just before Bangkok Pattaya hospital. The shop in question is about 200 meters on the left hand side of the road (if you come from Sukhumvit Road. You can easily see from the road a lot of tubes and pipes in the shop.

Ok. Thanks. Sounds hopeful. Although I've been in that area a number of times, I can't picture the place, but I'll have to check it out.

Ok. Thanks. Sounds hopeful. Although I've been in that area a number of times, I can't picture the place, but I'll have to check it out.

Unfortunately, it's the only way to acquire one. Just shop around the local hardware stores.....anything apart from HomePro, HomeWorks, etc.

The only one who might have it, is Boonthavorn along Sukhumvit, between Pattaya Klaang and Pattaya Nua; West Side.

There's a plumbing/hardware shop on Theprasit on the north side of the street close to the Thrappaya intersection that sometimes have them. You might check the HomeMarts at Pattaya Thai or Theprasit on Sukhumvit , Kanyong on Sukhmvitt between Chiyapook and Soi Wat Boon.

You may not be able to buy the strainer by itself, but you can buy the strainer and drain assembly (the part that attaches to the sink) as a set. Some sinks do not come with strainer/drains so they are available.

There are some sinks that use what they call a popup strainer, they have a screw and nut on the bottom of the strainer to adjust the height of the popup. The strainer is raised and lowered by turning a knob on the sink. These can only be obtained as a replacement part from the sink manufacturer (Teka for example). I have never seen a popup strainer/drain assembly for a sink, sold in Pattaya.

Edited by BB1950

• 2 weeks later...

Saw them this morning in Homeworks next ro Big C on Sukhunvit

I never made it up north to the place suggested by someone else, but we went to Homeworks this morning and found it. Had to buy the whole assembly, only B 215, but since it was the same manufacturer the strainer was an exact fit. Thanks for your post. It saved me a lot more running around.

Over the years I have learned that asking for something in a Thai shop is often useless. Either they dont know whether they have the requested item or they dont understand what I ask for. Either way they resolve it by answering "No have". Of course, often I get the help I ask for, but a negative answer should not be taken to seriously. Look around the store yourself or talk to another of the staff. Not long ago I asked for batteries at Family Mart. Clerk insisted they did not stock it, which I found really hard to believe. Showed her a battery in case she misunderstood, but she was persistent until I spotted a battery rack right on the counter!!! Might be amusing the first time, but why on earth do the staff so rarely admit they dont know something?

A friend of mine broke a hinge on the toilet seat. The closest he has gotten to get any help is some suggestions to buy an entire new toilet. Not surprised at all that somebody suggested buying a whole new sink...

WB