Tourist Visa - Date Of Departure From Uk

I'm planning to apply for a tourist visa. On the visa application form, "Date of departure from UK" and "Date of arrival in Thailand" are requested. What if I want to get the visa first and book the flight later (because I don't know yet the exact date I will be able to leave work; when I know, there is not time left to apply for a visa)? Can I fill in the date I think I will leave the UK, what if the flight is on another day? Or if I fly via Mumbai? I will technically I enter Thailand from India, and as I want to fly over night, it will be the following day after I left the UK. Using common sense, this should not matter. Hower, I'm going to Thailand!

I'm a 30-year-old German, currently living in the UK. I want to apply to the Thai consulate in Hull by post. My last visit was in June and July, two weeks with visa exemption.

On their visa application form, they still have GBP 28 fee for one entry tourist visa. Is this a different fee, or is this an error (as tourist visas are free at the moment)?

Just expected dates are fine - it is only used to advise you visa will be invalid if your date is more than 3 months in the future - you are not held to any dates on the visa itself other than using it within 3 months of issue.

There should only be the normal mail handling fee involved for tourist visa.