Thailand Arrests 61 Sri Lankan Tamil Migrants

webfact

Thailand arrests 61 Sri Lankan Tamil migrants

BANGKOK, October 30, 2010 (AFP) - Thai authorities have arrested 61 Tamil migrants from Sri Lanka, police said Saturday, in the second such crackdown in recent weeks.

After a tip-off, 114 people were rounded up in the southern province of Songkhla on Thursday, but some were freed because they were able to present valid travel documents.

"The 61 were arrested and charged for overstaying their visas, illegal entry or not going through proper channels," said Colonel Phutthipong Musikkul, commander of Songkhla immigration police.

"It's likely that these people wanted to go to a third country," Phutthipong said, without elaborating.

Earlier this month Thai authorities said they were holding for possible deportation 128 Tamil migrants arrested in Bangkok, including some who had registered with the United Nations as asylum seekers.

Some reports suggested they hoped to travel to Canada, whose government welcomed news of their arrest.

Almost 500 Tamil refugees arrived in Canada in August aboard a cargo ship which reportedly spent 90 days traveling from Thailand before police boarded it in Canadian waters and piloted it ashore in western Canada.

Sri Lanka's crackdown on the Tamil Tigers, which ended a lengthy civil war last year, has resulted in a flood of people seeking asylum in other countries.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-10-30

Great work that is 61 less that would have made it to Australia

Human rights is one thing. Making bombs and killing innocent people is something what Tamil Tigers did for such a long time.

People who were not involved in killings don't have problems to stay in Sri Lanka.

Wasn't too long ago, when Cuba got rid of their most dangerous criminals. :jap:

if they'd of listened to the human rights NGO bragade the conflict and terrorism would have gone on for another 30 years. Some times millitary solution is the best course of action for long term peace and security.

Thailand arrests 61 Sri Lankan Tamil migrants

BANGKOK, October 30, 2010 (AFP) - Thai authorities have arrested 61 Tamil migrants from Sri Lanka, police said Saturday, in the second such crackdown in recent weeks.

After a tip-off, 114 people were rounded up in the southern province of Songkhla on Thursday, but some were freed because they were able to present valid travel documents.

"The 61 were arrested and charged for overstaying their visas, illegal entry or not going through proper channels," said Colonel Phutthipong Musikkul, commander of Songkhla immigration police.

"It's likely that these people wanted to go to a third country," Phutthipong said, without elaborating.

Earlier this month Thai authorities said they were holding for possible deportation 128 Tamil migrants arrested in Bangkok, including some who had registered with the United Nations as asylum seekers.

Some reports suggested they hoped to travel to Canada, whose government welcomed news of their arrest.

Almost 500 Tamil refugees arrived in Canada in August aboard a cargo ship which reportedly spent 90 days traveling from Thailand before police boarded it in Canadian waters and piloted it ashore in western Canada.

Sri Lanka's crackdown on the Tamil Tigers, which ended a lengthy civil war last year, has resulted in a flood of people seeking asylum in other countries.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-10-30

Actually, they were most likely heading to Canada. However, Australia has been assisting the Canadian government by providing intelligence and local bodies to track these bogus refugees as both Australia and Canada are suffering from the inflow of bogus refugees. In case anyone feels sorry for these lying fake refugees;

Refugees go home for holidays By Brian Lilley Parliamentary Bureau

OTTAWA - A government survey reveals the majority of successful Tamil refugees travel back to Sri Lanka, raising questions about the legitimacy of their refugee status. To become a refugee, a claimant must prove they are in danger of torture, there is a risk to their life or meet other criteria showing they will face persecution in their home country. Yet this did not stop over 70% of successful Tamil refugee claimants surveyed from returning to Sri Lanka for vacations, business or to sponsor family members. "I think it's been fairly common knowledge, that after asylum seekers get status they go back," said James Bissett a former head of Immigration Canada. "Certainly after they get landed immigrant status they go back."Bissett said such abuse should not happen but is all too common in a system he says is known to be generous, open and easy to play. "The name of the game is to get into Canada," said Bissett. "It's Hotel California, everyone checks in but they never leave."

