Golf Club Memberships In Chiang Mai

Antathome

Greetings and apologies if I am going over old ground.

I am doing up a budget for retiring to Chiang Mai (over the next few years) and wish to play golf at least twice a week (during the week is fine). Can anyone please suggest the following;

• Good course to join - moderate difficulty (my best handicap was 16)
  • Cost and do you still pay green fees? - is it worth buying a membership for the wife as well?
  • Any other relevant info would be more than welcome

Thanking you in advance

Green Valley is a pretty good golf course, and does a good 5 year deal, I believe..? I have a full membership there, with about 20 years still to run, and it is for sale, if you decide you want to join for longer than 5 years. I no longer live in Chiang Mai, and rarely make visits up there, sadly. PM me if you want to know more.

Chiang Mai Highlands is certainly one of the best courses in the North of Thailand. It may be considered tougher than Green Valley, but it has the advantage of two expat leagues based out there (The Royal League and Asia Match Play) meaning that you'd not be short of playing partners.

The ten year membership there is 200,000 + 9,000 per annum. This is for seven days a week and no green fees are paid (caddy fee only). I believe there are options to tack on other family members.

Your best bet, in my opinion, is to come up and play the courses and work out which groups play where (assuming you want to join others) before you decide on where to join. Some guys up here love Mae Jo and/or Lanna, but personally I'd not be bothered if I ever played either of them again. Others equally dislike, Highlands...

A very good (lower budget) alternative is the new Inthanon Golf Resort. Membership down there is as little as 20,000 for three years (you pay 200 Baht green fees). It is a new and immature course, so it's hard to know what condition it will be in 3/4 years time...but it's certainly good value.

There is a full 100 Km between Highlands and Inthanon, though, so the location of home may also be an important consideration! Feel free to PM me if you want. I made the same move and the same membership decisions almost exactly one year ago.

Chiang Mai Highlands is certainly one of the best courses in the North of Thailand. It may be considered tougher than Green Valley, but it has the advantage of two expat leagues based out there (The Royal League and Asia Match Play) meaning that you'd not be short of playing partners.

The ten year membership there is 200,000 + 9,000 per annum. This is for seven days a week and no green fees are paid (caddy fee only). I believe there are options to tack on other family members.

Your best bet, in my opinion, is to come up and play the courses and work out which groups play where (assuming you want to join others) before you decide on where to join. Some guys up here love Mae Jo and/or Lanna, but personally I'd not be bothered if I ever played either of them again. Others equally dislike, Highlands...

A very good (lower budget) alternative is the new Inthanon Golf Resort. Membership down there is as little as 20,000 for three years (you pay 200 Baht green fees). It is a new and immature course, so it's hard to know what condition it will be in 3/4 years time...but it's certainly good value.

There is a full 100 Km between Highlands and Inthanon, though, so the location of home may also be an important consideration! Feel free to PM me if you want. I made the same move and the same membership decisions almost exactly one year ago.

Excellent - thank you very much - 200,000 Baht is about $7,000AUD so not too bad - I presume that the club facilities are pretty good - every time I have played in Thailand up until now, the facilities have been mind blowing (and I have been a member of a mid range club in Australia as well as having played most of the sand belt courses in Melbourne). Not sure where in or around Chiang Mail, we will live, but obviously transport will be an issue. I think that I might be comfortable driving in Chiang Mai and surrounds (not a chance in Bangkok). See you on the links :D

I have another opinion to offer. And it is just that...an opinion. Other TV readers may have opposing views. Summit Green Valley (SGV) is a fine course--when considering the quality of the course itself and the challenge that it offers. It is maintained very well, has excellent drainage during wet weather, is certainly challenging, and in fact is technically (e.g., relative slope rating) more difficult than CM Highlands, and the latter is 40+ km east of the city...a rather long drive each way.

The 'hidden' problem with SGV is that there is no marshalling of slow play or play by large groups. You will often encounter 5-balls and even 6-balls on a regular basis...despite a posted sign that ask golfers to avoid play that takes longer than 5 hours. The management refuses to stop these practices because they want the money, and because a Thai simply cannot tell another Thai "I'm sorrry but we don't allow that". The Starter is the one who allows this to happen and at GV, this person simply refuses to stop--even condones--a practice that is prohibited at any decent course elsewhere. Sure, it happens elsewhere in Thailand, but SGV is one of the better courses and should do something to control these frustrating practices. The caddies won't lift a finger either as they are afraid of repercussions from the management or the golfers themselves--many of whom are mid-to-senior grade officials of the government and/or the police.

