Golf Club Memberships In Chiang Mai

Antathome

I've never played it at 400 baht.. That can certainly change one's opinion!

They got so busy today they ran out of caddies! Mind you it's a holiday today. We went off without caddies, and they duly turned up on about the fourth hole. Second round of the day for them, and no time for lunch.

It plays well the course, it must be said. Dilapidated comes to mind a few times over various things, not least the drive up to the clubhouse, but greens are good, and fairways okay. Some tough challenging holes, and loads and loads of water. An interesting final hole, par 5, just 430 yards. Easily reached in two. But water to go over on the second.

Lots of doglegs, and the two nines are distinctly different, the front being much longer.

At 400 baht, worth a spin for sure! I think they need to be happy one lives here to get this price, but it's worked on two successive mondays now.

I've never played it at 400 baht.. That can certainly change one's opinion!

They got so busy today they ran out of caddies! Mind you it's a holiday today. We went off without caddies, and they duly turned up on about the fourth hole. Second round of the day for them, and no time for lunch.

It plays well the course, it must be said. Dilapidated comes to mind a few times over various things, not least the drive up to the clubhouse, but greens are good, and fairways okay. Some tough challenging holes, and loads and loads of water. An interesting final hole, par 5, just 430 yards. Easily reached in two. But water to go over on the second.

Lots of doglegs, and the two nines are distinctly different, the front being much longer.

At 400 baht, worth a spin for sure! I think they need to be happy one lives here to get this price, but it's worked on two successive mondays now.

Without doubt the way to play that hole is to top your drive leaving shot 2 a lay up before the water.

Fluff your pitch in to the water.

Go to drop area and chip in for a par. :D

Nobody has mentioned Hang Dong GC. It is only a 9 hole course and one of the cheapest to play in the CM region but it has a great layout. If you go early in the morning you can have a very enjoyable game of golf at a very reasonable price.

Don't worry about a membership until you have tried all the courses in the CM region. For convenience it is difficult to beat Gymkhana, another 9 hole course which is right in the city of Chiang Mai.

Nobody has mentioned Hang Dong GC. It is only a 9 hole course and one of the cheapest to play in the CM region but it has a great layout. If you go early in the morning you can have a very enjoyable game of golf at a very reasonable price.

Don't worry about a membership until you have tried all the courses in the CM region. For convenience it is difficult to beat Gymkhana, another 9 hole course which is right in the city of Chiang Mai.

And after 8am you get stuck behind the 5 & 6 player groups, but don't be concerned, they will let you play through. :rolleyes:

Hang Dong's not a bad place to play golf.. You don't get tested much on approach shots, but... It sure does test your accuracy, the caddies are fun, and it's real thailand.

Occasionally you do get stuck behind the sh1theads that can't make it around there in under 3 hours. It's like 1.75hr course that some tards manage to screw up.

It's a good course for an older guy to walk as there's no hill and the tees are close together.

• 2 weeks later...

Chiang Mai Highlands is certainly one of the best courses in the North of Thailand. It may be considered tougher than Green Valley, but it has the advantage of two expat leagues based out there (The Royal League and Asia Match Play) meaning that you'd not be short of playing partners.

The ten year membership there is 200,000 + 9,000 per annum. This is for seven days a week and no green fees are paid (caddy fee only). I believe there are options to tack on other family members.

Your best bet, in my opinion, is to come up and play the courses and work out which groups play where (assuming you want to join others) before you decide on where to join. Some guys up here love Mae Jo and/or Lanna, but personally I'd not be bothered if I ever played either of them again. Others equally dislike, Highlands...

A very good (lower budget) alternative is the new Inthanon Golf Resort. Membership down there is as little as 20,000 for three years (you pay 200 Baht green fees). It is a new and immature course, so it's hard to know what condition it will be in 3/4 years time...but it's certainly good value.

There is a full 100 Km between Highlands and Inthanon, though, so the location of home may also be an important consideration! Feel free to PM me if you want. I made the same move and the same membership decisions almost exactly one year ago.

Excellent - thank you very much - 200,000 Baht is about $7,000AUD so not too bad - I presume that the club facilities are pretty good - every time I have played in Thailand up until now, the facilities have been mind blowing (and I have been a member of a mid range club in Australia as well as having played most of the sand belt courses in Melbourne). Not sure where in or around Chiang Mail, we will live, but obviously transport will be an issue. I think that I might be comfortable driving in Chiang Mai and surrounds (not a chance in Bangkok). See you on the links :D

Driving in CM is akin to driving in Ballarat in my experience Bangers is no harder than peak hour sydney these days I was of the never ever driving in Bangers school too ... Now no sweat mate familiarity breeds contempt I guess LOL.

good luck!!