Bangkok At Night Turns Violent Inferno Now

dannishgung

I live in a tourist area and witness some real lowlife Farangs walking around, a small percentage seem to be looking for trouble.

I even saw a guy at Suan Plu Immigration one day, without a shirt! ######, I felt like beating the crap of of this guy.

well now there's the attitude skipper, did you go and let him know what he was doing was not polite in Thai society? By your post kicking the shit out of someone who may just be ignorant, is far more acceptable than not wearing a shirt? :o Sorry but you are calling him a lowlife then claiming yourself better by offering violence as the option to education...?

He looked French , so I assumed there would be a language barrier :D

A good slap upside the head CAN be educational.

What if he turns out not to be French, but American -- and pulls your missile out & shoves it up an Immigration Officer's ass? Then what? You'll both be in jail, visaless & bowlegged!

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I feel safer walking round the streets of Bangkok than walking round the streets of my home town in Manchester, especially around the city center at 2am on a Friday and Saturday. Keep your wits about you and you should be ok. That obviously doesnt discount the fact that random acts of violence can and do happen.

Having worked as a police officer in Manchester I used to see people bottling each other and kicking lumps out of each other for the most petty, pointless reasons, like accidentally bumping into someone. It was always alcohol related. The yob culture in England is getting way out of hand at the moment. One of the reasons I came over here.

I've neither hears of anything like this, neither from my thai or farang friends.
Hopefully your Thai friends make more than the minimum wage.

Ok, my numbers are a tad off...and so is this thread (instigated by me...sorry).

Thousands protest in Bangkok for minimum wage increase

Posted: 4:00 PM | Jul. 18, 2005

Agence France-Presse

printable version email a story write the editor feedback

Get INQ7 business breaking news on your Smart mobile phone in the Philippines. Send EXTRA BUSINESS to 386.

BANGKOK--About 3,000 people demonstrated outside Thailand's Government House on Monday calling for an increase in the minimum wage, police said.

Thousands of members from the Labor Association of Thailand and State Enterprise Labor Association carried colorful banners as they marched to call for an increase to 233 baht a day from 175 baht effective October 1.

"We should receive the increased wage so that we can survive," said Vilaiwan Sae Tiea, the solidarity working committee chairman.

"Even the Prime Minister [Thaksin Shinawatra] thinks people should earn at least 233 baht a day."

The protesters also asked the government to curb prices. Inflation hit 3.8 percent in June -- a six-year high.

Thaksin on July 12 announced five percent increases in civil servants' salaries and retirees' pensions as part of a massive economic stimulus package.

Thaksin said the minimum daily wage may be increased by six baht for workers in Bangkok effective August 1, but any increase remains to be negotiated between employees, employers and the government.

Thaksin has given the minimum wage a 6 baht increase for workers in Bangkok. That should be able to buy a pack of Wrigleys chewing gum (with one baht change)! After 4 days of work laborers can buy a bowl of noodles! How generous!

Workers in Prachuap Khirikhan will get the highest rate of 8 baht.Those in Bangkok and its suburban areas will get a 6-baht increase, while there will be no increase in the rate in the southern province of Narathiwat.

http://www.biz-day.com/read/economy/18_jul...near_demand.htm

Looks like some people in the South of Thailand will get stiffed... And the govt wonders why there are problems down there??

Edited by frond

There are really so many vicious attacks against foriegners on the streets of Bangkok recently. One is that another foriegn student at Bangkok University International Division has been stabbed and beat to death on the street. It happened on last Saturday night at Ratchada and Rama 9 intersection. The victim and another foriegn student who was ridding a motorbike was stopping at the red light. All the sudden hords of motorbike kiddy gangs came from behind and stopped at the red light as well and some got off the started stabbing the victim for fun who was a passenger with machetes and knives and beat him with bats on the ground. The survivor who was ridding the bike suffered some injuries said the whole attack last only seconds and the gangs sped away.

The victim died in hospital. And survivor said he is so surprised that the Thai police did not contact him about the murder at all and show absolutely no interest in this case. He said he will try to make the case publicly somehow since police show no interest to solve this kind of motor bike random killing cases because a police told him they see this every night and used to it.

