Shopping In Slow Motion

garyh

We are in the process of building a house and I can't believe how long it takes to go to homepro etc to buy a few things when needed.

I bought lights and the girl had to take out every single bulb and plug it in to test it, Each fitting had to be taken out of the box and checked if it was broken.

I bought a printer at another store the time it took them to take it out of the box check that all the bits where there and find the warranty card was unbelievable.

I know some of you will say it is good service but when you are in hurry it is frustrating.

even if what you bought was broke it is not likely you'd get a refund anyway so what's the point. I bought a denon receiver from PowerBuy that was broken. They would not refund my money, insisted on fixing it. After I threatened to call amex, they offered me another new one, on the condition that I bring the replacement one back and collect the original after it was fixed. I never went back.

The in-shop check of goods being bought is for your benefit, as you know the returns policy for faulty goods in Thailand is; “Tough! We can sell you another one” The day of a no quibble, money back guarantee are still a long way off in Thailand, but, I’ve noticed some change in the right direction for the consumer since I’ve been here. Face it, credible companies around the world will blow you off if they can, companies in farang land are no more your friend than here in Thailand, they just can’t get away with blowing you off so easily. Things are changing here………Slowly. Thai’s are becoming more aware of their rights and mix that with gobby pissed off farang. Just don’t hold your breath just yet.

Don't go Grand Home Mart then.Once you select your items they take them away and come back with the invoice.You give them the money.They go away and get your change.They bring back your change.Then they lead you to to another part of the shop where they have stowed your goods.Then they check them with you.Each step takes about 10 minutes.Not much for one journey but when it got to number 5 to-ing and fro-ing I was ...I was...never mind.Suffice to say I won't be going back.

To me Home Pro/Home works isn't too bad in comparison.(except when you want something delivered and you have to give your life history as well as a map....)

The in-shop check of goods being bought is for your benefit, as you know the returns policy for faulty goods in Thailand is; “Tough! We can sell you another one” The day of a no quibble, money back guarantee are still a long way off in Thailand, but, I’ve noticed some change in the right direction for the consumer since I’ve been here. Face it, credible companies around the world will blow you off if they can, companies in farang land are no more your friend than here in Thailand, they just can’t get away with blowing you off so easily. Things are changing here………Slowly. Thai’s are becoming more aware of their rights and mix that with gobby pissed off farang. Just don’t hold your breath just yet.

A year or 2 back my Thai brother in law who's an amateur photographer bought a fairly expensive camera with a couple of extra lenses. When he got home he discovered one of the new lenses wouldn't "seat" properly on the camera so he took it back to the shop. This was within the space of an hour. He told me later they initially refused to give him a new camera/lens and wanted to send the one he'd bought to Bangkok for repair. After a bloody hour? He had to have a slight slanging match with the shop owner until they reluctantly agreed to give him a new one. Needless to say he told all his photographer friends to avoid this shop.

I can be a mild version of the "gobby pissed off farang" if need be when the situation warrants it. I'd bought some Pepsi at a local shop and discovered when I put them in the fridge that they were about a week out of date (obviously stock rotation not being this particular establishment's strong point). The guy in the shop didn't want to give me a refund or replace them either because in his opinion they were still OK to drink. I had to be a bit forceful telling him what a crummy business he had until I got ( with a scowl) a refund.

Some people might say he lost face. I'm all for saving a Thai's face if that's what required. But when somebody is taking the piss and they know it then it's TS on the face saving front.

Edited by mca

We We in thw est have come to think of good customer service as giving us what we WANT. Sadly, the reality here is good customer service is giving us what we NEED. and we need the shit checked because they'll be a monkey's uncle before they'll give you a replacement or refund in most locally led establishments.

Saying that, I got a refund in Tesco 3 years ago for an MP3 that didn't work. was inside of 21 days. No quibble.

Same at Big C with a kettle,about a year ago. Was a cheap ass kettle too! They just reached out tested it and gave me my money back. I was at best hoping for a replacement. Was quite impressed with a refund.

I hate the faffing around more than most I suspect. I hate how they tell you how much it costs then when you offer the money they ignore your offering until they've done bagging your stuff. Why not ask for it when they ACTUALLY want to take it? I also object to being offered a bag for single item when its already packaged. What waste and disregard for the environment. But mostly the amount of time fumbling with the bag is my objection. They could just frickin' gimme my change and I'd be on my way!

Time is not considered precious yet in Thailand.

You can opt out of all of the checking. Just issue a command from your voice box. Easy.

Myself it doesn't bother me, rushing around is for people who don't have other people rushing around for them.

:)

Edited by Heng

I get annoyed by discounts on marked prices...

I went shopping for a cheap memory stick

First stall - 390 bt for 4 GB

Second stall 389 bt for 1 BG (or maybe 2 GB)

So back to first stall, hand over 400 bt, get 50 bt change - discount....

So what was the actual price in the second stall? Bearing in mind these are items with price tags stuck on them, not 'first offer' prices...

Then in the next shop, the assistant is quick to tell me that the item I want has been incorrectly marked at 450 bt, but should be 600 bt less 20% discount....

Anyway, its only money and stuff...

SC