Any Experience With Medical Extensions To A Tourist Visa

At the visa company where I usually book my Lao/Cambo runs, I had mentioned that I only needed a few more months, not another 6. I was told they could get me a medical extension for 90 days and that it was a legitimate stamp given by the immigration office in Jomtien. I went ahead and went for it since i was cheaper and much simpler than a trip to Laos plus at the time the Thai embassy was closed for a week in Phnom Phen so that wasn't an option.

After reading a recent news story about a guy getting caught by police for overstay after getting a fake visa from some visa company, I'm wondering if this is a legit stamp that I got.

Didn't see anything about this sort of medical extension and I'm not sure if that's what it's called or not. I was told that the reason given for the extension would be medical so perhaps it's just a regular extension.

Anyhow, has anyone had experience with this sort of thing?

Thanks

Some extension stamps indicate the reason for the extension, eg Thai Wife or Retirement. I have never seen an extension for medical reasons and do not know if it also comes with and indication of the reason. You can see here what other extension stamps generally look like:

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/gallery/album/21260/1006-current-stamps-of-visas-extensions-etc/

Note that not all immigration offices use identical text for these stamps.

Some extension stamps indicate the reason for the extension, eg Thai Wife or Retirement. I have never seen an extension for medical reasons and do not know if it also comes with and indication of the reason. You can see here what other extension stamps generally look like:

http://www.thaivisa....extensions-etc/

Thanks for the link to the gallery.

I checked this stamp with the other 30 day extension stamps I've gotten and they look nearly identical but there are slight differences such as the spacing between some of the numbers and on all my 30 day extensions there is a hand written "2.4" at the bottom. This one has "2.25" so not sure if that's some sort of reason code?

But there is nothing written about a reason and it came with a legitimate looking receipt of the 1,900 payment from the immigration office. I think I'm ok but just wanted to be sure as this is the first time I've gotten an extension like this.

I surmise that those numbers are references to the respective paragraphs in the Police Order 777/2551 about extensions:

2.4 In the case of tourism purposes...

2.25 In the case of receiving medical treatment...

Therefore, your latest extension is indeed for medical treatment. I didn't know that visarun companies made these arrangements with the immigration office but from the look of it you should indeed be OK.

Looked into this a while back when Ithought I might need it.

Requires a letter from a doctor to say you are not in a fit state to leave the country.

It may be for a shorter period than 90 days.

Without a good medical reason and a doctors approval you have something that is somewhat micky mouse and could be questioned.

Do your own research and dont rely on others as you may get the wrong info.

Remember companies are there for profits and for some that matters more than the good of cliants.

If this was obtained without valid medical reasons it is illegal and you could be subject to serious problems. This extension of stay requires valid medical justification and it seems that this either was not provided or false paperwork was done in your name and such activity is highly illegal.

Now if you are under real medical treatment and a doctor has signed off on that and the hospital/visa service has just acted on that it should be fine. But your post seems to indicate there is no medical condition.

2.25 In the case of medical

treatment or convalescence

or to look after a patient:

Permission will be granted

for a period of not more

than 90 days at a time.

(1) Confirmation and request has been made by a physician

responsible for the treatment. The Physician must describe the

details of treatment and advised that the illness is a barrier for

travelling.

(2) In the case of looking after a patient, confirmation and request

has been made by the physician responsible for the treatment or

by an embassy or consulate.

(3) Patient Carer, except parents, spouse, children, adopted

children or children of spouse, shall be granted no more than 1

extra person.

I checked this stamp with the other 30 day extension stamps I've gotten and they look nearly identical but there are slight differences such as the spacing between some of the numbers and on all my 30 day extensions there is a hand written "2.4" at the bottom. This one has "2.25" so not sure if that's some sort of reason code?

But there is nothing written about a reason and it came with a legitimate looking receipt of the 1,900 payment from the immigration office. I think I'm ok but just wanted to be sure as this is the first time I've gotten an extension like this.

I had a visa extension for medical reasons a few years back. The doctor treating me gave me a letter for a further 42 days of treatment. and visa was duly extended by immigration.

I had a visa extension for medical reasons a few years back. The doctor treating me gave me a letter for a further 42 days of treatment. and visa was duly extended by immigration.

Were you told that you should bring your medical documents with you when leaving the country? Where you asked for your medical documents when you exited the country?

The visa extension wasn't for medical reasons, I was told after that that's how they were able to get it. So I'm assuming they forged some documents from a doctor.

If so that is a problem for me. The stamp appears to be valid but obtained under false pretenses. I'm wondering how diligent they are to check on that or if they just accept that the Jomtien Immigration office approved it and that's it.The back-to-back TR visas are technically illegal as well but if you're issued your 5th or 6th one, they just accept it. But with this, I'm not sure as it doesn't appear to be very common.At any rate, I'm going back to that visa company to find out exactly what they told Jomtien Immigration.Thanks for everyones insight.

First of all back to back visas are not illegal in any way/shape/or manner. It is policy to issue or not issue a visa in such cases and changes from place to officer to time.

Falsified documents are highly illegal; always. If found out the consequences can be serious. The normal finding out would be from the stamp used as that will be for a specific officer and if they become the subject of suspicion all there stamps will start to attract attention.

As a guess I suspect it may not be found out. But it is you that is at risk and highly advise not using such services.