Update: Savannahkhet Non-immigrant B

Just to update everyone on the situation...

Sunday night - caught the a/c bus from Ubon to Mukdahan. Arrived about 3:30pm. Took tuktuk to river and my g/f got a border pass good for 2 days and I got the departure from Thailand stamp. We caught the last ferry over the mekong and processed into Laos quickly - me with the 1500 baht charge and my g/f had paid 120 baht maybe for her border pass.

Arriving in Savannahkhet we found Hoongthip hotel - 1000 baht/night and payed for one night. We met a guy from Belgium who gave us a brief tour of the city and where everything was. VERY nice of him. He has lived there 2 yrs and works with a French company I believe he said.

We ate at Laos Deli or something - on the river - decent food - menus in English. This area is NOT an area that I wanted to spend 3 days in - waiting until the thai consulate opened back up on Wednesday, so I chanced it and went by the office and it was OPEN! I arrived about 11:00am. I was able to get my new Non-Immigrant B visa and I was finished there at 3pm and got the ferry back across and a tuk tuk to the mukdahan bus station.

They were selling tickets for an a/c bus that may or may not have a seat on it... and i wasnt up for the 3 hour + journey standing up. I called Ploy Palace in Mukdahan. My friend Alister here in Ubon told me that they had a van going twice daily from Mukdahan to Ubon and back. I caught it in time to make them turn around and wait for me and my g/f - they had no passengers - and we took back roads to ubon and arrived about 6:30 or so.

Hope that helps someone else...