And this

Martin Collacott, a former Canadian High Commissioner to Sri Lanka, understands the Tamil illegal refugee scam. He wrote, “There are good reasons to believe that many Tamil migrants are taking advantage of Canada’s flawed refugee process.”It is easy to figure out why the Tamils bypass Tamil Nadu in India, their motherland, where 61 million Tamils live and many other countries in between Sri Lanka and Canada and land on our shores. It is our lucrative welfare system.They know that Canada is the goose that keeps laying golden eggs — a country that pays welfare cheques starting at $585 a month — when converted to Sri Lankan rupees is 58,000, which is a fortune in Sri Lankan terms. To sweeten their attraction to Canada, they are offered welfare housing, medical services, and a free legal aid system to fight their cases in court, and their children will receive free post-secondary school education.They are smart to know that couples with children under six years of age could also apply for the universal child care benefit each month for each child. They are also eligible for a federal child tax benefit and the national child benefit supplement, which they could not get in Sri Lanka.So who wouldn’t want to come to Canada and be with Canada’s nice people?They know that a couple with one child can get $327.66 per month as child care benefits on top of $1,058 under the Ontario welfare system and that Scarborough and Markham, where they will eventually will end up, are indeed cities in Ontario.These Tamils also know that, once they receive their Canadian passport, they can get on the first flight out of Canada with no questions asked by the Canadian authorities to return to Sri Lanka for holidays and visit relatives, the country that they ran away from, saying that they were persecuted.With peace in Sri Lanka, there is no need for these Tamils to say that they are being persecuted as thousands of refugees from the camps in India are returning home, according to the reports by the UNHRC.

These Tamils are lying immigration queue jumpers that ripoff people and that are no better than the typical tout found in Thailand. Because of their dishonest practicves, legitimate refugee seekers are denied refugee status beause the Tamils steal limited public resources and gum up the processing system.

<deleted>'em.

Human rights is one thing. Making bombs and killing innocent people is something what Tamil Tigers did for such a long time.

People who were not involved in killings don't have problems to stay in Sri Lanka.

Wasn't too long ago, when Cuba got rid of their most dangerous criminals. :jap:

my name is Tony Monatana i ain't come off no banana boat. no u have the wrong person. I AM A POLITICAL REFUGEE !!!

what is "Say hello to my little friend." in Srilankan >>>>>................

have to be carfull with refugees they want the world and everything in it.

Edited by BigC

Political refugees, or those that are allegedly fleeing persecution in their own countries should want to be accommodated in the first or nearest country of safety that they can get to, so why does a Tamil need to go all the way to Canada or Australia to find safety? and we all know what an unsafe country France is and that's why all these poor persecuted beings want to get over to soft touch Britain

Nothing to do with generous welfare payments etc

With a weak as p1ss Australian government Australia is seen by those bogus refugees as a soft touch. If I was in charge they would be sent back to their country of origin within 24 hours....never to be allowed into Australia ever! The bleeding hearts say my way is tough, we should respect there human rights..... Sure it's tough, but my first choice was to put a bullet in the base of their skull and toss em overboard!

See, I am getting soft in my old age! :D

About a billion people could be a ligit refugee. I don't see why any one should b able to claim asylum. Took people dealing with shit in Europe for 100s of years to fight for progress in their own countries; that's what these people need to do in theirs; by taking them in is only perpetuating the problem and burdening ourselves,; those with qualifications and something to add b more than welcome by me but Nuff of these ........,

Ohh, foreigners bashing immigrants. pathetic little ...

You forgot the illegal immigrant part... Where are you from? Maybe they can come and stay with you...

And what makes this people 'illegal'? It is just not having the 'right' passport. Otherwise they are the same as you and me - except in our home country we are foreigners and migrants allover the world.

Ohh, foreigners bashing immigrants. pathetic little ...

You forgot the illegal immigrant part... Where are you from? Maybe they can come and stay with you...

And what makes this people 'illegal'? It is just not having the 'right' passport. Otherwise they are the same as you and me - except in our home country we are foreigners and migrants allover the world.

If you actually read the article, it says:

And my visa here is a non-immigrant visa.I am here legally...