Stopped By Police With 9 Piglets In Back Of Pick Up!

Scully

I have read everyones stories regarding building thousands of baht on farms and I presume its all done in the wife's name?.

I know you cannot work on a farm as its one of the jobs only Thai's are allowed to do and am often paranoid while transporting livestock.

To cut a long story short I was pulled over by the police with live piglets in a covered wood and bamboo cage in the back full of pigs. The police asked for my driving license and then asked if I was growing pigs my girlfriend replied no they were hers and I was transpoting them for her.

The police man then replied in English thankyou and I replied Kopunkap and carried on with my journey.

I know I was dealing with traffic police however has anyone ever had any trouble with immigration police regarding "helping out" on the family farm.

I would like hints and tips about staying under the radar as I like to help on the family farm but don't want any trouble with my visa as I only "help" and recieve no reward. :whistling:

Edited by Scully

Hi Scully Police came to the familys house some months ago and wondering about the tractors the car and the amount of land that the family now farm. They suspected that the family was in to the drug trade. They just said please look around and then explained that they had a "farang" in the family. Police just said "ok now understand" and drove off.

Regards Mikki B)

I was the first farang in my locale. So, I stood out like a sore thumb. Never had any problems with the police. Well, apart from my donations to our pet charity ( B.I.B., in Bkk., not where I live). They are well aware of "her" land purchases.I cart many things in my etan, cassava, rice, cement, sand, gravel concrete posts, the list goes on. Nary a problem. Actually, the Thais themselves LOVE to see me driving my etan. It shows I live more like them, than some--------, your choice of words. 555555

I had a 6-wheeler truck in the past and drove it throughout Nakhon Sawan (hauling cattle and feed), to Nakhon Pathom (hauling a very sick bull to animal hospital), to Samut Prakan (hauling back several large drums of electric cable), and to Rayong (hauling back 5 tonnes of rubber saplings); I often used to drive my Ford tractor, sometimes hitched to my 6-wheeler trailer, within my tambon; drove my pickup regularly to purchase piglets. I’ve been stopped at regular police checks often – never had a problem (have a Thai 10-wheeler HGV licence, in case you are wondering).

The ordinary police are very unlikely to be concerned. The Immigration Police haven’t seemed to be much bothered when I’ve let it slip to them in the past, though I’d hate to meet them whilst engaged in work. I would certainly not have liked to have been surprised by the Labour Department.

Whilst working on the farm in the past, assisting with very physically demanding tasks, I generally made sure that I employed enough labour and that my assistance was therefore not depriving a Thai of work but was enabling them to complete a task quicker or more easily – that would have been my defence in the event of any challenge.

I’m more of a Gentleman Farmer this past year though due to arthritis – and enjoying the farm even more!

Rgds

Khonwan

EDIT: Typo.

Edited by Khonwan

Thanks for the replies, I know everbody in the village knows the score and its reasuring to know that we are creating jobs for the locals.

Unlike many farrang I have not invested millions however if I had, I think maybe a little more paranoia would have set in than at present.

The local people all know of me and get on well with our neighbours, I just thought there might be some horror stories of immigration police visits due to the odd jealous Thai family.

Oh well thanks for the reasurrance and its back to the sh1t shovelling . :rolleyes:

Thanks for the replies, I know everbody in the village knows the score and its reasuring to know that we are creating jobs for the locals.

Unlike many farrang I have not invested millions however if I had, I think maybe a little more paranoia would have set in than at present.

The local people all know of me and get on well with our neighbours, I just thought there might be some horror stories of immigration police visits due to the odd jealous Thai family.

Oh well thanks for the reasurrance and its back to the sh1t shovelling . :rolleyes:

I finally managed to get a decent heavy duty square mouth shovel yesterday for exactly the same purpose. So much better than the cheap tin junk ones that have been all there is around here. Now the job is so much better.

Besides, when you wack a decent sized pig over the noggin with this one they stay hit!:whistling::blink:

Isaan Aussie

The Animal Control Department stopped me after I passed their checkpoint with a load of little pigs.

There was no trouble,

they just saw me pass them by without stopping to say hi,

so they sent a truck with two men up the road chasing after me.

