Pattaya'S Halloween "Parade" This Evening At 7 Pm

Jingthing

When I heard tell of the Halloween parade that occurred tonight on Pattaya Beach Road, I optimistically imagined it would be a fun event, and that there would be a lot of people in many diverse costumes, as is the modern custom. I realize Halloween isn't a traditional Thai holiday, but we all know that Thais like to celebrate EVERYTHING, if for no other reason than the ever important CA-CHING factor.

Well, I was wrong.

What this so called parade (it lasted about an excruciating TEN minutes. about the same amount of time as an uninspired sex act) actually consisted of was a few really big platform TRUCKS which were adverts for Ripley's believe it or not (if you've been to Royal Garden, you've already seen that stuff). Then there were a bunch of clearly organized Thai people in almost identical conformist costumes that were ALL straight out of a grade C Thai GHOST MOVIE.

Thais clearly don't get what modern Halloween is all about. Not that they should, but they don't.

This display was creepy. It was not fun at all. It was actually a bit scary but in depressing way. What was depressing was how conformist and NON CREATIVE Thais can often be.

Tonight's dreary "parade" was sadly, a prime example.

If the tourism promoters actually want to have a fun Halloween event in future years, sorry, they are going to need to pay some money to some FOREIGNERS who actually understand the concept.

What they did tonight, really NOTHING would have been better.

BTW --

BOOO!!!!

Next ...

Edited by Jingthing

Sorry to here that.

The Halloween Party at Horseshoe Point tonight was fantastic, about 1,000 farang and mixed families, heaps of things to do, fire shows, scary adventure tours and more, a real family event.

The event was organized and run by Pattaya Players and I think most of the activities were organized by The Party Shop, they were still trying to get people to go home well after official closing time.

On Friday night we also took the family out to Phoneix Golf Course, we go every year, some of the expats that live out there organize their houses to be dressed up and kids go knocking trick or treat, must have been around 200 kids this year, all dressed up, prizes for best dressed, food and more. As I mentioned, it's not organized by the golf club, it is organized by some of the residents that live at the course.

Edited by seadoo

Hey Jingthing.

Bring on the Glitterman eh?

Far more original and entertaining, you know that you love him. B)

GM for mayor!!!! Or entertainment planning for the city ,by the sound of the parade he would certainly be able to make it better.

Sorry to here that.

The Halloween Party at Horseshoe Point tonight was fantastic, about 1,000 farang and mixed families, heaps of things to do, fire shows, scary adventure tours and more, a real family event.

The event was organized and run by Pattaya Players and I think most of the activities were organized by The Party Shop, they were still trying to get people to go home well after official closing time.

On Friday night we also took the family out to Phoneix Golf Course, we go every year, some of the expats that live out there organize their houses to be dressed up and kids go knocking trick or treat, must have been around 200 kids this year, all dressed up, prizes for best dressed, food and more. As I mentioned, it's not organized by the golf club, it is organized by some of the residents that live at the course.

Great post ,positive posts like yours are few and far between on the Forum.

Wish we had been there!

I would stay away because of the traffic problems alone...it's been horrific since Friday. Don't know how much to attribute to the weekenders from Bangkok or the new traffic lights. In any case, on these holiday weekends, I usually stay at home on the Farside.

FYI, there is also a Halloween carnival thingy going on on Beach Road (near the Hard Rock) for anyone interested.

MMMmmm Jing thing is right.....some things in life do not travel. Halloween being one of them.

There are two Halloweens in my mind. The American version with something called trick or treat ??? And the U.K. version "Penny for the guy"

The modern all pervasive American version (Like Big Macs / KFC etc ) backed up by "Hollywood" hype is as Jing pointed out actually a bit creepy and not in the ooooh very scary outfit way....more like just bloody Embarassing ???

What ever happened to the Pattaya Mardi Gras ??? Did it become an annual event ??? I am sure it was a one off...I could be wrong..

Or did it just die a death because all the women/boys who work in the bars realise that marching up beach road behind a big sign saying what bar they worked in, then appear on Thai National T.V. and international T.V. channels just said one thing....."Look at me I work in a bar in Pattaya" oooooppss and Mama and Papa back in Nackon Nowhere thought I worked in Tesco Lotus.....

There are two Halloweens in my mind. The American version with something called trick or treat ??? And the U.K. version "Penny for the guy"

"Penny for the guy' is not Halloween, it's bonfire night, celebrated on 5th November, "commemorating" the failure of an early fundamentalist religious act of terrorism, which was a plot to blow up the British House of Commons in 1604.

In some parts of the UK it is still tainted with sectarianism, especially in the Northern Ireland, but it is most definitely not Halloween.

