Driver License Address Verification From Immigration

Dunno if you use Bangkok Immigrations out at Changwattana or not, BUT you could try to print this form; take it to your local Immigrations office and see if they’ll stamp it. I think it’s the same document in the pinned topic at the top of this sub-forum about visa info.

Before Bangkok Immigrations moved from Suan Plu to Changwattana I routinely took acquaintances there and received the residence letter for people who wanted a thai driver’s license.

They (Suan Plu) used to charge 100 baht and then would EMS you the verification form about a week later. At that time the proverbial bar was quite low and I got residence certificates for people who were 'living' at a hotel using the hotel addy. :o

I haven’t done it out at Changwattana so don’t know if they do them on the spot, still mail ‘em out or even offer the service anymore.

Even if you hafta go to your local Amphur, it’d be far cheaper than your embassy (at least if your from the US which recently raised the prices on notarized documentation :( ).

Good luck. ..

Residence Certificate.doc

This is what happens at Jomtien/Pattaya immigration when applying for a Residency certificate.

Complete a residency certificate form at the immigration office.

You will need your passport.

You will need to furnish immigration with proof of your address, like a lease agreement or a UBC, TOT, internet bill, something that proves you live at the address you want immigration to verify and enter on the residency certificate.

You will need two 6x4 photos which can be obtained in the immigration compound.

As they tend to be unpredictable in their requirements I recommend you photo-copy the following.

A signed photo-copy of the main page in your passport

A signed photo-copy of your TM card

A signed photo-copy of your last entry stamp into Thailand.

A signed photo-copy of your retirement visa.

The cost is 200 baht (always!!)

When you’re done you will be issued with a number and the residency certificate will be ready for collection the following morning.

When applying for your drivers licence make sure you use the residency certificate within 30 days of the issue date.

post-36162-053125300 1288448566_thumb.jp

The O/P is doing himself no favours by failing to say where he is.

Every city, town and village in LOS deal with issuing a residence certificate differently and he would help himself if he came back and states where he will make his application.

Edited by nam-thip

I went through this earlier this year. It was a driver's licence renewal with change of address, but you need the same address certification when you apply for a new licence.

Immigration wouldn't issue the letter, because I hadn't stayed in Thailand for more than 90 days in a row, so they didn't have a 90-day report. I wonder what happens to the address you fill in in the Arrival Card, though.

So I had to go to my embassy and pay 30 euros for an address certification.

If you need to apply for or renew both the motorcycle and car licences, it is advisable to have the embassy issue two letters (I believe they did that for the same price), but a copy certified by yourself to be true and correct should suffice if you present the original at the same time.

Note added: I am in Bangkok. No idea about provincial authorities.

Edited by tombkk

There is no need to visit the Embassy at all if one lives in Pattaya. I recently took a recent electric bill along to Immigration and collected the letter the next day. Certainly cheaper than going to the Embassy and paying a huge fee.

Application Form.

res_cert.doc

I went to the driving license office in Bangkok on the 8th oct to replace my 1 year license with a five year 1, to be told I needed a confirmation letter from my embassy re my address, I did not go to the embassy for this letter ( cost bhat 1,700.) instead I went to the new immigration office, thinking I could get a letter for this while I waited , only to find out that they have to go through a lenghty process and it takes 2/3 weeks and they then sent me the official letter through the post, which I received on Saturday 30th Oct. Tomorrow I will try and finish what I thought was an easy peasy job 3 weeks ago !

hi all,

maybe its a lame question, but im going to renew my driver licence soon

and I have a car on my name, so i have a car blue book, what also show my address, is it not enough for address certificate?

thx

Anybody know what the service, if any, available in Rayong (Map Tha Phut) immigration, and if anything, what docs might be needed?

I've got a 90 day report near the end of November, and would like to combine in one trip, if possible, with my driver's licence renewal, shift from one to five year.

I'll be arriving in Chiang Mai in February and going through the driver's license process myself. Other than the U.S. Embassy route (I've already given the U.S government way too much money over the years), what are the alternatives for getting the residency certificate in CM?

I'll be on a multi non O-A retirement visa, if that makes a difference.

Thanks

David

Edited by Genericnic

I'll be arriving in Chiang Mai in February and going through the driver's license process myself. Other than the U.S. Embassy route (I've already given the U.S government way too much money over the years), what are the alternatives for getting the residency certificate in CM?

Thanks

David

Chiang Mai Immigration. Two passport photos, some kind of proof of your address (letter from owner with his Thai ID Card) or a bill in your name ( Television, electric, etc.) and 500 baht.

Thanks

David

Chiang Mai Immigration. Two passport photos, some kind of proof of your address (letter from owner with his Thai ID Card) or a bill in your name ( Television, electric, etc.) and 500 baht.

Thanks gotlost.

One more thing off my relocation information checklist.

David

hi all,

maybe its a lame question, but im going to renew my driver licence soon

and I have a car on my name, so i have a car blue book, what also show my address, is it not enough for address certificate?

thx

I doubt the cars blue book will suffice as you may have moved house since it's issue.

Many Thai's and foreigners are running around with car and motorbike licences and documentation that doesn’t show their true addresses and that’s why we have to get our address verification document from Thai immigration.

Does anyone know what is the cost and how long does it take for a address verification at Bangkok Changwattana.

I went to change my d/l. from a 1 year to a 5 year on the 8th oct only to be told I needed address verification , so went to immigration , thinking I could get it on the same day , , no chance ! , they posted it to me and it took a full three weeks , the letter arrived on Saturday , and today I completed the transaction , I now have a 5 year license which expires on 18/02/ 2016

Thanks

David

Thanks gotlost.

One more thing off my relocation information checklist.

David

David

can't help you with verification form, as I used my house book when I got my license so no form required. But what will make the whole process a lot easier is if you bring an international license with you when you move here. You can get them at AAA in the states for about $15 US With that you are good to drive here for 1 year but when you go to apply for a Thai license show the current international license, fill out a couple of forms and you are good to go. It took me 15min to get mine done. Just make sure you have copies of everything.

Cheers

can't help you with verification form, as I used my house book when I got my license so no form required. But what will make the whole process a lot easier is if you bring an international license with you when you move here. You can get them at AAA in the states for about $15 US With that you are good to drive here for 1 year but when you go to apply for a Thai license show the current international license, fill out a couple of forms and you are good to go. It took me 15min to get mine done. Just make sure you have copies of everything.

Cheers

Last I knew, the International Driver's Permit (not licence) is valid for a maximum of three months in any one country. After that, a local licence is required.

Getting the local licence often depends on just which provincial Land Transportation Office you go to. Sometimes it's as easy as Dinger indicated, other times it includes written and driving tests. Where you go for the licence is significant.

Mine for a motorbike licence, was very easy. Showed a Canadian car licence (the local office either didn't notice or didn't care about the difference between motorbike and car licences), had the format medical papers, copies of passport and visas, embassy letter for residence, took a visual and reflex test, and they did the rest in the office. Plus, of course, appropriate fees.

But it all varies depending on which provincial office you go to. Maybe some would accept an IDP alone, others might want your foreign licence. And if it's not in English, they could ask for a translation of it.