Multiple Non Immigrant O

My wife is thai, and when I go normally I'm granted a multiple non immigrant O.

I never did, but I read somewhere that I should report to the nearest immigration office within 24 hours, is that true?

This year I would like also to apply for a thai driving license, and if I correctly understand I should get from the immigration office the proof of residence, so I guess I'd better report immediately . I don't know if in the end I will do the thai driving license , because I'm disabled and I don't know if it would be easy for me, if it were in Bangkok probably they know better, but I'm in Phuket and I'm afraid they wouldn't know exactly the procedure for a foreign disabled...

I think it's one of them laws you're supposed to do, but no one does without any probs!

My local police seem to accept a once a year registration with them.

They come to the house around the year anniversary, drink a few beers etc. and re-register me.

If I am out of the country my wife gives them the beer and they still register me. :D

This has happened for the last 3 years.

I guess I am just lucky! :D !

I did have an unscheduled visit just before the last General Election where they said they were checking on all Farangs in the Amphur..... :o

Thanks, I never did infact before, but I'm concerned this year because I want to apply for a thai driving license and if I'm not wrong, I should give "proof of residence" when applying and think this should be done at immigration.

If you are here on a multi entry O visa you exit the country every 90 days and fill out a new TM.6 each time you enter and that has your current address. If no change while you are here there is no reason for you to report anywhere. That said the landlord or hotel or owner of the place you stay should be reporting your presence. Hotels as a rule do this but most others do not.

I believe your embassy can also provide residence certification so that might be another option. But I would ask Phuket immigration what you need to do to obtain as they may be open to your wife certification of where you live and write a note on that basis.

While people might be afraid of asking at the immigration office, the own embassy is the alternative, although more expensive,

What you need is:

Present residence address certified by embassy or Immigration Bureau.

Believe all embassies know this, you tell them your address (or write down in handwriting on a form they might have), they type it out on embassy paper. Ready you are to go...

present residence address certified by embassy or Immigration bureau

certified by Immi is ok, certified by embassy is not enough - you have to get that paper translated into thai and have both certified by the ministry of foreign affairs, department of consular affairs, 123 changwattana road, Laksi, Bangkok, 10210,

tel 981-7171 :o

paper from immi is a lot cheaper and faster! :D

Got to Imm and pay the fine (around 2K even though it's gone up now really to 5K they still seem to charge the old amount) and get in the habit of registering ever 90 days.

I'm like this for 3 years KK (never reported). Why didn't they fine me?

I'll appreciate your assistance.

If you are leaving the country (on re-entry-permit) the 90-days period starts anew upon return. So if you are travelling frequently no need to report, as long as you do not stay 90 days in one stretch.

Got to Imm and pay the fine (around 2K even though it's gone up now really to 5K they still seem to charge the old amount) and get in the habit of registering ever 90 days.

I'm like this for 3 years KK (never reported). Why didn't they fine me?

I'll appreciate your assistance.

As Lopburi says I just fill in my entry card every 3 months(or at least the visa run organiser does) and present my current address to immigration. Have done this for 3 years and been to Pattaya Immigration many times. Never reported address other than entry card and never queried. Why try and fix something that's not broken? :o

No they can do you for day to day as well (although not sure if they can back date it from three years ago) although I've never heard of anyone being so charged.

And it's not 5K you'll be charged (although it kind of should be) rather you'll most likely only be charged the old rate of 2K.

No they can do you for day to day as well (although not sure if they can back date it from three years ago) although I've never heard of anyone being so charged.

And it's not 5K you'll be charged (although it kind of should be) rather you'll most likely only be charged the old rate of 2K.

Will it be 2K for 3 years or 2K * 3 Years = 6K?

Edited by machangezi

KK I think he is taking the whizzer out of you and the other genuine respondees!

No.

I'd have done the reporting if officials had told me. I knew about 90 day reporting obligation for non b holders but never heard any such thing about non o. I've been going to Immigration for three years and yet no officail ever bothered telling me.

I'll take your advice KK mate. I shall go to Immigration soon and pay the fine.

Thanks for the assistance. :o

macha

present residence address certified by embassy or Immigration bureau

certified by Immi is ok, certified by embassy is not enough - you have to get that paper translated into thai and have both certified by the ministry of foreign affairs, department of consular affairs, 123 changwattana road, Laksi, Bangkok, 10210,

tel 981-7171 :o

paper from immi is a lot cheaper and faster! :D

Chico i must disagree with you I initially obtained a 1 year driving licence with certification from Aust Embassy (not typed hand written by self -they then stamp & sign and kindly relieve you of considerable baht for the service provided)

Last month went in renewed M/C & Car licences this time issued for 5 years once again certification of residence from Aust-Embassy.

The only stipulation has been. It must be original will not accept a photo copy. Same deal for my two motor bikes and a car when transferring ownership and reregistering.

Chico i must disagree with you I initially obtained a 1 year driving licence with certification from Aust Embassy (not typed hand written by self -they then stamp & sign and kindly relieve you of considerable baht for the service provided)

Last month went in renewed M/C & Car licences this time issued for 5 years once again certification of residence from Aust-Embassy.

The only stipulation has been. It must be original  will not accept a photo copy. Same deal for my two motor bikes and a car when transferring ownership and reregistering.

Correct in my experience. Original stamped by the embassy is enough.

I tried before to use photocopy (to save my original), not accepted.

KK I think he is taking the whizzer out of you and the other genuine respondees!

No.

I'd have done the reporting if officials had told me. I knew about 90 day reporting obligation for non b holders but never heard any such thing about non o. I've been going to Immigration for three years and yet no officail ever bothered telling me.

I'll take your advice KK mate. I shall go to Immigration soon and pay the fine.

Thanks for the assistance. :D

macha

It's not a tremendeous crime although ignorance of, or not knowing, the law is no defense.

However, check your TM6 card you received 3 years ago, it clearly states under # 5: MUST NOTIFY YOUR PLACE OF RESIDENCE TO THE IMMIGRATION OFFICE IF YOU STAY LONGER THAN NINETY DAYS AND ARE REQUIRED TO DO SO EVERY NINETY DAYS.

(The new for does not show this anymore, which does NOT mean the law is changed)

Why no official told you? It's not their job, they are police and as such see their work of hunting offeders, not advising. :o

Why you never paid a fine? Extension and 90-days' reporting are two different sections. :D

Well, I think I should explain better my situation.

I don't want to stay for one year , I will stay just less than six months and stayin less than six months I don't lose my residence in Italy, so the embassy has nothing to do with it, italian embassy anyway is not too cooperative, if you are not dying or in serious troubles they don't care at all. :o besides I'm in Phuket and don't want to go to Bangkok and lose time and mood with those bureaucratic guys...

The house is my relatives wife's house, so I was wondering if they should report to immigration my stay in the house, so that when I need the proof of residence I can go to immigration without creating problem. So, now from your answers I guess they should, I'll go with them to immigration in Phuket so to avoid problems.

Edited by buasaard