I have a very good ex-pat friend who purchased a 5-year membership and now deeply regrets that decision...he had no inkling of the lack of marshalling beforehand and is continually stuck behind these large groups of (primarily) Thais who invariably are also wagering on each hole. When you have 5 or 6 betting, beer-swilling, chest-puffing golfers all putting out on the green ahead of you, that can easily take 10~12 minutes, with all the practice swings, pacing distances, lining up their putts etc. A normal foursome on most courses around the world is expected to complete a par 4 hole in 12 minutes. This simply cannot happen at SGV. The sad fact is that most of these Thai players absolutely refuse to allow a faster group to play through. Even when asked politely. They have zero consideration for anybody else out there--I have found that perhaps one in ten Thai players will graciously allow you to play through them...these are usually older, more genteel men such as physicians and professors. . I speak Thai and heard one Thai golfer tell my caddy "the Farangs can wait". Please understand that I do not bear a grudge against Thais in general and think the world of them, but I do believe that the golfing population has not learned, and is not interested in learning the etiquette of our fair game and that it is a gentleman's sport.

In the high season, SGV gets busloads (I counted no less than 10 one day) of visiting Koreans and other Asians who flock to SGV because of its proximity to the city and because it is a beckoning course to play. Many of these visitors play 2 rounds in the same day and a regular member cannot get a preference for a decent tee-time as the management caters to the monied groups. We are second-class in that regard...because we pay less for our round and SGV certainly wants to pander to those groups and wants all of them go back to their homelands and spread the good word.

SGV offers night golf, but charges a premium to do so...roughly 50% more than daytime fees. The issue here is that if you begin your game after 4 PM in the summer months (when the sun sets late), you may actually only play 1-3 holes under the lights, but SGV charges you for all 18. It happened repeatedly to my friends and I this past year.

In Thailand in general and at SGV in particular, it is appears to me by their behavior that it is a badge of distinction that a Thai has somehow "arrived" at a station in life that allows him the funds and the leisure to be able to play golf. Their machismo and sense of male pride interfere with common sense and sportsmanship. I sincerely hope this will change but it sure seems very unlikely.

My recommendation is to steer clear of SGV...at least as far as shelling out significant sums for a membership is concerned. If you decide to join one of the social golf groups mentioned by an earlier poster, you will be able to receive discounted greens fees all over the province. This makes more sense IMHO than putting all your eggs in one course that cannot control itself and which will become a great source of disappointment for you. The really terrible thing about this is that SGV has so much potential to be the greatest course in northern Thailand...but it is squandered away by poor management and greed.

Finally, I repeat that these are my own personal observations...offered to assist fellow readers in making up their minds about whether to join SGV or not. It is not a condemnation of SGV, but rather a blog in a sense to offer my perceptions for your consideration. SGV may elect to change some of their faulty practices and if so, I will be overjoyed and would gladly change the tenor of my remarks.

Edited by Fore Man

I have only played Green Valley once, so you have to take that into consideration...

But, I had the same experience as Fore Man (hence why I only played it once). It was so slow that I never went back, and we were a two ball caught behind a few 5/6 balls. My society mates reckon it's a top course, but I find it hard to forget the bad experience I had...

And, to add, the facilities at Highlands are first class. In my experience of Thailand only second to Black Mountain (Hua Hin) which is world class.

Edited by OOB

I have only played Green Valley once, so you have to take that into consideration...

But, I had the same experience as Fore Man (hence why I only played it once). It was so slow that I never went back, and we were a two ball caught behind a few 5/6 balls. My society mates reckon it's a top course, but I find it hard to forget the bad experience I had...

And, to add, the facilities at Highlands are first class. In my experience of Thailand only second to Black Mountain (Hua Hin) which is world class.

OOB: I concur that CM Highlands is a first-class resort. They occasionally have their slow play difficulties but the course and its management are markedly better than elsewhere. My other votes then go to Royal Chiang Mai and Mae Jo in that order. I purposedly left off Northern Alpine in my order of merit list as I do not play it very much and find it expensive as well unless you become a member. But it is definitely a well-groomed, attractive course. A drawback there is that the caddies are not allowed to take the buggies off the cart paths...making them somewhat useless if your ball is lying any distance away from the path. The cart is therefore more for the caddy's own comfort than for the golfer who is paying for it. A final nod goes out to EGAT Mae Moh in distant Lampang Province. I consider it a well-kept secret and it is a joy to play...albeit a 140-km drive each way.

