Getting Married On A Student Visa

Well where to start… I have done a lot of searching but still have a lot of questions.

I have met a someone who is here in the UK on a student visa. The visa was originally for 1.5 years which now has 1 year left.

We want to get married and I understand that there are 2 routes we can go but I have so many questions even after all of my research and googling.

Route 1 Non Anglican Wedding/Registry Office

I am pretty sure the path we would need to take is this.

1. Apply for COA (I understand that this is soon to be abolished though) (I also understand that her student visa should be valid for at least six months and at least three months must remain. I read this on the COA guideline forms.)

2. Once approved Give notice to the Registry Office then get wed (yippie)

3. Apply for FLR(M) (I understand this is extremely important.)

4. Apply for ILR

Questions I have though are:

Q1. Do you have to supply evidence/supporting documents with the COA application? On the app and guide form there is no mention of this. Nor is there any questions in regards to our relationship etc.

Q2. How will she show that she didn't intend to come to the UK on a student visa to then wed? She is currently on a 1.5 year student visa of which half a year has expired so I suppose that sort of shows she intended to come here to study as it's now a year down the line and only now applying for the COA. Any thoughts on this?

Q3. If we didn’t get the COA and the COA scheme was abolished what does that mean to us? Does this now mean we could just get married at a registry office with no questions asked and then just carry on with FLR (M) then ILR?

Route 2 Anglican Wedding/Registry Office

I understand that you don’t need a COA to go down this route so the following would apply:

1. Get wed (yippie)

2. Apply for FLR(M) (I understand this is extremely important.)

3. Apply for ILR

Questions I have though are:

Q4. I have no idea about weddings full stop hence this being my first time so what is an Anglican wedding and can this be done at a registry office as well? (we just want a quite wedding and get the formalities out of the way so we can celebrate the wedding abroad)

Q5. Are you actually able to apply for FLR (M) after being wed via an Anglican Wedding?

I am really sorry for lengthy post but all these questions have arose from my searches and I am drawing blanks now.

Thanks so much if you can help.

Ash.

Edited by agsnowdon

Q1. No

Q2. Doesn't have to.

Q3. Presumably so; we'll know more when the CoA is eventually abolished.

Q4. An Anglican wedding is one conducted in an Anglican (Church of England) church by an Anglican vicar. If you wish to follow this route your first step would be to talk to your local vicar. Unless you are both members of the Church of England, and maybe also of his congregation, he may decline to marry you.

Q5. Yes, it is just as legal a wedding as one at a registry office.

Q1. No

Q2. Doesn't have to.

Q3. Presumably so; we'll know more when the CoA is eventually abolished.

Q4. An Anglican wedding is one conducted in an Anglican (Church of England) church by an Anglican vicar. If you wish to follow this route your first step would be to talk to your local vicar. Unless you are both members of the Church of England, and maybe also of his congregation, he may decline to marry you.

Q5. Yes, it is just as legal a wedding as one at a registry office.

Sorry for the late follow up. Thanks 7by7 for your reply!!!!

In regards to talking to the local vicar... there are a few churches in my town, how will I know which one is Anglican? Literally just by going an asking?

Thanks again for your help.

The sign outside usually says which denomination the church is, but if unsure you can ask.

Remember that the vicar is entitled to decline to marry you, particularly if neither of you are Anglican nor members of his congregation.

Why not simply obtain a CoA? They are free.