They could see that I simply didn't know they were there.

We went back to the checkpoint together,

signed into their logbook,

showed them the purchase receipt

and sent me on the way,

They even had a water hose to keep the pigs cool while waiting.

When we sold similar pigs out of the valley, and out of province,

we went first to the downtown Animal Control Department,

where the Customer filed the necessary report

so any checkpoints along the way would be satisfied.

When moving animals from province to province,

the concern is more that the animals be healthy,

and that you have made notification of moving them

than whether or not you work while doing it.

Everyone in these transactions could see that I'd been working,

unless I'd been especially untidy in my normal relaxed condition.

When we moved goats from Pattaya to Mae Sot,

Animal Control said that animals under 6 months aren't a worry.

Over that age required a blood test.

No checkpoint on that trip cared that we hauled animals.

Hey guys start thinking Thai. If you are stopped by the BIB then immediately try selling them a pig. Ignore whatever they are saying and continue to show your wares. Bring them over closer, start to open the pen door, even grab a pig by the leg and start to drag out so they can see better. Bet you right now, it won't be worth the effort to them and they will shoo you on your way.

Hi Scully Police came to the familys house some months ago and wondering about the tractors the car and the amount of land that the family now farm. They suspected that the family was in to the drug trade. They just said please look around and then explained that they had a "farang" in the family. Police just said "ok now understand" and drove off.

Regards Mikki B)

cool, so you are as rich as a drug lord! :whistling:

We all know that a Farang is not allowed to work in Thailand without a work permit. Generally not to worry about traffic police. BUT: If you have a neighbour that doesen't like your nose, he may want to "signal you" at the proper authorities, in case you are "working". This is the real danger. Even in rural Thailand, more and more folks are aware of the fact that a Farang is not allowed to work ! The more important it is, to make friends (not enemies) in your neighborhood. Cheers.

Regards Mikki B)

cool, so you are as rich as a drug lord! :whistling:

yepp at least i was before i started farming :D now im not B) Mikki

We all know that a Farang is not allowed to work in Thailand without a work permit. Generally not to worry about traffic police. BUT: If you have a neighbour that doesen't like your nose, he may want to "signal you" at the proper authorities, in case you are "working". This is the real danger. Even in rural Thailand, more and more folks are aware of the fact that a Farang is not allowed to work ! The more important it is, to make friends (not enemies) in your neighborhood. Cheers.

The majority of us all know not to make enemies and make friends, the general concensus here sounds like keep your nose clean.

Regarding working I live in a small village on the outskirts of a medium sized town and when Thais see me working I never get anything other than praise. The usual reply goes along the line of its nice to see a farrang working I thought they all sat around all day drinking, as someone said the Thais seem to respect you more if you live like them and that includes shovelling sh1t .

Keeping busy keeps me sane as I could'nt sit around all day.

Thanks for your replies.

Good stories ... Whether it is farming or some other worthwhile pursuit, one of the great advantages living here in Thailand is when you have a good answer / story to either Thai officialdom or the average Somchai Thai to the question: So ... What is it you actually DO while you are here in Thailand?

yepp at least i was before i started farming :D now im not B) Mikki

reminds me of the farmer in canada they interviewed back many years ago after he'd won like a million in the lottery. they asked him what his plans were now that he was a millionaire. he said he'd keep farming until it was all gone.

• 5 weeks later...

It is sure. And what about if it happens? What happens under the thai law to a farang caught working without wp / in a forbidden job? (i.e. farming)

Many thanks

Max

I was the first farang in my locale. So, I stood out like a sore thumb. Never had any problems with the police. Well, apart from my donations to our pet charity ( B.I.B., in Bkk., not where I live). They are well aware of "her" land purchases.I cart many things in my etan, cassava, rice, cement, sand, gravel concrete posts, the list goes on. Nary a problem. Actually, the Thais themselves LOVE to see me driving my etan. It shows I live more like them, than some--------, your choice of words. 555555

I was wondering...are those etans as noisy to drive as they are to pass? How's your hearing or have you got a muffler on yours?

Anyway good luck to you, we have to pay somebody to cart our stuff around...