I have another opinion to offer. And it is just that...an opinion. Other TV readers may have opposing views. Summit Green Valley (SGV) is a fine course--when considering the quality of the course itself and the challenge that it offers. It is maintained very well, has excellent drainage during wet weather, is certainly challenging, and in fact is technically (e.g., relative slope rating) more difficult than CM Highlands, and the latter is 40+ km east of the city...a rather long drive each way.

The 'hidden' problem with SGV is that there is no marshalling of slow play or play by large groups. You will often encounter 5-balls and even 6-balls on a regular basis...despite a posted sign that ask golfers to avoid play that takes longer than 5 hours. The management refuses to stop these practices because they want the money, and because a Thai simply cannot tell another Thai "I'm sorrry but we don't allow that". The Starter is the one who allows this to happen and at GV, this person simply refuses to stop--even condones--a practice that is prohibited at any decent course elsewhere. Sure, it happens elsewhere in Thailand, but SGV is one of the better courses and should do something to control these frustrating practices. The caddies won't lift a finger either as they are afraid of repercussions from the management or the golfers themselves--many of whom are mid-to-senior grade officials of the government and/or the police.

I have a very good ex-pat friend who purchased a 5-year membership and now deeply regrets that decision...he had no inkling of the lack of marshalling beforehand and is continually stuck behind these large groups of (primarily) Thais who invariably are also wagering on each hole. When you have 5 or 6 betting, beer-swilling, chest-puffing golfers all putting out on the green ahead of you, that can easily take 10~12 minutes, with all the practice swings, pacing distances, lining up their putts etc. A normal foursome on most courses around the world is expected to complete a par 4 hole in 12 minutes. This simply cannot happen at SGV. The sad fact is that most of these Thai players absolutely refuse to allow a faster group to play through. Even when asked politely. They have zero consideration for anybody else out there--I have found that perhaps one in ten Thai players will graciously allow you to play through them...these are usually older, more genteel men such as physicians and professors. . I speak Thai and heard one Thai golfer tell my caddy "the Farangs can wait". Please understand that I do not bear a grudge against Thais in general and think the world of them, but I do believe that the golfing population has not learned, and is not interested in learning the etiquette of our fair game and that it is a gentleman's sport.

In the high season, SGV gets busloads (I counted no less than 10 one day) of visiting Koreans and other Asians who flock to SGV because of its proximity to the city and because it is a beckoning course to play. Many of these visitors play 2 rounds in the same day and a regular member cannot get a preference for a decent tee-time as the management caters to the monied groups. We are second-class in that regard...because we pay less for our round and SGV certainly wants to pander to those groups and wants all of them go back to their homelands and spread the good word.

SGV offers night golf, but charges a premium to do so...roughly 50% more than daytime fees. The issue here is that if you begin your game after 4 PM in the summer months (when the sun sets late), you may actually only play 1-3 holes under the lights, but SGV charges you for all 18. It happened repeatedly to my friends and I this past year.

In Thailand in general and at SGV in particular, it is appears to me by their behavior that it is a badge of distinction that a Thai has somehow "arrived" at a station in life that allows him the funds and the leisure to be able to play golf. Their machismo and sense of male pride interfere with common sense and sportsmanship. I sincerely hope this will change but it sure seems very unlikely.

My recommendation is to steer clear of SGV...at least as far as shelling out significant sums for a membership is concerned. If you decide to join one of the social golf groups mentioned by an earlier poster, you will be able to receive discounted greens fees all over the province. This makes more sense IMHO than putting all your eggs in one course that cannot control itself and which will become a great source of disappointment for you. The really terrible thing about this is that SGV has so much potential to be the greatest course in northern Thailand...but it is squandered away by poor management and greed.

Finally, I repeat that these are my own personal observations...offered to assist fellow readers in making up their minds about whether to join SGV or not. It is not a condemnation of SGV, but rather a blog in a sense to offer my perceptions for your consideration. SGV may elect to change some of their faulty practices and if so, I will be overjoyed and would gladly change the tenor of my remarks.

Great inside info. So important to get information like this especially when one is signing a contract or entering a long term money situation. Thank you.

antathome: I have played most noteworthy courses in Chiangmai several times. Highlands is a long way ahead of the rest IMO.

A unique course, the degree of difficulty there is moderate - high depending on your ability of course. Well maintained and perhaps has a good future with an owner who is not short of money. A little confused about their membership drive and pricing structure but this may sort itself out as time goes on.

