Best Advise To Give Someone Who Will Be Working Or Living In Thailand

livinthailandos

Maybe we should *all* get back to the topic (now that Mark45 has now performed his usual obligatory obsessed-with-sex routine)?

P.S. It is true that Wilde was mostly gay, though he did marry and have children, and though he was a literary genius he was a fool and a failure at running his own life. He did consort with prostitutes who blackmailed him (no angels on either side there) and his one 'true love' was a self-obsessed and damaged young monster who abused him into ruin. Not exactly a portrait of self-esteem.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another piece of advice to be added to the list.

"If your Satellite TV packs up, get it fixed as quickly as you can, lest the absence of whatever it is you would have been watching via satellite leaves you with nothing to do but pour out keyboard diarrhea on Internet Forums".

Edited by GuestHouse

Maybe we should *all* get back to the topic (now that Mark45 has now performed his usual obligatory obsessed-with-sex routine)?

P.S. It is true that Wilde was mostly gay, though he did marry and have children, and though he was a literary genius he was a fool and a failure at running his own life. He did consort with prostitutes who blackmailed him (no angels on either side there) and his one 'true love' was a self-obsessed and damaged young monster who abused him into ruin. Not exactly a portrait of self-esteem.

Thank you for the clarification about Oscar Wilde. It is a bit better than Geriatrickid's characterization “his depraved sexual desires. A pox on Mr. Wilde and his cadre of elitist snots.”

Being a sexual libertine and not bothered by day to day living in such places like Pattaya I seldom worry about the sexual orientation of people and whether they have a preference of naked men.

I also realize many people who work in Pattaya have a preference for naked men at night and go home to the wife after work. Nice to hear Oscar was rather Thai like in that respect.

I would like to point out than many of us have a bit of wisdom along with our foolishness.

My wisdom understated or overstated along with my sexual obsessions was one of the dangers cultural ethnocentrism.

I thought I said something along the line when in the nation of squinty men it is wise to squint. Or if not squinting at least not berating people who do squint.

Response to inthepink

It is difficult to talk about sex in Thailand without treating the object of your affection as a commodity.

This, I believe, depends on the object of your affections and not what country you live in. if you think it is particular to Thailand then, as someone else suggested, it probably has more to do with who you decide to lavish your affection on rather than Thai females as a whole. My original reason for replying to your post was because you seemed to be suggesting that it was not wise to enter into a committed, long term relationship with a Thai woman and from reading your further comments I was correct in my original interpretation of your thoughts.

Re. your later comment about Thai people not understanding why Bill Clinton got into trouble for his dalliance with Monica Lewinsky, I think that's a very bad example if you are trying to demonstrate that they do not understand democracy. Many Frenchmen would have a similar problem understanding what all the fuss was about. Americans can come across as rather puritanical to people of many nationalities.

Whilst disagreeing with your advice and basic perspective on life in Thailand I applaud your honesty and certainly wouldn't try to suggest that I have never enjoyed the "nightlife" here, because I have. I have also been lucky enough to meet some genuinely nice girls who were not interested in money and were honest and intelligent - something that is a rarity in many countries around the world.

Edited by inthepink

Perhaps some one can clarify the difference between Thai morality and English morality.

If I was new and planning on coming to Thailand I certainly would want to know.

I am not speaking about the naughty nightlife. I mean normal Thai men and women.

Im going to ask everyone to discuss the topic only.

the OP is asking for advice about thailand. feel free to give specific tips and advice, relate your experiences. but refrain from the personal insults please

As the OP gives no background as to age, gender, nationality, current job/living situation, job sought in Thailand, where OP desires to live in Thailand, etc. etc. it is difficult to offer any tailored and specific advice -- just a bunch of jaded wisdom and homilies and what certain persons observed during their Summer of '63 ...

In response to living in bangkok...

If you come to bkk to live bare in mind that location is critical. It would deffintaley take a few trips if not someone to show you around to find somewhere that you really feel happy with. Its worth trying not to commit yourself to one location or at least travel around, get to know a few areas before you settle down. (this, i know is not alwasy possible and difficult to do as most places want you to rent for a minimum of 3 to 6 months if you want a decent rent).

Personally i recommend ratchadapisek (around fortune) as my best place to rent in the centre of bkk. it has soo many pros; you right on the subway (Rama 9), IT mall, tesco lotus, espenlade is close by (for the gym, cinema and all tht), good places for food (street food and fancy stuff), there are some good schools nearby, RCA and hua khwang night market are just a stones throw away which is brilliant for evening entertainment . They are building a central right across from fortune now and there are going to be some more good quality condos out the back of that in the next few years. Or if your like me at the back of fortune (ratchada soi 3) there are some really cheap apartments for rent ( i paid 6,000 a month for a decent size one two years back). The place has alot going for it and it really makes me feel like im back in the west (which is nice sometimes).

