Best Advise To Give Someone Who Will Be Working Or Living In Thailand

livinthailandos

Most of you out there have either worked here a long time or have lived here a long time. Was wondering if you had to give someone advise about thailand about living here long term or working here what advise would you give, in order for them to be able to adjust to being in thailand

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would say with the way Thailand is heading as a country . DONT. Unless the person in question is coming to Thailand to take up a really good job. 150,000 baht a month plus. If they are coming to start a business then i would tell them forget about it. Might as well go to Vegas and put all there money on red or black.

Advise them not to read this site too much, they'll think Thailand's a terrible place and get depressed. smile.gif

You are not always silly. That was my first thought too. :D

I would say with the way Thailand is heading as a country . DONT. Unless the person in question is coming to Thailand to take up a really good job. 150,000 baht a month plus. If they are coming to start a business then i would tell them forget about it. Might as well go to Vegas and put all there money on red or black.

:whistling:

Advise them not to read this site too much, they'll think Thailand's a terrible place and get depressed. smile.gif

:lol:

My advice...make sure its a good paying job, put money away, be very careful about trusting any long term expats in Thailand and dont buy into the rosey spectacled version of Thailand and finally it is not mandatory to be at one with your "Thainess" contray to what people tell you.

ps....shorts, flip flops, "Chang" vests and /or football shirts and a huge medallion are not really the chique fashion statement they are made out to be for farangs....:whistling:

Edited by Soutpeel

. Unless the person in question is coming to Thailand to take up a really good job. 150,000 baht a month plus.

You think 150k/month is a really good job ??:cheesy: .....talk 500k + a month and we are starting to get warmer...

150k/m is an ok job I guess

Don't believe people who tell you shortcuts around visas & work permits will be OK.

Agreed ----

1) sort out your non-imm-MULTI entry visa before coming here. (Don't have your visa/permission to stay totally tied to your job)

2) Learn Thai

3) Read --- including the highly outdated Culture Shock! Thailand. If working in a professional environment it may save you from some extremely harsh results from what would normally be a small faux passe in other countries.

1. Rent do not buy, until you have been here awhile and have developed an understanding of living conditions and neighborhoods.

2. Do not try to get around ownership and work rules. The cost of non compliance far exceeds any savings or "profit" such activity will bring.

3. Be polite yet firm. Be deferential, but dignified and project an image of strength.

4. Try to learn some of the language.

5. Adapt to the environment or perish.

6. Trust (within reason) the Thais that tell you when you are wrong or that are not afraid to disagree with you. Do not trust anyone that always agrees with you.

7. Have an exit strategy, an emergancy escape plan and update it regularly.

8. Learn to use the transit systems asap if living in BKK

1. Rent do not buy, until you have been here awhile and have developed an understanding of living conditions and neighborhoods.

2. Do not try to get around ownership and work rules. The cost of non compliance far exceeds any savings or "profit" such activity will bring.

3. Be polite yet firm. Be deferential, but dignified and project an image of strength.

4. Try to learn some of the language.

5. Adapt to the environment or perish.

6. Trust (within reason) the Thais that tell you when you are wrong or that are not afraid to disagree with you. Do not trust anyone that always agrees with you.

7. Have an exit strategy, an emergancy escape plan and update it regularly.

8. Learn to use the transit systems asap if living in BKK

9. Dont marry the first Thai girl that winks at you...:rolleyes:

. Unless the person in question is coming to Thailand to take up a really good job. 150,000 baht a month plus.

You think 150k/month is a really good job ??:cheesy: .....talk 500k + a month and we are starting to get warmer...

150k/m is an ok job I guess

Yes sir, sorry sir . Arrrrr i bet your wife really loves you :lol:

You took the words out of my mouth.

After traveling to and spending much time in Thailand over the years, I decided that the Pros do not outweigh the Cons long term. I still enjoy spending time in Thailand, I just will not put down roots and commit capital to living there full time. Also part of the reason I now live in Costa Rica.

You took the words out of my mouth.

After traveling to and spending much time in Thailand over the years, I decided that the Pros do not outweigh the Cons long term. I still enjoy spending time in Thailand, I just will not put down roots and commit capital to living there full time. Also part of the reason I now live in Costa Rica.

Now Costa Rica thats a nice country. To the OP tell the person who is thinking about moving to Thailand to Costa Rica instead,

1 .Costa Rica has better and much much cleaner beaches than Thailand.

2. The locals dont just judge you becuase of your skin colour

3. Real Laws not run like a childrens playschool.

4 The women in Costa Rica in general are much better looking.

The list could go on and on me thinks.

Dont get me wrong Thailand is ok but far from good.

Edited by dansat

The same advice I would offer as an expat applies to anyone thinking of resettling in a strange land, TL is no exception.

Do your homework well in advance, learn the law of the land, especially that concerning business or work.

Learn the basics of the language.

Learn that not all street wise expats - or locals - where you land are trustworthy.

If you have a blind side, learn to hide it.

Do not burn all your bridges.

Do not let your heart, or other portions of your body, rule your mind.

Make common sense your number one priority.

There, I've said it without one bad word about TL (which I love).

I would say there has been some pretty good advice posted here, in general. But from your brief post, I have some questions:

1. Do you have a job and a work permit? Or what kind of visa do you have?

2. How old are you?

3. Why do you want to live here? And where do you plan to live?

4. What country are you coming from?

5. Have you been to Thailand for any extended period?

It's a pretty steep learning curve at first here... Be careful and a bit humble, it's not like wherever you came from...

Its starts in the bedroom and ends in the courtroom..

Allow me to put a Thai twist on this phrase....we should be saying

Its starts in the beer bar and hopefully ends in a court room... but will most likely end with a spot of balcony diving or a contract hit...:rolleyes:

Edited by Soutpeel

Thailand probably has more beautiful available women than any other country on the planet. Pace yourself.

In other countries you may have to resort to marriage to be with a beautiful woman. Not so Thailand. Pace yourself.

In other countries there may be reasons to buy things. In Thailand there are many lease opportunities. Pace yourself.

Thailand is not England. Pace yourself.

You will never run out of beautiful women in Thailand. Don't worry. Pace yourself.

Hi so women and lo so women have one big difference. If you find out what it is email me because I have not found it. Pace yourself.