My advice would be don't be in a hurry to pay membership or join any expat groups until you are comfortable. Nothing worse than paying a hefty membership fee or being stuck with one group and wishing you had more flexibility to play around so to speak.

Good luck.

antathome: I have played most noteworthy courses in Chiangmai several times. Highlands is a long way ahead of the rest IMO.

A unique course, the degree of difficulty there is moderate - high depending on your ability of course. Well maintained and perhaps has a good future with an owner who is not short of money. A little confused about their membership drive and pricing structure but this may sort itself out as time goes on.

My advice would be don't be in a hurry to pay membership or join any expat groups until you are comfortable. Nothing worse than paying a hefty membership fee or being stuck with one group and wishing you had more flexibility to play around so to speak.

Good luck.

Agree completely about the course membership, not so sure about the expat groups though... I joined both the Royal League and the Social Goflers when I got here (for just a few hundred baht) and quickly found out where I belonged (leaving one within a couple of weeks). There is no tie-in when you join the expat groups (financial or otherwise) plus you can join as a guest if you wish.

So many good courses around here I would not, and have not, considered membership of any single one.

Often fairly good deals from the various clubs provided you have confirmation of Thai residence- driving license ,Yellow book.High season a little limited but low season prices are normally excellent.

It's a weekly pleasure to pick and choose from the various options on offer.

So many good courses around here I would not, and have not, considered membership of any single one.

Often fairly good deals from the various clubs provided you have confirmation of Thai residence- driving license ,Yellow book.High season a little limited but low season prices are normally excellent.

This the best and most succinct advice on the topic. Well said.

I don't know about that, it's a personal and financial thing.

If, for instance, you live in Hang Dong and intend to play Inthanon once every week or two, it is impossible to find an argument against taking the 3 year membership for 20,000 Baht.

If, like me, you play 3 or 4 times a week, it's a very simple financial decision and the memberships win hands down every time.

If, for instance, you live in Hang Dong and intend to play Inthanon once every week or two, it is impossible to find an argument against taking the 3 year membership for 20,000 Baht.

If, like me, you play 3 or 4 times a week, it's a very simple financial decision and the memberships win hands down every time.

To qualify my response....

If you are happy to play:-

• Gymkhana
  • Hang Dong
  • Sansai (golf avenue)
  • Gassan Lakes
  • Lanna
  • Gold Canyon
  • Stardome
  • and arguably Mae Joe

...then my response does not apply. I am referring only to the international standard 18 hole courses. I am not at all disrespecting those mentioned, but merely agreeing that a membership at any of them would be a waste, particularly if only playing once or twice a week as all of them offer very attractive green fees.

Fore Man, could i ask you to expand a bit on your experiences at green valley. Firstly i'm glad i read what you had to say because i'm considering getting that five year membership since it works out easily as the best financial deal for membership in chiang mai.

I've played green valley maybe nearly 10 times over the last five years or so. Never really had a problem, but most likely i was playing in the low season since i've always been a member at either the old chiang mai-lamphun course or more recently mae jo. Never any problems, enjoyed my rounds.

So it might seem that the problems you mention are more of a high season problem, but that's exactly when i want a membership because all the courses become too expensive really with their normal green fees, even for those who live here.

Are you talking about all days, or just weekends? Are mornings worse than afternoons? Are there any good times when these five ball or six ball groups don't seem to play?

Worse than the waiting around is trying hard not to react negatively to the inconsiderate thais and other asians who are indeed just egos driving buggies round a course with not a care in the world for other people or etiquette. Thailand is a wonderful country, but the self-perceived VIPs are one of the very few drawbacks here.

Unfortunately they inhabit golf courses!

Antathome, mae jo course is a pretty fine course, very enjoyable and lots of different holes, no sameness about the course at all. Membership for one year is just 5000 baht, then it's 600 baht green fee weekdays, 800 on holidays and weekends.

Could be perfect for your first year, not financially draining, and you can then check out the other courses, for the odd round at other times. During the low season as others have said we often can get good prices at all the courses.

• 2 weeks later...

You've been given some good advice in this thread. OOB is spot on.

The problem with CM Highlands is that once you get used to it, you won't want to play elsewhere.

If I had to do it all over again, I'd buy a house in Baan Nai Faan 4, and get a 10 year membership. This muu baan is about half way btw town, and the course.

It all depends on your situation. Personally, I could practice or play every day..

Alpine is also a nice course, and a good option and don't let anyone tell you otherwise.. It's just not highlands.. It's closer to town, and it's just as well maintained. Some may like it more, as the fairways are a bit softer, making chipping a tad easier.