I would stay away because of the traffic problems alone...it's been horrific since Friday. Don't know how much to attribute to the weekenders from Bangkok or the new traffic lights. In any case, on these holiday weekends, I usually stay at home on the Farside.

FYI, there is also a Halloween carnival thingy going on on Beach Road (near the Hard Rock) for anyone interested.

why is this a holiday weekend?

It isn't a "holiday" weekend - I am assuming FarangBuddha just means "party" weekend.

BTW the best Halloween I have ever had was in Ireland! They really do celebrate it well.

Australia doesn't do Halloween and I really can't say I ever felt like I missed out on something.

It isn't a "holiday" weekend - I am assuming FarangBuddha just means "party" weekend.

BTW the best Halloween I have ever had was in Ireland! They really do celebrate it well.

Australia doesn't do Halloween and I really can't say I ever felt like I missed out on something.

i don't think tourists are flocking into Pattaya this weekend for Halloween, do you??

"Penny for the guy' is not Halloween, it's bonfire night, celebrated on 5th November, "commemorating" the failure of an early fundamentalist religious act of terrorism, which was a plot to blow up the British House of Commons in 1604.

In some parts of the UK it is still tainted with sectarianism, especially in the Northern Ireland, but it is most definitely not Halloween.

Absolutely correct sharecropper. The leader of the "gunpowder plot" which was an attempt to blow up the British house of commons was a gentleman named Guy Fawkes. Some of us are of the opinion that he was probably the only person ever to enter parliament with honest intentions.

I think another poster totally misunderstood what I mean by modern American Halloween culture.

This video of a 2009 New York City parade should clear that up. The ghosts and ghouls and pumpkins are only a small part of the current adult Halloween scene. Creativity and big fun are paramount. Pretty much the opposite of what I witnessed at the Pattaya parade.

Edited by Jingthing

Happy to hear that it was a wash. Halloween, and particularly the overblown Americanised version of it doesn't fit with Thai culture. I am not bashing how the "Hallmark" mentality has turned this (like every other semi-notable calendar date) into an excuse for adults to act the goat and spend money. When I was a kid, Hallowe'en was for the kids.

But ghosts and spirits are regarded in Thailand in a totally different way than the cultures that brought you 'Casper - the friendly ghost' and the bogey-man. So the locals grabbed the concept and ran with it as they thought foreigners see it. Fail! Does any other country turn it into a carnival for adults to the same degree as in the US where anything remotely marketable suddenly gets orange and black labeling and a free vampire bat?

Maybe someone in the local chapter of the hoteliers association or TAT were testing the water for turning another totally non- Thai celebration into a Pattaya low-season wallet emptying effort. Fail!

Mardi Gras? In Thailand? Fail! Oktoberfest? Fail!

Stick with Songkran and Loy Kratong and keep Thailand uniquely Thai. The last thing they need to do is import piss-poor versions of other countries celebrations just to keep the money coming in.

Stick with Songkran and Loy Kratong and keep Thailand uniquely Thai.

Let's not. I'll take any version of Halloween over Songkran.

Beats Loy Kratong, too. Less noisy; nobody throws fireworks at the stupid farangs.

Personally, I am totally OK with Thais not adopting the western holiday of Halloween. However, they are doing exactly that. So if Pattaya tourism officials want to keep doing annual Halloween parades, someone should really tell them the concept isn't like an extras tryout for a Thai ghost movie. We know most Thais believe in ghosts and how popular crappy Thai ghost movies are here, so actually, it is kind of amusing that Halloween was interpreted that way here. Funny, but not entertaining or fun, and hardly a tourist attraction.

Face facts: Thai's are not known for their creativity, in fact, completely opposite, they copy stuff, that's what they do.

Yes, I am well aware of Thai talent in the copying field. In this case, I am merely saying if they want to create a compelling tourist event, don't copy Thai ghost movies, copy what actually happens at big Halloween parades/parties in the west. As I said in the OP, to do that, they will need to recruit some foreigners and/or Thais who have had direct experience with that in the west.

Halloween actually started in Roman Times with "Parentelia" parade of the Dead. Then the Celtics Ireland & England also had Samhein "All Hallows Eve" Change of Season or Life to Death.

I wasn't around then but it is the accepted historical basis.

What the heck , it's a fun time & so what if Thais copy , if we hadn't copied the Chinese , would we have Spaghetti or Gunpowder.????

In Australia the advent of the movie bought it into the Aussie Culture as well. But then Aussies don't need much of an excuse to have FUN

It's all supposed to be fun time so enjoy.

Edited by Ohio