No matter where you choose to live bare in mind that if your like me, (a fair bit off being a native speaker) its pritty important being able to tell your taxi driver where you want to go. No good if its somewhere hard to prenounce, describe and no-ones ever heard off i normally tell them somewhere everyones heard of and end up walking the last little bit if its too complicated. Its really embarrising to have to hand over a map with instructions in thai that a friend has drawn . especially if you dont know where they are taking you

i suppose what im trying to say is lifes alot easier when everything you need is close by and you can use the subway. choose wisely.

The advice that has been given has been good however as usual we get side tracked and starting debating Oscar Wilde.

So my advice would be if you drink tea fill a suit case with tea bags as even though we are a stones throw from china tea bags are ridiculously expensive. :unsure:

The advice that has been given has been good however as usual we get side tracked and starting debating Oscar Wilde.

So my advice would be if you drink tea fill a suit case with tea bags as even though we are a stones throw from china tea bags are ridiculously expensive. :unsure:

The Chinese don't use tea bags, and British tea, like polo, comes from India (and Sri Lanka)

(to the best of my knowledge)

SC

By way of advice: If the person is the sort to take advice, they won't need it, and if they need advice to get by here, they'll probably not listen, and insist on making thier own mistakes - the same as the rest of us. If they're the sort to take advice, they'll ask questions - if they don't ask questions, they're probably not the sort to listen to clues...

Edited by StreetCowboy

Ok, from a different perspective and I am being totally candid.

I have never visited or spent time in any country that has the frequency of foreign deaths as in Thailand.

I have never witnessed or read about more suicides where the victim was found with a plastic bag over his head, hands tied behind his back, hanging by the neck and it is called suicide. :whistling:

Nor have I visited or spent time in any country with a higher frequency of jumpers in my life. Come on, how many of the hundreds of people who take a long walk off a tall building actually do so of their own accord.

Nor have a visited, lived in or spent time in any country that has as corrupt government and police force in all my life, which is saying something as I lived in Colombia for a number of years.

Nor have I ever been anywhere on this planet where the women are more mercenary than Thailand. Period, full stop.

The aspect of face and the xenophobic nature of Thais in general will continue to keep Thailand in the realm of feudalism in an elitest society, broken down into the haves and have nots, while the lowly farang ranks down with soi dogs.

I will continue to visit Thailand and spend a few months a year as a tourist, but could never call her home due to the above issues and many, many more.

Ok, from a different perspective and I am being totally candid.

I have never visited or spent time in any country that has the frequency of foreign deaths as in Thailand.

I have never witnessed or read about more suicides where the victim was found with a plastic bag over his head, hands tied behind his back, hanging by the neck and it is called suicide. :whistling:

Nor have I visited or spent time in any country with a higher frequency of jumpers in my life. Come on, how many of the hundreds of people who take a long walk off a tall building actually do so of their own accord.

Nor have a visited, lived in or spent time in any country that has as corrupt government and police force in all my life, which is saying something as I lived in Colombia for a number of years.

Nor have I ever been anywhere on this planet where the women are more mercenary than Thailand. Period, full stop.

The aspect of face and the xenophobic nature of Thais in general will continue to keep Thailand in the realm of feudalism in an elitest society, broken down into the haves and have nots, while the lowly farang ranks down with soi dogs.

I will continue to visit Thailand and spend a few months a year as a tourist, but could never call her home due to the above issues and many, many more.

I read your post and then went to sleep. My subconscious mind must have been considering it because when I got up this morning I had an answer.

Some of the things you say are the truth. I can see it as your truth. And for you I imagine it is 100% correct.

I had one of the best years of my life when I first moved to Thailand 6 years ago. I transferred a substantial sum of money into a Thai bank at 40 baht to the dollar.

My apartment in Chiang Mai was new spacious and only 8000 baht a month.

Money in the bank and cheap booze and cheap women.

I love cheap apartments (easy and quick to leave), cheap booze and cheap women. Those aren't necessarily bad things.

I don't know any jumpers.

The xenophobic nature of Thais has never bothered me.

I think young men coming to Thailand are a bit silly, not bad but a bit silly. If one has to work to live in Thailand that may also be a bit silly. However, working for fun or a bit of extra cash is doable.

My hobby is having short term relationships with women I have never met before. For those who are looking for long term relationships similar to those found in the west, Thailand may not be the ideal place as there are many cultural differences. One can ignore the cultural differences or deny their existence. But sooner or later it makes your head explode. That person is better off being a visitor to Thailand or surround yourself with other deluded folks in a gated expat community.

The only two things in life that make it worth livin'

Is guitars that tune good and firm feelin' women

I don't need my name in the marquee lights

I got my song and I got you with me tonight

Maybe it's time we got back to the basics of love. (old country song)

Actually one can purchase a decent guitar in Thailand and I kind of like Thai country music. And the firm feelin' women are all over the place.

