Sick Of Tough 'Beef'

lingnoi1977

• 4 weeks later...

Amazing what you can do with a crock pot with the toughest piece of meat.:whistling:

Especially with some potatoes, onions, garlic and yellow, Panang or Masaman curry paste.

.... and a couple of bottles of red wine.

• 5 weeks later...

A few simple tricks to make Thai beef from Big C tender.

There is many things you can add and marinate it with, but I think it loses its taste (whats left with it) in a Thai beef steak.

I usually buy myself a slice of Aussie steak, but occasionally like a challenge and will by Thai beef which used to have bad results, I have have made some improvements though.

- Take the stake out of the freezer/fridge and make sure its room temperate before you cook it, this is very important.

- Get a fork and stab it right through, like 50 times.

- Get a rolling pin or a hammer and flatten it out to about 1 cm. season both sides with salt, pepper and Thyme. slab it into the meat with your hands.

- Put heat on medium high and put the meat in on one side for 2-3 minutes then change sides only once. let it

Best results is medium rare to medium otherwise its hard as a rock.

at the various wet markets here in Chiang Mai there are a lot of collagen tough beef cuts but I can seem to always find beef tenderloins and filets. Not expensive either.

Just have a sharp eye for beef cuts and maybe time of day makes a difference. I suppose you talk to the vendor and reserve the good stuff.

It seems to cost about 140 to 160 baht per kilo.

No need to tenderize or marinate them and I have found them to be on par with a good pork tenderloin for softness. Good eats!!!

I have been buying from ponyangkham-chiangmai.com next to the canal, but it's an expensive habit @ 789 / kilo of Rib Eye, supposedly hormone free not sure if it's grass fed. I've been to muang mai market and got beef at 160 baht/kg but comes out like rubber after I cook it. Moo Sap at 65 baht / kilo comes out fine but full of hormone according to what I've heard (or 120 baht for a small bag of cleaner version at Baan Suan Pak) My spoken thai is quite good but I dont know the terminology for the cuts in thai, nor can I recognize them by sight as I am fairly new to cooking. Can you be a little more specific on where and how to buy a good cut at a local market? Anyway to know if it's grass fed?

I'm also looking for pasture raised eggs or similar egg that has a 1 to 1 balance in omega 3 to 6 ratio. http://www.christophereggs.com/ use to supply to Tesco and Tops but no longer as of this month, I called the distribution in Bangkok and they are working into getting them to Rimping, or I can order 20 cartons (6 eggs / carton) directly from them. Need about 30 eggs/ week would love to find a local source.

Edited by llp

at the various wet markets here in Chiang Mai there are a lot of collagen tough beef cuts but I can seem to always find beef tenderloins and filets. Not expensive either.

Just have a sharp eye for beef cuts and maybe time of day makes a difference. I suppose you talk to the vendor and reserve the good stuff.

It seems to cost about 140 to 160 baht per kilo.

No need to tenderize or marinate them and I have found them to be on par with a good pork tenderloin for softness. Good eats!!!

I have been buying from ponyangkham-chiangmai.com next to the canal, but it's an expensive habit @ 789 / kilo of Rib Eye, supposedly hormone free not sure if it's grass fed. I've been to muang mai market and got beef at 160 baht/kg but comes out like rubber after I cook it. Moo Sap at 65 baht / kilo comes out fine but full of hormone according to what I've heard (or 120 baht for a small bag of cleaner version at Baan Suan Pak) My spoken thai is quite good but I dont know the terminology for the cuts in thai, nor can I recognize them by sight as I am fairly new to cooking. Can you be a little more specific on where and how to buy a good cut at a local market? Anyway to know if it's grass fed?

I'm also looking for pasture raised eggs or similar egg that has a 1 to 1 balance in omega 3 to 6 ratio. http://www.christophereggs.com/ use to supply to Tesco and Tops but no longer as of this month, I called the distribution in Bangkok and they are working into getting them to Rimping, or I can order 20 cartons (6 eggs / carton) directly from them. Need about 30 eggs/ week would love to find a local source.

all the major stores (rimping, tops) and sell omega 3 eggs. They just feed the chickens flax seeds and the bird converts the EPA to DHA for you.

Grain fed animals and fish will have higher levels of Omega 6's in their fats.. So if eating conventionally grown products it's best to eat leaner cuts. If you can find imported grass fed beef etc or wild caught fish then higher fat is desirable to get better 3/6 ratios.

All cattle need some grain or forage so it's a bit of a myth about animals being all grass fed. It's just about the ratios of feed and if the grain ratio is low then the fat profiles are much less inflammatory.

Cattlefeed wiki

Some people just try to load up on Omega 3's with fish oil capsules and salmon etc but I think it makes a lot of sense to really try to lower Omega 6's by reducing nuts, seeds and their oils.

Saturated fats like coconut oil can be substituted are far more stable than Omega 3's.

Olive oil if not heated does jack up inflammation levels and has low Omega 6 levels also. Macadamia and coconut oil are good choices because they are very heat stable and low in Omega 6.

Edited by CobraSnakeNecktie