Air Con Remote Control

springsteen

Hi

i cant work the air condition unit with the remote control only manually i know the remote works because it

works on the other unit in the other room. I just wondered if there was something simple could be done

save calling the guys out. I wouldnt be bothered about working it manually my self for a while but its a customer

renting one of the bungalows. any help appreciated and thanks in advance springsteen.

If the remote works on the other unit then the IR sensor in that room that doesn't work is Kaput. You need to get the guy in to replace it. I have just had one done and 350 baht I think it was. If you are handy with a screwdriver etc then take off the cover and they are not that hard to access. Down to your local air shop and get a replacement but for what it costs to get the guy in it ain't worth it.

If the remote works on the other unit then the IR sensor in that room that doesn't work is Kaput. You need to get the guy in to replace it. I have just had one done and 350 baht I think it was. If you are handy with a screwdriver etc then take off the cover and they are not that hard to access. Down to your local air shop and get a replacement but for what it costs to get the guy in it ain't worth it.

cheers and thanks for the quick reply.

i like to think i am pretty handy with a screw driver but like you said for what it costs

ill get the guys in. thanks again

No probs, like you say even if you can do it is it worth doing. I put the bike in for a service. it was running like a dog and needed a full service, oil change and the carb stripping and cleaning. Yes I could have spent the day doing it myself and going to get any parts needed and paying over the odds as a Farang but gave the local mechanic the job and he spent the day sorting it out. It is now running like a dream and it cost me 500 baht. Well worth it! :D

Getting a replacement could be a problem. I had an LG air con in the bedroom and got a new one of the same brand for the living room. The bedroom remote crapped out, so I got a generic one to replace it. Only turns the unit on and off, no settings possible, so I've got to carry the one LG remote back and forth. Couldn't get a replacement specific for the manufacturer.

I have York split A/C's which are about 3 years old. About a month ago one of the A/C's could no longer be controlled using a remote...coudn't even turn the A/C on or off without using the manual override button on the A/C itself. The initially suspected remote worked fine on the other York A/C's and other remotes didn't work on the problem A/C either. The problem A/C worked fine when pressing the manual override button on the A/C itself.

The problem turned out to be a corroded 3 pin connector on the IR sensor board on the A/C. Took the cover off the wall A/C unit, accessed the IR sensor board (not too hard to do and a very simple board), unhooked a 4 pin and a 3 pin cable/connector going to the IR sensor board, saw very significantly corrosion on the 3 pin connector (the corrosion looked like the corrosion you see on a battery terminal), the corrosion was primarily on one of the three pins, cleaned the connector (actually cleaned both connectors), put everything back together, and the remote function worked again and continues to work.

As you know, Thailand has high humidity which makes corrosion grow just like the jungle. And if the A/C drain line has ever got clogged and caused the A/C to drip water on the floor, then some of this overflow/dripping water may have also overflowed onto the IR circuitry (which is usually pretty close to one side of the drain pan) causing corrosion to grow.