Thieving, Drugged Up Baht Bus Nutters

PattayaOneTeam

Above Bawd……

Thieving, Drugged-Up Baht Bus Nutters

As we head towards high season, I thought a trawl of topics dealing with the traditional hot chestnut of thieving, drugged up, abusive, pugilistic, dangerously-driving baht bus nutters would be instructive. And so it was. If you never want to board one again.

These topics usually descend into a flaming, name-calling morass, with posters arguing about the outrageousness of being double-charged compared to Thais, and whether it is a matter of principle or cheapness to object.

Another issue is what to do when confronted by a baht bus driver screaming at you in the street or otherwise threatening to kick the crap out of you for a variety of reasons.

One post stood out on Thai Visa by Aussiechick who, a few years ago, was riding up front, with a clearly drunk baht bus driver. She asked him to stop at the Tourist Police headquarters, and asked him to wait while she went to ask the police to nick him, which they did, letting him sleep it off in their car park.

Waatwang had an unpleasant experience, which serves as a timely reminder of the dangers of riding shotgun: “The one that stopped was full, but the driver said I could sit inside the cab. I speak passable Thai and we started chatting. Everything was ok until he started making advances and offered me B2,000 to go to a hotel with him!”

They must earn more than we think, or he really fancied her.

Sometimes I think posters bring ill-luck crashing down on their own heads, as they encounter more trouble in a week on baht buses than most of us do in a lifetime, collectively. One poster, Ulysses G, admirably exemplifies the other extreme and confessed:

“I was always skeptical about Pattaya baht bus drivers being crazy until I discreetly flipped one the bird and he chased me for about 3 blocks the wrong way on Beach road in his truck…”!

One poster, Jingthing, had problems with the baht bus operators and loaders on Pattaya Second Road: “The loading man went totally postal on me….his alcoholism disease ravaged brain decided if I wasn't getting on the bus he ordered me to board, I wasn't going to be allowed on ANY bus. He started yelling at me, clearly ordering me to leave the scene of his sordid transport empire. “

I felt pity for Smellyfarang who experienced a trip on a busy afternoon, driving through heavy traffic: “I happen to glance down through the back window and notice the driver is not only “steering” with his knees, he has his head down and is intently concentrating on some mesmerizing task that requires not only both hands, but apparently his full, undivided attention so much that he couldn’t be bothered with such distractions as actually looking out the windshield. Apparently he decided that driving through heavy traffic was the ideal time to roll a cigarette.”

SirPaul attracted a lot of flak for his argument that baht bus drivers should be tipped 10 baht for every journey. Then he revealed he was a London taxi driver, at which point his argument, that you should tip anything that moved, weakened somewhat under the weight of self-interest.

Loong objected: “300 passengers a shift. If all tipped him for doing nothing extraordinary that would be 3,000 Baht every day, maybe 90,000 Baht per month. A good income for somebody whose only qualification is being able to drive.”

Sure, but they could afford to splash out for more 2,000 baht short times with their sexy passengers at that rate.

Barry M was “amazed that westerners who would demand prison sentences for parents who fail to properly secure their children in cars at home jump, grinning like Cheshire cats, with their kids into the back of these farm trucks often driven by half drunk muppets with no concept of safety”.

And finally, Pistolbelt confessed to “giving change in 1 baht coins. I always save them in my back pocket for those bastards and sometimes only give them nine.

I'm real nasty see.”

All comments or Web Board tipoffs gratefully received at [email protected]

Enjoyed this article? Why not go to our poll and vote for it at:

FREE DOWNLOAD HERE

Download the full #3 issue in PDF format here:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/files/download/659-pattaya-one-issue-3/

gallery_327_1086_2603.gif

-- Pattaya One 2011-11-01

Is there not a legal issue in taking forum members legally copyrighted posts, and reproducing them in this rag ?? Treating form posts as a mine for 'quoteable' news media isnt good form.

I know there was some long threads on legal copyright and remember it was established that no matter the TV boiler plate the poster retains copyright and while TV can use that quote, on TV it was not legal for further dissemination to other sites.

I know I for one dont want my posts edited, trimmed, quoted in this rag and then attributed to me.

I think that this is terrible news for TV members.

I for one will be posting very very carefully from now on, If at all.

And I will certainly refrain from reccomending TV to my friends ans aquaintances.

Bad form Thai visa admin !!!! For allowing it.

Bad form Pattayaone for using the material.

Thats one customer lost.

Edited by Monkeypants

Kudos to Pattaya One.... I like taking quotes from members and publishing it. Shows accountability... maybe some posters might think twice about what they post if they know it might make Pattaya one. Good job - George for allowing this, just shows creative/innovative partnership at work.

Pattaya one... didnt realize that going back with very old threads. Definitely some gem topics out there if you search long enough.

...can I change my username to something really offensive, might help ward off any illusions of grandeur by that rag in publishing anything I might write.

I doubt it would help. For example, the name Smellyfarang did not stop Pattaya one from quoting him.

I felt pity for Smellyfarang who experienced a trip on a busy afternoon, driving through heavy traffic: “I happen to glance down through the back window and notice the driver is not only “steering” with his knees, he has his head down and is intently concentrating on some mesmerizing task that requires not only both hands, but apparently his full, undivided attention so much that he couldn’t be bothered with such distractions as actually looking out the windshield. Apparently he decided that driving through heavy traffic was the ideal time to roll a cigarette.”

Beautiful prose by Smellyfarang, isn't it? Wouldn't surprise me if he were writing a novel.

A bit of Reverse Censorship is req`d if you ask me..

At least members should be contacted first by admin, and only if they agree, then their post can be used...

God forbid if we decided to quote thai visa out there.....tut tut your banned, might be the case...

I was quoted in that article. I don't mind being quoted but my quote was taken completely out of context of the incident I had reported on. In the article, it makes no sense why I refused to board the baht bus. The story makes no sense if you don't have that background. In that case, it would have taken a lot of space to explain that properly, so I think it shouldn't have been used at all if you weren't willing to use the space. If this kind of bad editing continues, I'm afraid I am may join the ranks of people who don't appreciate being quoted in the press this way.

Edited by Jingthing

...God forbid if we decided to quote thai visa out there.....tut tut your banned, might be the case...

I have quoted ThaiVisa a lot, always giving a link to the source, as one should when quoting, and haven't got into trouble because of it. I believe it is to the advantage of any website owner when his site gets linked to on other sites.

...If this kind of bad editing continues...

I think you should consider becoming a freelance columnist yourself and get yourself published in Pattaya One. Get there first before Glitterman does :D

I have it on good authority that the Glitterman has been invited to write for a Pattaya rag (not this one).

If that happens, it will be more a case of "hold the plane" than "hold the front page", as Pattayans rush for the exits!