European Film Festival

NancyL

I've seen many films at the European Film Festival, which is in progress now for 2010. But, they moved the venue from the "comfort" of the movie theater at KSK to an outdoor venue on the river near The Chedi Hotel. Has anyone gone? Was it comfortable to view the films outdoors? I'm concerned about mosquitoes with the riverside venue. Are they using hard chairs? At least the seats at the KSK theater are padded, but even they got uncomfortable if I decided to spend a day seeing 3 or 4 movies.

Hi ! NancyL,

No, not as comfortable as KSK theatres but OK. Quality plastic stacking chairs covered in fabric. Watched 2 films consecutively without getting a sore back.

Atmosphere very pleasant. Passing boats. Usual over-the-river fire-crackers. In yard of stunningly beautiful 140 year old teak building. Decent toilets next door if required. No facilities for refreshments so buy from nearby shops or BYO. Any amount of off-road parking. No mossies to drain your blood that I detected on two evenings - but take a spray just in case. Screen and sound both large and good.

All up a pleasant experience , some good entertainment ( free of charge ) with plenty of seating available. I can't really see any reason NOT to give it a go.

Enjoy.

Cheers

Thanks for your complete response, SwaziBird. So what films did you see? I noticed that they repeat many of the films later in the week, so there's a chance we can get to see a good one during its second showing.

"Stormbound", swashbuckling, extremely well filmed and described as a high-octane hurricane of thrills and adventure surrounding some young teenagers who set out to sea. Lives up to the description - with the ending being a little weak ( predictably, since it had nowhere else to go ). Thoroughly

enjoyed the pace and excellent photography. On again tomorrow eve. Monday, 8th at 6.30.

"Kick- Off" a little drawn out but nonetheless fascinating documentary of the fortunes of the Austrian team's attempt to win the Homeless World Cup, an annual international soccer competition - this time held in Melbourne with some 53 (?) nations competing. Very special people with real problems making good. I came away feeling I'd seen and learned something important.

On again Thursday 11th at 8.10.

Won't comment any further on the two others I've seen one of which will not be repeated.

Enjoy yourselves.

Cheers.

Edited by SwaziBird

Where is the best place to find a current showing schedule? NP, mag, on-line source?

Thanks,

CB

Hi cardinalblue,

Try Thomat Chiang Mai Film Blog ,,,, thomatfilms.blogspot.com,,,,or, alternatively look at EU Film Festival Chiang Mai 2010.

When you attend a showing you will be given a pamphlet of all the films synopses.

Cheers.

Edited by SwaziBird

I receive the email updates from the Thomat Chiang Mai film blog and he's pointed out that the organizers of the European Film Festival are starting the films earlier than previously scheduled. Something about the neighbors complaining about the late-night noise.

We plan to arrive at 5:30 tonight for "Stormbound" because I expect they'll start as soon as its dark enough to see the film.

Sorry to bring a harsh touch of reality here, but cant share the enthusiasm of others! Yes, its a good idea, open air, near the river, etc.....but to be honest, several factors disappoint me.

The screen isnt a proper screen, its a kind of mottled metallic thing when you see it in the light and things dont project well onto it, the images arent good. The seats are way too uncomfortable for a two hour movie, the ambience is good, yes, but its too light for a cinema experience!! Lets be honest, movies work best in the dark...here, theres street lights to the right, the river and lights to the left and when i went they even left lights on within the auditorium area!!

I suppose if youre desperate to see a film for free, then fine, but sorry, I ll stick to the excellent DVD rental shop at Suthep Road, Wing 41, which i can watch in the comfort of my home for 40 baht!!

Unfortunately, I've got to agree with Postman Pat. Went early this evening with high hopes to see "Stormbound". Yes, the seats weren't as comfortable as in a theater, the street and river were distracting and the screen created poor quality images. But what drove us out within half an hour were the mosquitoes. After 15 - 20 bites it was evident that we needed not only repellent but hydrocortisone creme for the itching. We didn't see a 7-11 or drug store near the venue, so we decided if we had to walk back into the Night Bazaar for those items, we might as well go home.

I don't really like insect spray. I use mosquito coils when we sit outside at home. It's too bad I didn't think to bring several. There was much space since the crowd was sparse and the plastic chairs were placed on gravel. I easily could have lit a few mosquito coils around us.

Incidentally, the film looked very interesting, but I just couldn't stay to watch it.

:( Extremely disappointed with the venue for the EU Film Festival. Sitting outside, on a plastic

chair, to view a film can be enjoyable. However a Film Festival is designed to allow one to see

a number of films over a number of days and the comfort level then really does matter.

The mosquitoes were out in force but we did lather on the repellent. The noise from the motorbikes and

other traffic did not really add to a film about sailing on the seas or the slow emotional account of a

child's reaction to events taking place around him in 1939 Poland. However the constant barrage of fireworks

along the river really was most annoying. Please take note that every night we get closer to Loy Kratong this

will only intensify. The screen was large but discolored in several places which always adds to your viewing

pleasure. Good luck hunting for a toilet :unsure: and bring all of your own refreshments :) .It was all FREE

and there is much more parking than they'll ever need unfortunately.

We caught the EU Festival in Bangkok that was shown at the Bangkok Cultural Center (across from MBK Mall)

where it was an indoor setting and was a much better experience, though as mentioned previously a film festival

needs to be shown in a comfortable theatre setting.

Unfortunately, I've got to agree with Postman Pat. Went early this evening with high hopes to see "Stormbound". Yes, the seats weren't as comfortable as in a theater, the street and river were distracting and the screen created poor quality images. But what drove us out within half an hour were the mosquitoes. After 15 - 20 bites it was evident that we needed not only repellent but hydrocortisone creme for the itching. We didn't see a 7-11 or drug store near the venue, so we decided if we had to walk back into the Night Bazaar for those items, we might as well go home.

I don't really like insect spray. I use mosquito coils when we sit outside at home. It's too bad I didn't think to bring several. There was much space since the crowd was sparse and the plastic chairs were placed on gravel. I easily could have lit a few mosquito coils around us.

Incidentally, the film looked very interesting, but I just couldn't stay to watch it.

Well, it looks as though I've given disappointing advice to my fellow TVsers. Please accept my apologies. Am interested to hear of the intensified mossie situation. I had none on the first two evenings. Everything changes. Perhaps next year the Festival might be returned to the film theatre, where it belongs.

Cheers.

And what has been given the reason for the venue change? I am going to guess it was not trying to improve things but the movie theaters didn't want to host it. Not a money maker and the inconvenience of the whole thing..too bad if my assumptions are correct.

Since the vast majority of the movie goers are non-Thais, I am going to guess that played into their thinking. While tickets were good value previously, the movies were well-attended last year and the previous year so attendance is not the reason for the switch...

CB

I wonder if they fogged for mosquitoes at the beginning of the festival and now the effect is wearing off.

I asked the lady at the reception table about a toilet and was directed into the Anusarn Market to use their public toilet. Rather than cross that busy street to use what I assumed would be a dirty, squat toilet with a 3 baht charge, I walked down the river road and waltzed into The Chedi, nodding pleasantly at everyone who gave me a wai, just like I was a guest. The toilets are on your right after you come into the front door, as you head toward the reception desk.

I asked this same "helpful" reception lady at the film festival if she had any mosquito spray. Nope. For years, Hubby and I ran a greenhouse/nursery business in a mosquito infested area. We had cans of mosquito spray in very visible areas for staff and customer use. Didn't want to drive off customers because of the mosquitos. Too bad the festival organizers hadn't considered that. One can of spray is a cheap investment in "customer satisfaction".