New Apple Tv

negreanu

Has anyone bought one of the Apple TV's from the guy in the classified section?

Cant find any anywhere in Bangkok. Apple stores keep telling me maybe next month and cannot order on the website apple.

Seems not a bad deal cheaper than importing with tax and delivery etc.?

Slightly off topic but I have never understood the point of an Apple TV. I like Apple products - I have both the Ipad and the Iphone, I just dont get the Apple TV.

I understand that you might wish to download films or series from Itunes (expensive but hassle free) I guess you could use it to record programs. But there are so many better specced products. I have 13 Terabytes of high definition films, concerts, documentaries etc (all pre-loaded in Thailand). I can download and play what I like.

I just dont get what it does that is special. For instance I would understand the point if it gave me an extra 30 channels of TV through NetFlix (or something like that) but from what I hear it doesnt (anyway in Thailand).

I have WDTV an apple tv. I use apple tv to stream all my content that I download to bedroom and lounge tv.

And when I want to watch a movie I can rent or buy it direct from the sofa and it's ready to watch in 30seconds after I select the one I want it's just brilliant.

Tv rentals for 30 thb and any movies about 90thb and hd with 5.1 surround sound.

Until you are chilling out on te sofa and actually used it people just don't realise how good it is.

You can also use airplay from iPhone or iPad with the new one which is gonna be the future

And of course now we have netflix built right into the apple tv! (VPN required in Thailand) and YouTube podcasts and your music music video collection all on your big screen with no hassle. In a device about the size of 2 packs of cards!

Edited by negreanu

Because it's not available in thailand from the apple store. :)

Or indeed any of the Apple Asian stores online or reseller.

Even tried shanghai and Tokyo official apple stores this week. Seems they have not released the 2010 apple tv in asia.

Edited by negreanu

Got one from the seller in the classifieds section last night. No hassle perfect sealed unit and works great. honest seller.

He has a few left was tempted to buy 2 but willpower thank god.

really recommend the New Apple TV. 99c TV rentals and streaming from ipad/iphone.

Edited by negreanu

Thats the problem no one has them in Thailand :( They are around 3500THB in US but shipping import duty (And apple wont ship outside usa) makes it a hassle better just to get one from the guy selling them in classified section. Thats where i got mine gonna get another from him for the bedroom.

• 3 weeks later...

I have WDTV an apple tv. I use apple tv to stream all my content that I download to bedroom and lounge tv.

And when I want to watch a movie I can rent or buy it direct from the sofa and it's ready to watch in 30seconds after I select the one I want it's just brilliant.

Tv rentals for 30 thb and any movies about 90thb and hd with 5.1 surround sound.

Until you are chilling out on te sofa and actually used it people just don't realise how good it is.

You can also use airplay from iPhone or iPad with the new one which is gonna be the future

And of course now we have netflix built right into the apple tv! (VPN required in Thailand) and YouTube podcasts and your music music video collection all on your big screen with no hassle. In a device about the size of 2 packs of cards!

I'm really thinking about getting an apple tv. I have VPN setup and can watch netflix on my other devices fine.

Does apple tv have VPN built in, or are you watching netflix being streamed from another device? If so, how's the quality?

VPN netflix on my iPad is good enough, but it'd be poor quality on a 32" tv.

Thanks!

One issue with the AppleTV used to be that it only played whatever QuickTime plays, which means not what you download from the internet.

I imagine that's still the case?! Do you have a way to automate handbrake to convert movies? I find handbrake very cumbersome to use. Example if I have a series with 100 episodes I am not going to add each one manually to the queue. Already having this issue as I want to convert stuff to iPad format...

• 1 month later...

Apple TV dont support 1080p. Only 720p which is not Full HD.

You better be off if you buy an Western Digital Product.

Now after LED 3D HDTV a new era will begin. "Smart TV"

TVs with Broadbang connection both Lan and Wifi.

The first ones already released from Samsung, LG and Sony.

Very nice. :)

Not if you are iTunes store user or indeed have a iPad or iPhone. Airplay to apple tv. Instant rentals of movies and tv shows

Apple tv is the best choice

Not if you are iTunes store user or indeed have a iPad or iPhone. Airplay to apple tv. Instant rentals of movies and tv shows

Apple tv is the best choice

I second that the new Apple Tv is great especially with the Airplay and being able to paly music or video or photo shows from iphone to tv.

Just got around to hooking up the Apple TV I brought back from Canada. It does everything the other posters are saying, but be aware that if your Apple account is not a USA account your rental choices are limited. For example with my Canadian account it appears TV shows are not available.

• 4 weeks later...
Interestingly, I noticed that the Apple Store Thailand now has information regarding AppleCare for Apple TV, including a price in baht, but I can't see where they are actually selling Apple TV anywhere in the store. Might this mean that Apple TV will soon be sold by Apple in Thailand?

Very much doubt it as no Video/TV Show content is available on the Thai itunes store. Until that happens Apple TV is useless for the average consumer here. (Excluding those with itunes UK / US accounts).

Only other place the the ATV2 is available in asia is Japan. Not even Singapore or HK.

Edited by negreanu

• 1 month later...

Jesus u could ship it DHL to thailand and pay the vat for around 4900THB all in.

MacConnection.com or amazon to shipito.com: $105.00

Shipito charge: $8.50

Priority 3 day shipping: $30.00

Vat and import: $20.00 (Depends on your declared value)

Total: US$163.50

= 4900THB

Edited by negreanu

• 1 month later...

Just got my Apple TV set up, and wow, it's sweet. Picked it up for 3k thb on Amazon.com. (someone brought it over.) No issues with power supply or with pal ntsc. Stand alone, it's not doing a whole lot (youtube, itunes, flickr and inet music). But here's how to make it the killer device:

You need an iPad, iPod, or iPhone with Airplay and the Air Video app (not free) and the Air Play server. This of course means you need to have a media PC / Mac already.

Currently you need to get the beta version of the server. Set it up to check the folder where you download your .avi torrents. Next go to your idevice and run the Air Video app. You'll now get the little Air Play icon which allows you to choose where you want to display that video. Choose your Apple TV and after a brief load time.. bingo - you're playing your .avi's on your Apple TV. Mint.

• 1 year later...

I got an Apple TV (3rd gen) black color at 4th floor (tech section) MBK shopping center (a number of small counter shops have them displayed)..

bought it for Baht 3800

works fine...connects to my wifi network, works with my iTunes account, Youtube etc.....BUT not connecting to Netflix....I have Netflix (connected through a VPN tunnel) and it works over my wifi network with my iPad and iPhone...but my Apple TV doesnt connect to it (saying it is not supported in my location)...

is it mandatory for me to do the Airplay/Air Video route? or can the Apple TV use the same VPN tunnel in my wifi network?

thanks!!

Im using the same VPN as my wifi to connect to Netflix on my iPad and iPhone...it works fine

I also connect my Apple TV to the same wifi (with VPN)..and it works fine to connect to iTunes and Youtube....BUT its says Neflix will not work "in my location"

do I need to manually add the US DNS address in network settings in my Apple TV?

(also to play Netflix movies just on my laptop (using Google Chrome browser) so I need to install Silverlight?)

Edited by trajan

There is no vpn option on a apple TV.

The only solution would connect to a VPN on your PC - share that connection as wifi then connect the apple tv to that wifi.

or

Buy a router that supports VPN such as from sabai technology

or

Use UnblockUS on your current router (Caution this does not work consistently on True internet due their invisible caching proxy)