Alpine isn't as creative as a layout, and I believe it gets more traffic.

Not having the 20,000 baht to front up in one go! :)

As for the one course membership,I think we discussed this before.I do like Highland's and for an old hacker like me having only played the game for 4 years it is a real challenge.That said it would bore the pants off me playing over and over again.

Played 6 times in the last two weeks, 5 different courses-9 holes and 18 holes, now that I like! The 20,000 baht for 3 years at Inthanon is a good deal and I think that will soon rate as one of the best courses around. Currently 18 holes with car and caddy is 1600 baht-1420 baht walking!

Incidentally what is the current Thai resident price for Highland?

Played gassan lake city yesterday afternoon. We had the course to ourselves. Walk in rate was 400 baht for green fee, 200 for the caddy fee. Seems like this is the rate for the high season! Now, it's not the most carefully looked after course, but it's still great value at this price. Lots of fun to play, the front nine with very long holes, the back nine much shorter, so a good mix of approach shots. Also a good mix of easy to challenging holes. Magnificent views of the mountains from mid-afternoon on. Caddies were very knowledgeable too.

At this price i have to say it's a great place to spend one's money and golfing time. I love the khun tan course, but lake city is so much nearer town. Highly recommended.

Thank you all for your considered replies - will be over next year (want to get some cheap dental) - will have to try a few more courses out - mind you, the missus has pointed out the cheap fares to Phuket from the Gold Coast Australia (where we live at the moment)

Played gassan lake city yesterday afternoon. We had the course to ourselves. Walk in rate was 400 baht for green fee, 200 for the caddy fee. Seems like this is the rate for the high season! Now, it's not the most carefully looked after course, but it's still great value at this price. Lots of fun to play, the front nine with very long holes, the back nine much shorter, so a good mix of approach shots. Also a good mix of easy to challenging holes. Magnificent views of the mountains from mid-afternoon on. Caddies were very knowledgeable too.

At this price i have to say it's a great place to spend one's money and golfing time. I love the khun tan course, but lake city is so much nearer town. Highly recommended.

I'm not trying to be confrontational by saying this, but gassan kuhntan is one of the worst courses I've ever played. In terms of maintenance and layout, the place was just horrible. Just one guy's opinion I suppose, but my playing partner felt the same way.

I'm not trying to be confrontational by saying this, but gassan kuhntan is one of the worst courses I've ever played. In terms of maintenance and layout, the place was just horrible. Just one guy's opinion I suppose, but my playing partner felt the same way.

Add 12 more people that share your opinion, no fairways, no mowers, you could lose your clubs in the rough, never mind lose your ball, shit course. We will not be back.

Edited by alstaxi

I agree. Not the best maintained course but with all the problems they have had great value at 400฿ including caddy fee we paid last week with the Gassan card. Quite challenging and certainly not boring and a lot of water if you are not straight and fairly long in some cases.

Probably not for the faint of heart.

Will be back there next week after the long weekend holiday.

No worries mate. I've played there three or four times, the last time i think was nearly two years ago, and i've loved every minute of every round. Khun tan is almost a disneyland of golf, each hole is a great ride! And i like my courses to have great scenery, especially if i'm on a bad round, because then i can enjoy my walk.

The company unfortunately in the last couple of years or so, in my opinion, is suffering from the neglect of their ownership/management. So it would seem you've played there in this time. Lake city was somewhat neglected, but the fairways were fine and the greens pretty true, and i often thought i was on a scottish municipal course. Really enjoyable golf, and at 400 for the green fee in the high season, great value.

Give it a whirl mate. You may just like it! The two nines are also distinctly different, and low handicappers will enjoy the challenge.

I normally play mae jo or highlands, but we're going to give lake city a few more visits for sure.

I agree. Not the best maintained course but with all the problems they have had great value at 400฿ including caddy fee we paid last week with the Gassan card. Quite challenging and certainly not boring and a lot of water if you are not straight and fairly long in some cases.

Probably not for the faint of heart.

Will be back there next week after the long weekend holiday.

Rough and ready sort of course! But golf is great when you get different challenges, and lake city provides that.

I just wonder when they will sort out the management and get things back on track. Obviously by the sounds of it khun tan is being badly neglected too, although i'd not say lake was that bad at all. But the management are sleeping. The range went downhill maybe three years ago now. Then the courses followed.

But lakecity is good just the way it is, and i include the price in that.