Another case happened right in front of my eyes. It happened in the back of Kao San Road last week or so. A place called Bangkok Bar. I was drinking with 2 friends next to the bar then suddenly saw all the securities were beating the ###### out of a foreign guy. He was covered with blood and lied unconscious on the street and these bar securities still no stop and continued to kick him on the face and his head. From what I saw the guy's face is disfigured by all the kicking. No one help and no police came for another 1 hour or so. And finally a rescue truck came and took the motionless body. I observed the police did not even do anything and did not even question these bar securities who involved in the street lynching that may have take his life or very close to it.

Later I asked a foriegn guy who was in the pub what happened. He told me this poor guy was so drunk and have no money in his pocket to pay for his bill. So one security guy started to hit his head and face and then all of them followed and hit and  kick this poor man's face and head for next 30 minutes as he lied motionless on the street without stopping. No police came during all that time.

I hope this poor guy survived but I really doubt he will survive as normal human being again. These Thai guys do not have much individual or independent consciousness or thinking ability, when one of their pals started to pound on one man, and rest of the hord will follow without knowing why. I have seen so many senseless viscious bar fights among Thai guys and all happen like this.

The other case is that a friend of my good friend. He just came to Thailand from Sweden on his second trip to Bangkok. He was taking out money at a ATM near On Nut about 8 PM. Suddenly some thugs smacked his head from behind. He dropped his withdrawn money and his ATM card but was able to run dizzily away to the street and got a taxi and ran away. He suffered massive blow to the head and went to hospital to get a scan. But luckily did not suffer internal bleeding. And rested in his hotel for almost all week before flying back to Stockholm.

Bangkok crime is getting more vicious recent years. Years ago most foriegners only involved in shopping scams or pick pockets, but recently the violent crimes againt foriegners have escalated to a viscious level and almost on a everyday basis. And police do not care at all for some beating of foreigners on the street or in a pub or even get killed randomly by motorcycle gangs on the major public street like Ratchada.

Because of the police and goverment inability and empathy, these street thugs including these low scum bar securities will strike again anywhere anytime against any foreigner.

>>>>>> Bangkok At Night Turns Violent Inferno Now, countless attacks to foriengers recently <<<<<<<<<<

Even Iraq is not that bad!

[threatening flame deleted]

Edited by sabaijai

:o Don't believe a word of it. Unless you are out drinking mekhong with tik-tuk drivers at 2am you're safer in BKK than anywhere else outside Japan I know. Man stabbed to death on London bus last week, and teenager murdered with an zxe in Liverpool.

Not to mention in England a man was chased and shot in the head 7 times by the police and said that they were deeply sorry. Its ok if the buggers can give back his life……. :D

Not good news for the average Thai when there's a huge influx of people coming in accepting less pay when the cost of living is going up. Doesn't exactly look like a recipe for social harmony.

I agree. In the compound where we live, the gardeners, etc. are all Thai Yai (Shan) or Burmese -- both groups are illegal aliens from Burma.

If the pressure cooker gets too strong -- Thai people being asked to live on totally unsupportable wages -- then the lid might blow. So they employ illegal aliens. But the pressure is still building. My (Thai) wife and I have done the math many times on how someone's supposed to live on 3,500 baht a month (without living with the relatives for free). It's impossible if you buy some clothes, make a few phone calls, visit the family on holidays. What that wage allows is rent for a roof over your head, noodle stand food, and of course a TV. But that TV will also show qualities of life you don't have and want you to have more, especially after viewing the rich-kid soap operas on all the time.

We also did the math on her salary -- college graduate, office job. Without my income, she would have nowhere near the lifestyle she has (and I mean just a quiet, modest house to live and the fact we can go grocery shopping without worrying much). There's no way -- just buy the cheapest bras and underwear and keep them as long as you can. Sounds strange, but I know from experience that a woman needs at least a couple of sets of good bras to make her life comfortable. And good bras ain't cheap. Can't afford that on 3,500 a month.

One way to keep the lower-middle class quiet was easy credit for a truck and subsidized fuel. Now fuel costs are almost real-world (diesel is still susidized a little), so that placebo is no longer working.

What are people to do? The girls can become hookers and get a step up. Some of the guys become homosexual hookers for the same reason. Some become angry, some turn to alcohol and drugs, some to crime. Some still try to be good people within the system they have. So important is family support: if they stick together and pool resources they can still live up to the values of Buddhism that venerate honesty and kindness -- I know a lot of Thai people like that. It's called "nam jai" in Thai.