You are of course right about mercenary women but there are two sides to every issue. If you are looking for love Thailand may be the last place to find it. But if you are looking for a short term reasonable facsimile of love Thailand is paradise.

My advice would be to embrace Thailand for what it is because it will not embrace you for being something it is not.

Re: Post #74: (old country song) Not so old ... Waylon Jennings' Luckenbach Texas (1977) ; not Hank Williams -- WJ also had a great song about Hank Williams:

Somebody told me when I got to Nashville

Son you finally got it made

Old Hank made it here, we're all sure that you will

But I don't think Hank done it this way

I don't think Hank done it this way

. Unless the person in question is coming to Thailand to take up a really good job. 150,000 baht a month plus.

You think 150k/month is a really good job ??:cheesy: .....talk 500k + a month and we are starting to get warmer...

150k/m is an ok job I guess

Almost £3,000 a month is just ok? So, you would not recommend life in Thailand unless you can earn over 10x what Thai people earn?

Do you need a butler by any chance? I'll pm you my cv :)

Not recommending anything, just commenting on what a certain poster thinks is a "really good job", lets face it....$3000/month or 36k a year or 24k pounds not exactly living the high life is it ?, and we havent factored in the tax either.....24k pound/year in the is somewhere around national "average" in the UK, not sure were it sits in the US, but guessing " the lower average" income....

If in Thailand and had house, car etc paid for and 3k/,month cash in hand, suppose it would be liveable, you could make ends meet...but still not a decent salary for an "expat" position.

You can send me a CV if you are prepared to wash the Aston Martin and Rolls occasionally....:rolleyes:

Most of you out there have either worked here a long time or have lived here a long time. Was wondering if you had to give someone advise about thailand about living here long term or working here what advise would you give' date=' in order for them to be able to adjust to being in thailand[/quote']

Rule number one: LEAVE YOUR WIFE IN YOUR HOME COUNTRY. B)

. Unless the person in question is coming to Thailand to take up a really good job. 150,000 baht a month plus.

You think 150k/month is a really good job ??:cheesy: .....talk 500k + a month and we are starting to get warmer...

Almost £3,000 a month is just ok? So, you would not recommend life in Thailand unless you can earn over 10x what Thai people earn?

Not recommending anything, just commenting on what a certain poster thinks is a "really good job", lets face it....$3000/month or 36k a year or 24k pounds not exactly living the high life is it ?, and we havent factored in the tax either.....24k pound/year in the is somewhere around national "average" in the UK, not sure were it sits in the US, but guessing " the lower average" income....

If in Thailand and had house, car etc paid for and 3k/,month cash in hand, suppose it would be liveable, you could make ends meet...but still not a decent salary for an "expat" position.

You can send me a CV if you are prepared to wash the Aston Martin and Rolls occasionally....:rolleyes:

150k baht per month at current exchange rates is approx £3125 per month (source: www.xe.com). Which is £37.5k per year, or $61k USD,

Edited by MarkyM3

150k baht per month at current exchange rates is approx £3125 per month (source: www.xe.com). Which is £37.5k per year, or $61k USD,

Well, I get £33,500 a year and get nowhere near £3,000 a month, guess that's before the taxman has had his cut though ay? :lol:

but you reckon £3,000 a month disposable income would just be 'liveable' what big ends you must have to only 'make them meet' with that! :lol:

And your Aston and Rolls can stay dirty :P:lol:

Full expat deal "local allowances" are around that figure (if schooling, R&R and insurance is excluded from the total).

That's allowances - not salary.

------

Two things many people disregard when looking for work (or simply hanging out) in Thailand are Opportunity Costs and planning for long term future needs (retirement income).

Having either a good financial plan in place (and sticking to the plan) or having a schedule for leaving Thailand to go get a financial plan in place (and sticking to the schedule) would be right up there on the list of good advice.

Too many people turn up in Thailand eager to spend what ought to be saved for taking care of them in their old age.

The carpet baggers selling QROPs schemes to allow people desperate for money to get their hands on their pension early so they can stay in Thailand feed on this - Disregarding the cold fact that if your pension fund is enough for a retirement starting at age 65 - it's unlikely to be enough for a retirement starting and 55.

Meanwhile a 45 year old guy teaching English in Thailand for beer money is saving how much to ensure he'll meet the retirement income requirements when the time comes that he needs to hang up the chalk?

Do the Math, in a place where you need to provide a statutory income for yourself and your family in order to meet the visa requirements - 150K a month is treading water....... And unless you've already got the pension funded you'd have to be saving a substantial part of this income.

Edited by GuestHouse

My advice to the OP in brief is:

Come here healthy and avoid any or excessive narcotics including alcohol and make sure you have adequate health insurance; treat the place for what it is, a sex pay- for play- paradise ,so leave your western ideas like romantic love, jealousy etc back in your home country. Have enough income to live within your means.

Rent everything.

Be nice to all but trust no one; and be happy with yourself and in your life.

Edited by Zodiac