Consequence For Self Defense Resulting In Murder Here In Thailand ?

Holysteel

I would humblely like to enquiry alittle about the law here. Since i have asked 10 different Thai individual, 10 different answers is what i get.

1) What is the likely outcome if one were to be attacked in the open street by an drug crazed individual charging with a machete, in case of a self-defense senario. Shot the person dead.

2) Held within knife point in toilet cubicle attempting to rob. Victim shot robber dead point blank.

3) Husband and wife arguing in kitchen. Wife charge with a chopper. Husband shot wife dead in term with self defense.

Please do take note all three senarios, assumed attacker's weapon of choice are bladed edge. Victim self defense with a pistol.

Thank you for all your kind opinions.

Cheers

Holysteel

pretty sure you are just trolling but if you were a farang with a firearm the likelyhood is that you will end up in prison. I feel fairly confident in my knowledge that farangs can't carry guns in Thailand unless they are working in some capacity for the Thai Government or an embassy.

Edited by anonymouse

The consequences of not defending yourself in the above scenarios is what I would be much more worried about. I would always choose taking my chances with the law as opposed to winding up dead or without my vital organ. Using reasonable force seems to be the keyword in most places I have lived. The great thing I like about Thailand is that money usually takes precedence over the law which can work out in your favor in certain situations such as those you mentioned.

Pardon me for not being detailed. Both victim and attacker are Thais. So whats the outcome?

The outcome in all 3 cases in Thailand would depend on who exactly the shooter was and who the "shootee" was....:whistling:

All to do with the "status" of the persons concerned, how much money will change hands, very little to do with justice and self-defense...:rolleyes:

There was an incident here in Hua Hin a little over 3 years ago, an American guy who lives about 5 minutes away from me blow away a English guy who had broken into his house.

The American got away with it as a case of self defence and I am told from a very reliable source that no money exchanged hands.

Your home is your castle and you have every right to defend it as such.

1) What is the likely outcome if one were to be attacked in the open street by an drug crazed individual charging with a machete, in case of a self-defense senario. Shot the person dead.

2) Held within knife point in toilet cubicle attempting to rob. Victim shot robber dead point blank.

3) Husband and wife arguing in kitchen. Wife charge with a chopper. Husband shot wife dead in term with self defense.

1. Use a machete ( glad you spelt that) equal force is what is required in law.

2. Use a knife, as explanned in 1,

3. Use a chopper ( not the one between your legs ) to defend your self as 1.

It is alleged that Thai law is based on French law which ain't far from UK law.

ive seen too many farang attacked by thai,s here in thailand, no guns involved but myself i was approached with a guy with a large machete in pattaya, i went and bought a machete myself an hour later and went back to him, luckily a lot of other thais got involved and it was sorted out thankfully, i didnt want to use it but im sick of farangs being walked over here, ok its their country but no excuse for them to think we are weak and spineless.

I blame Hollywood.

I think of no other excuse of grown men believing that they will somehow be Prepared for an attack on their person; See the attack coming; Have the presence of mind to act like the hero they believe themselves to be when attacked.

The reality is that most personal attacks occur in very short time frames from fast escalating situations.

The OP, and anyone in his frame of mind, would be better advised to spend less time dreaming about toting guns and more time about avoiding situations where conflict and violence are likely to occur.

Learn from your Thai hosts, the vast majority of whom abhor violence and do what ever they can to avoid it.

Like most sane people on the planet.

In my country Holland this would not be self defense because you use a gun against a knife. If you used something less as a gun it would be self defense. I heard it was similar in Thailand.

How about a wet flannel, or you could just play paper scissor stone with them to decide?

If your attacker has a softwood cricket bat and you have a hardwood one Im assuming that you will be the one to be banged up then??

In my country Holland this would not be self defense because you use a gun against a knife. If you used something less as a gun it would be self defense. I heard it was similar in Thailand.

Everyone knows that if you are attacked with a knife and you only have a gun, you must politely ask permission to go to the nearest store that sells fighting knives or cooking cleavers and return immediately to the knife fight.Knife v

0511-1007-0114-4317.jpgs. Knif

I blame Hollywood.

I think of no other excuse of grown men believing that they will somehow be Prepared for an attack on their person; See the attack coming; Have the presence of mind to act like the hero they believe themselves to be when attacked.

The reality is that most personal attacks occur in very short time frames from fast escalating situations.

The OP, and anyone in his frame of mind, would be better advised to spend less time dreaming about toting guns and more time about avoiding situations where conflict and violence are likely to occur.

Learn from your Thai hosts, the vast majority of whom abhor violence and do what ever they can to avoid it.

Hear hear

I blame Hollywood.

How very true, Hollywood has a lot to answer for.

“Fight or Flight” How many people actually think that they make a concise decision in the wink of an eye? Every sinew in your body will be screaming “RUN” (unless your sinew is socked in alcohol) Best listen to you instinct, step back……. Think, just what will I get from wading in? If it’s for face or a pride thing, walk away………………..

As previous posters said, I think in Thailand it is very important "who" the involved parties are.

For case 1, if you are a respected (business owner, high ranking employee, school director, etc.) farang attacked by a drug-crazed Thai with a machete, chances are that self-defense would be granted but they would want to know more about your gun and possibly fine/try you on gun laws. If you are connected to the police, they will forget where the gun came from.

Still in case 1, if you are a drunk, tattoo-covered farang known for shouting obscenities every odd hour of the day, they will probably arrest you and try you.

In their eyes, this would be pond scum against pond scum, so they would just try to get the money out of the situation and possibly send an unwanted resident out of Thailand.

As previous posters said, I think in Thailand it is very important "who" the involved parties are.

For case 1, if you are a respected (business owner, high ranking employee, school director, etc.) farang attacked by a drug-crazed Thai with a machete, chances are that self-defense would be granted but they would want to know more about your gun and possibly fine/try you on gun laws. If you are connected to the police, they will forget where the gun came from.

Still in case 1, if you are a drunk, tattoo-covered farang known for shouting obscenities every odd hour of the day, they will probably arrest you and try you.

In their eyes, this would be pond scum against pond scum, so they would just try to get the money out of the situation and possibly send an unwanted resident out of Thailand.

You are making the mistake of believing Thais have any way of discriminating between the two - or even that they care to do so.

For the most part, Thai people are as incapable of reading Foreigners as Foreigners are of reading Thais.

They do tend though to understand the money bit.

Of course they are able to do it. It' one of the most important part of their culture. When a Thai meets an other Thai he doesn't know, he should quickly judge if he is superior or inferior to him to know who is going to wai first.

I don't want to say they get it always right with foreigners, but they are definitively able to make the difference between a penniless white trash and a respectable tourist or businessman.

You are making the mistake of believing Thais have any way of discriminating between the two - or even that they care to do so.

For the most part, Thai people are as incapable of reading Foreigners as Foreigners are of reading Thais.

They do tend though to understand the money bit.

U kno too mut