If I was a fatherless, powerless teenager who went to Bangkok to find a better fortune I would be dangerous indeed. Luckily the testosterone has receded a bit and I'm married to the best woman I ever met.

And I'm also kinda old.

--Jomama

I feel safer walking round the streets of Bangkok than walking round the streets of my home town in Manchester, especially around the city center at 2am on a Friday and Saturday.  Keep your wits about you and you should be ok.  That obviously doesnt discount the fact that random acts of violence can and do happen.

Having worked as a police officer in Manchester I used to see people bottling each other and kicking lumps out of each other for the most petty, pointless reasons, like accidentally bumping into someone.  It was always alcohol related.  The yob culture in England is getting way out of hand at the moment.  One of the reasons I came over here.

Just about sums it up, really. I was a South London policeman for 17 years and had exactly the same experience. And the post (I think it was from WhiteShiva) about the way some farang behave is spot on - I am sometimes massively embarrassed to be English (I've noticed it more with English than with the other Brits) when I see and hear the way they can perform. I'm sure others feel the same about some of their own countrymen.

BUT the vast majority of farang with whom I have dealings are sensible and well-behaved, and I'm not aware of any of my Thai friends or associates ever becoming violent or objectionable.

I feel safer walking round the streets of Bangkok than walking round the streets of my home town in Manchester, especially around the city center at 2am on a Friday and Saturday.  Keep your wits about you and you should be ok.  That obviously doesnt discount the fact that random acts of violence can and do happen.

Having worked as a police officer in Manchester I used to see people bottling each other and kicking lumps out of each other for the most petty, pointless reasons, like accidentally bumping into someone.  It was always alcohol related.  The yob culture in England is getting way out of hand at the moment.  One of the reasons I came over here.

I concur. However, I still live in Manchester for the majority of the time and have never felt less threatened in the area. It really is turning into a great city now but like anywhere, i suppose it depends on where you like to hang out.

Mr BoJ

I don't like Kao sarn for clubbing. It's good for shopping but that's it. The cops don't even give a shit about the farangs there, I guess because all these low-life hippies won't change themselves. A farang with no shirt at the Immigration Office? No respect, no pride.

Sorry everyone, but this topic is starting to make me sick.

I Live on Suk and work on Suk. More often than not I walk to work. The only voilence I have ever seen is directly caused by drunken

yobs
. I have lived here and worked here for many years, the only trouble I have ever seen is caused by drunken Yobs. This has been in the morning, midday, afternood and night. The only thing indiscriminate is the time of acts of stupidity AND voilence caused by drunken falang.

I am sick of walking home for lunch, seeing drunks making a fool of themself on Suk. These people don't think of other people's opinion, no we are too polite to say it.

Many times I have been out for a drink with friends in all these "Shocking places" to all hours of the morning, I am talking about RCA, Klong Toey and Bung Na, rather than Cowboy and Nana etc. The only problems I have ever seen is with drunken Falang "Yobs"

I had to laugh the other night at this idiot from Scotland who gleefully told me "Everyone hates Austrailans - you are all a$$ Holes" I was polite. He didn't know my driver and my friends driver carry guns.

So think of what people think of you before you walk up Sukhumvit, drunk with a prostitute at midday.

:o Thais don't drink!?...

I had to laugh the other night at this idiot from Scotland who gleefully told me "Everyone hates Austrailans - you are all a$$ Holes" I was polite.  He didn't know my driver and my friends driver carry guns.

With friends like that who needs enemies? Carry guns?!? So, it's so safe that they carry guns?

Crazy people exist everywhere, Thailand is no exception.

With friends like that who needs enemies? Carry guns?!? So, it's so safe that they carry guns?

Crazy people exist everywhere, Thailand is no exception.

No they aren't crazy, its the drivers who carry them. It was the drunken Scots who wanted the fight. What I was trying to emphasize was people come here, apply their own standard and complain when people don't like it.

For me I thought they were idiots who thought they were tough.

Personally I don't like guns much, but my driver who is from Suratthani tells me thay are necessary.

