Buying Jewelery

therealmrbrightside

I recently looked in a Jewelers on walking street to price a ring. The woman showed me -according to her an 18ct gold with single diamond ring. Costing 18,000THB. After a short discussion she told me she would bring the price down to 15,000. I don't really have much knowledge in precious metals or stones. Is that expensive? Is the fact that she was willing to come down in price quickly, a reason not to buy? She said she will give a guarantee and certificate of authenticity. Any advice? Cheers.

This is the first that i've heard 18k in thailand.All I hear is 23k.

You need to get out. All gold shops stock some 18k gold rings and other assorted jewelry. All the real jewelry stores stock almost exclusively 18k jewelry. You see, 23k Thai gold jewelry isn't really jewelry in the strict sense, but pure gold mainly for investment. 18k gold jewelry always costs far more than the gold it contains, and they aren't sold by weight of gold.

^ Correct 23k is too soft for jewelry, almost always 18K or lower for rings etc.

So the gold was 18k and the diamond was? if its just a piece of coloured stone or a very impure diamond going to be cheap, ask what the size and grade is, then look it up...

^ Correct 23k is too soft for jewelry, almost always 18K or lower for rings etc.

So the gold was 18k and the diamond was? if its just a piece of coloured stone or a very impure diamond going to be cheap, ask what the size and grade is, then look it up...

fairy tales don't come true no matter how often they are repeated by those who possess a wealth of "no idea" about gold and jewelry.

:ph34r:

fairy tales don't come true no matter how often they are repeated by those who possess a wealth of "no idea" about gold and jewelry.

BUYER - BEWARE..............Would you really get an 18 K Gold ring and a large diamond in the UK for 300 quid....or any where in Europe ?

The GOLD shops here in Thailand sell almost pure 24 K Gold for wearing but mainly as an investement. It is sold in "Gold Bahts" approx just under 1/2 an ounce of pure gold.

The Thais prefer it in the form of necklaces mostly so they can hang a "Budhha" locket on it. You pay more than the posted gold rate for the "workmanship".

You can also buy ingots for investment as well - but most shops prefer you to buy the jewelry.

Jewelry shops in Thailand sell both 18K & 14 K and sometimes 9K gold. They also sell a lot of 24 K Gold Plated items.

Most large "Diamonds" are actually Cubic Zirconium. As a rough guide this letter "O" is under half a carat if it were a diamond and a flawless one that size would be thousands of U.S. Dollars. Not 15,000 baht.

If you are tempted to buy the GOLD BAHT ...I believe (not totally sure) foreigners are not allowed to take it out of the country ?

My humble opinion is that if you are not sure about something or have doubts then ...don't. and my advise about buying anything on Walking Street is the same ...don't.

Hmmm

Yes some constructive comments there, i will take them on board. fuc_k too late.

Got the ring, got a certificate. Jobs a good un'

Thanks anyway. :lol:

Just curious, what was the stated gold weight and diamond size quoted on the certificate?

Hmmm

Yes some constructive comments there, i will take them on board. fuc_k too late.

Just curious, what was the stated gold weight and diamond size quoted on the certificate?

I don't have the document to hand because i'm out of town, but i'm sure the gold was described only as 18ct and the diamond i think 13ct.

That may be wrong but 90% sure thats what it says.

Hmmm

I don't have the document to hand because i'm out of town, but i'm sure the gold was described only as 18ct and the diamond i think 13ct.

Pity you don't have the exact details as I could have given you an approximate manufacturing cost (based on gold weight and estimated diamond quality (most good jewellery shops in Thailand use Si/ I-J diamonds as a minimum quality for their 18ct rings) then you would have known if you were paying too much.

I'm sure the stone size would be .13, or 0.13 carats as a 13 carat stone would have blown your jewellery budget for the next fifty or sixty years!!!.......unless you're very, very rich!

I think given the stone size, the price you paid and if the setting has some substance, that you have done alright, but really all that matters is that you like the ring and you feel good about your purchase......Enjoy, your only here once, remember... there are no pockets in a shroud! ;)

BUYER - BEWARE..............Would you really get an 18 K Gold ring and a large diamond in the UK for 300 quid....or any where in Europe ?

The GOLD shops here in Thailand sell almost pure 24 K Gold for wearing but mainly as an investement. It is sold in "Gold Bahts" approx just under 1/2 an ounce of pure gold.

The Thais prefer it in the form of necklaces mostly so they can hang a "Budhha" locket on it. You pay more than the posted gold rate for the "workmanship".

You can also buy ingots for investment as well - but most shops prefer you to buy the jewelry.

Jewelry shops in Thailand sell both 18K & 14 K and sometimes 9K gold. They also sell a lot of 24 K Gold Plated items.

Most large "Diamonds" are actually Cubic Zirconium. As a rough guide this letter "O" is under half a carat if it were a diamond and a flawless one that size would be thousands of U.S. Dollars. Not 15,000 baht.

If you are tempted to buy the GOLD BAHT ...I believe (not totally sure) foreigners are not allowed to take it out of the country ?

My humble opinion is that if you are not sure about something or have doubts then ...don't. and my advise about buying anything on Walking Street is the same ...don't.

what is your source of this?

Where do people come up with this sort of nonsense? You can take it out of the country, and because the gold is in the form of jewelry there won't be a limit to how much. This is one of the advantages of buying thai baht gold jewelry.

My philosopy is Jewelry does not feed me, make me comfortable, shield me from the heat or cold or stop the rain from falling on me. It is entirely unnecessary and would not benefit me in any way. The only "piece" I own is a $8 USD electronic watch purchased from Wal Mart. While I unserstand Jewelry I shudder everytime I look at some of the countries, India for example where so many of the Poor literally are fixated on Gold and will kill themselves to gather up enough gold to bring to their wedding.

And as far as the wedding or engagement ring and the "you have to buy a big expensive ring to show me you love me", well, I think the money going into a better house, or more in the retirement account is better. Hmmmm, maybe that is why I am still single?

Where do people come up with this sort of nonsense? You can take it out of the country, and because the gold is in the form of jewelry there won't be a limit to how much. This is one of the advantages of buying thai baht gold jewelry.

http://www.mfa.go.th/web/169.php

The Thai ministry of foreign affairs web site...what it states about gold is not very clear - hence my wording in my original post (not totaly sure) if you can read and can read English well you would not have to get so worked up about such things and blow script to massive proportions. You really must have a sad existance if such things that I post on T.V. get you so worked up ...take a chill pill and use the computer to google a little more and educate yourselves.......

If you care to go to this link it will tell you that NON residents of Thailand cannot import or export gold (except in the form of jewelry) But I have been told jewelry of 18K NOT the 24 K Gold Baht jewelry. I am not about to go through BKK airport witha bag load of "Gold Bullion" in any shape or form to find out the hard way...

Edited by Rimmer
General Flame

Hmmm

Pity you don't have the exact details as I could have given you an approximate manufacturing cost (based on gold weight and estimated diamond quality (most good jewellery shops in Thailand use Si/ I-J diamonds as a minimum quality for their 18ct rings) then you would have known if you were paying too much.

I'm sure the stone size would be .13, or 0.13 carats as a 13 carat stone would have blown your jewellery budget for the next fifty or sixty years!!!.......unless you're very, very rich!

I think given the stone size, the price you paid and if the setting has some substance, that you have done alright, but really all that matters is that you like the ring and you feel good about your purchase......Enjoy, your only here once, remember... there are no pockets in a shroud! ;)

Hahaha 0.13 carats sounds more realistic in my case, and as you said i like the ring and my good lady loves it so we're both happy. :D