Agree - there are nutters everywhere. In the UK we have 'care in the community' supposedly ex-mental patients kniffing people in the streets for no reason. A black kids of 18, church goer and Law student, was just murdered by 4 guys with their fists and eventually an axe because his long term girlfriend was white.

In LoS p*ssed of copper shoot people, yah-bah intoxicated taxi drivers shot, rape and stab people.

It happens. People are people. Some are damaged mentally, some are damaged chemically.

Personally, I have only ever felt unsafe walking alone twice - only in Manila (passing through shanty town in the 'old smokey' days) and once in Burma on a fleeting day visit. Never in the UK and never in LoS. I just don't think of those things. I don't insult people. If I did I would try to back down and live rather than than be a pridefull stiff - May Pen Rai, Kor Tort Krup etc - they work. If I think someone is a tosser, I think it - I don't tell them I that I think they are. Do it the Thai way, smile and think what a C U Next Tuesday!

For me I thought they were idiots who thought they were tough.

Personally I don't like guns much, but my driver who is from Suratthani tells me thay are necessary.

I'd tell the drivers to get rid of them. Who is it that thinks they're tough??

Edited by Neeranam

I always feel safer here in Bkk at night than in my home town..small regional city at the bottom of Aussie . Only trouble I have ever seen was a brawl between the motcyke taxi guys at the entrance to the Soi and their mates broke it up before it even really got started .

To answer your question:

Lets try this, as I said it twice :

this idiot from Scotland who gleefully told me "Everyone hates Austrailans - you are all a$$ Holes"
and
It was the drunken Scots who wanted the fight. What I was trying to emphasize was people come here, apply their own standard and complain when people don't like it.

In this particular situation, some geltlemen from Scotland, were rather drunk. Their behaviour was at least provacative.

If you were referring to my driver, he tells me its always a good idea to have extra protection.

What I was trying to say was more of caution. This person was drunk and clearly wanted a fight, I wasn't interested, but he had no idea of the very fast trouble he could get himself into wanting to empose his own behaviour standard on others, when they are in another culture and country.

Now maybe this would have been better:

I'd tell the drivers to get rid of them.

I live in a tourist area and witness some real lowlife Farangs walking around, a small percentage seem to be looking for trouble.

I even saw a guy at Suan Plu Immigration one day, without a shirt! ######, I felt like beating the crap of of this guy.

This is a very valid point.

I have always said to Thai friends how surprised I am at how tolerant the Thai men are toward foreigners.

I am very aware of how the Thai men must view us and I always bear this in mind when I am with a girl or if I am drunk and have always, ALWAYS stayed out of trouble and been nothing but polite and respectful to any Thai's who I meet, especially men.

Unfortunatly, Thailand attracts lots and lots of idiots who do not think or care and think the country is there entirely for their pleasure and amusement and those are the ones who let the side down hugely - especially us Brits I am ashamed to say.

Every tolerance has it's limits.

Thailand is definately rough if you hang around in those areas, but compared to where I come from, its a Kindergarten. In the 80's and early 90's you wouldnt go out you front door after 12 in Elizabeth South Aus. Being street wise also accounts for a lot.

Speaking of violent crime though, I think the foreigners in Phuket must be at the top of the pile.

Farang Man murders wife, stabs her in the head and hits her with a hammer :o

Farang Man feeds Thai wife to pet snake. :D

and on..

To answer your question:

QUOTE(Neeranam @ 2005-08-05 00:44:00)

this idiot from Scotland who gleefully told me "Everyone hates Austrailans - you are all a$$ Holes"

and

It was the drunken Scots who wanted the fight. What I was trying to emphasize was people come here, apply their own standard and complain when people don't like it.

In this particular situation, some geltlemen from Scotland, were rather drunk. Their behaviour was at least provacative.

If you were referring to my driver, he tells me its always a good idea to have extra protection.

What I was trying to say was more of caution. This person was drunk and clearly wanted a fight, I wasn't interested, but he had no idea of the very fast trouble he could get himself into wanting to empose his own behaviour standard on others, when they are in another culture and country.

I hear you Mattnich!

To answer your question:

and

I hear you Mattnich!

Matt has a good handle on what goes on here in Sukhumvit. I too know that some of the biz people running the late night drink stalls carry guns. With all the drunken belligerent farangs, who can blame them?

I think it would be interesting to see how many of these foreigners that suffer violence in LoS are tourists as opposed to expats, and further to divide them up between tourists and expats that have bothered to learn some of the culture of the country and how many haven't.

I would think it would be a safe bet that the great majority would be in the latter groups. Thais are generally tolerant (especially if we ignore the traffic cop thats had sh1t all day long from motorists whilst standing in the baking sun at some god-forsaken intersection and the cabbie who's been on shift for the last 36 hours straight kept up by horse tablets) - more so than most in the world (as I said generally).

They, like us, can be offended. They are, as we all know here, very nationalistic and immensly proud of their royals (with reason too), their country and their religion. They have, as do we, cultural faux pas that can cause varying degrees of offense. A little research before coming is all that is generally needed; I am not talking about a research degree, I'm talking about picking up a copy of Culture Shock Thailand or a Lonely Planet guide etc - most of these books cover do's and don'ts.

Maybe airlines should publish a scrib sheet (bullet points only with suggested further reading) for each country and deliver it with the tickets/confirmation. Make it compulsary that buyer sign and return a read receipt perhaps.

Air fares are cheap these days especially when compared to average wages in the west, In the UK anyone with half a mind to coukld muster enough cash for a cheap flight to BKK. The thugs that invaded Spain and Greece are now able to come further afield. Personally, I think the UK should have a three-strike-and-your-out rule; three complaints from foreign governments (police etc) into any embassy and bye-bye passport - just like they do for Pedophiles (sometimes) that has been caught abroad.

The thugs that invaded Spain and Greece are now able to come further afield.

Ain't that the truth. I have never had any problems with Thais, drunk or sober (me or them) but I've had my moments with farang. The last thing any of us need is the Union Jack T-shirt brigade pitching up and spoiling it for those of us who just want a quiet life. Its not much fun for families on holiday either.

Witness Report:

At around 4:43am on Saturday the 30th of July, 2005, I and my friend Y, who studies Marketing with me at Bangkok University International College, left Rachada Soi 4 to go to Sukhumvit. I was driving my motorcycle and Y was sitting behind me.

We drove on Rachada and stopped at the red traffic light Rachada/Rama IX, right opposite Fortune Town. Y and I were talking, and waiting for the traffic light to turn green, when all over sudden something hit me from behind. Then I turned around and I saw that Y was lying on the road. Three young motorcycle gang boys were stabbing him with knifes and machetes and beating him up with from what I remember a wood stick, about the size of a bat. They stabbed him in his back, totally smashed his knee, cut his right hand, and beat him at several other parts around his body.

Everything went so fast. I was only focused on Y, and told him to get back on the motorcycle, so that we could drive away. Then the traffic light turned green. Y, pumped up with adrenalin, still had enough energy to get back on my motorcycle, and said: "Bring me to the hospital!", where I said yes, I will bring you to Rama IX hospital. The motorcycle gang had left, and all the cars started driving. Nobody stopped and helped us. However, then he said he feelt very dizzy and lost his consciousness.

4:50am - I stopped at the side of the road, and put Y flat on the ground, next to the sidewalk. Then, I stopped a young Thai man with his girlfriend to ask them to call the police and the ambulance with my mobile. Then about 4 minutes after that two motorcycles came with blinking lights, but they were not police, they were not wearing uniform. They carried walky talkies, flash lights, etc. I think they are voluntary police or something. They then called the police over the radio.

A few minutes later, two police officers from Ding Daeng Police station showed up on their motorcycles. They looked at him and called the ambulance, who took at least over 12-15 minutes to reach the scene!!! I told them to call Rama9 hospital or Bangkok General Hospital because they are right next to the accident. I told them to hurry because Y was bleeding really bad. But they didn't listen, instead they called Ratchatevij Hospital at the Victory Monument. Eventually the ambulance came and they put Y in the ambulance car, where he then lost his heartbeat and they had to resuscitate him.

They cut open his jeans, and you could see that his knee was totally smashed and crushed. He was bleeding so much, as they hit the main artery in his left leg. The doctors said that they will have to amputate his leg.

The ambulance drove away, and the police officer told me to follow the ambulance, which I did. The ambulance went onto the express way, and I followed the ambulance even though I am not allowed to drive on the expressway. The ambulance then drove so fast that I couldn't catch up with it, so I lost the ambulance. I went off one exit, having no idea where the ambulance was going.

The police officer at the accident scene told me which police station he works for. So, I went to Ding Daeng Police station to find out which hospital they are bringing Y to. I also called the tourist police three times, but nobody answered!!! Then, the Ding Daeng Police found out that he is in the Ratchatevij Hospital next to Victory Monument. However, I had no idea where that was. So, I asked the policeman to please show me the way to the hospital. I had blood all over me and my motorcycle, so they could see how serious the situation was. However, they refused to bring me to the hospital. Then I asked them to tell the motorcycle taxi to bring me to the hospital. They told the motorcycle taxi and I followed him with my motorcycle for 50 baht.

Eventually, I arrived at the hospital; Y was bleeding very heavily. The staff at the hospital responded immediately with the best to their capabilities.

6:43am - I called R, Y's Butanese friend who then called Y's brother. They all arrived at the hospital 30 minutes later.

Eventually, one of the police officers that I talked to at Ding Daeng police station came to the hospital. It was the same officer who I asked before to show me the way to the hospital. He then asked me what happened, and I told him with the help of a translator. Then, the police officer and I took a Taxi back to the accident scene, where he took two photos and then talked to the police officer that was controlling the traffic light (at the time of the accident the police booth was unoccupied). This officer then said that Huaykwang police station is responsible for this.

10:00am - We went back to the hospital, where a nurse took care of my wound at my neck. After that, I left the hospital.

The doctors at the hospital were trying their best to stabalize Y, as he lost a lot of blood. He lost his heart beat several times. After the amputation of his left leg, he went into such a bad state that they could not recover his heartbeat. He passed away on Monday afternoon.

Until now, the police have not contacted me or the family, which I think is really strange.

I have to add that during the whole night, Y did never get into an argument or fight with anybody. He was with me and his Butanese friends first at RCA and then he went with me to Rachada Soi 4, where he and me sat by ourselves at a table, drinking beer. The incident was totally surprising to me. Maybe they were after the wrong guy. I did not have a chance to talk to Y after this incident as he lost consciousness.

A similar incident happened to my friend R, who also studies at Bangkok University. He walked across a pedestrian bridge and was hit from behind. They hit him so hard that he lost consciousness. He almost lost the ability to speak. He nearly died. This was a total surprise and random attack as happened to Y.

P

This story makes me very sad, because Thailand has many, many wonderful people. The fact that this was not reported in the Thai media suggests to me that Thailand is more interested in maintaining the illusion that it is untouched by the worlds problems and if there is any problems they are caused by wayward farangs. Indeed, this crap is supported by you deadsh*t farangs who say that there must have been some prior cause for an event similar to the afor mentioned incident tp occur. &lt;deleted&gt; you! you act so high and mighty, you make me so angry, maybe I'll cast some aspersions about your characters too, are you here to &lt;deleted&gt; kiddies?

I was walking home alone the same night this above incident occured and I was attacked from behind with a blow from some object to the left side of my head then had a bottle smashed in my face by someone I had not seen. I got to my feet and sprinted dizzily for a taxi. I had blood pissing out of my face and the taxi driver, on his insistance went looking for a policeman. We drove about 300 metres and we found one, who said the incident had happened in another jurisdiction, not his responsibilty. The police station we had to go to was 3 kilometers away, what a crock! In my country, and yes before any ###### says this is not my country (I AM AWARE OF THIS) the police will assist anyone regardless of f*cking zoning. When I got to the police station it became clear to me that this was a total waste of time so I went home.

My experince of the police here is to SERVE and PROTECT THEMSELVES. These pricks are half the problem here, it's no wonder Thais use them as the utter last resort, unless you want them to fill in a form for insurance purposes, they are ######ing useless.

These stories should be in the Thai news column.....

The thugs that invaded Spain and Greece are now able to come further afield.

Ain't that the truth. I have never had any problems with Thais, drunk or sober (me or them) but I've had my moments with farang. The last thing any of us need is the Union Jack T-shirt brigade pitching up and spoiling it for those of us who just want a quiet life. Its not much fun for families on holiday either.

I have noticed the trend for a while now. Becoming exponential !

Sometimes I think the place looks like midday on a Friday in a Weatherspoons ! :o