Culture Class In Chiang Rai

TyGrr

Hello Dr. Latrobe of Rajamangala University will be offering a highly recommended culture class and I thought I would share it with you all. If you are interested please give her a call or contact me more more information! Thanks

6 interesting Thai cultural courses offered for 14 days

Thai cultural courses are Thai food, Thai dessert, Thai dancing, Thai boxing, Thai massage,

Vegetable and fruit carving.

Participants’ register fee is 20,000 baht per person (excluded accommodation fee). The

register fee includes:

-

Lunch for 14 days

-

Snack and refreshment 2 times per day for 14 days

-

Learning documents

-

1 day trip

-

Teaching and learning materials

Courses start at any time on the participants’ availability between November and December

2010. If interested please contact Tel. +66 0846121449

The following is the detail of the courses.

(1). Thai dancing

Unit 1 General background about Thai dancing

• History of Thai dancing

Unit 2 Practice Thai dancing

• Using parts of the body, for examples, head, arms, hands, body, knees, legs, and

feet

Unit 3 Practice local Thai dancing in all parts of Thailand such as Central

Thai dancing, Northern Thai dancing, Northeastern Thai dancing,

and Southern Thai dancing.

• Each dancing is unique and elegant in costumes and styles.

Unit 4 Practice standard Thai dancing which is popular in all parts of

Thailand

Unit 5 Practice dancing in application dancing styles.

• Application dancing styles consists of various styles of dancing.

Unit 6 Practice dancing in advanced application dancing styles.

• This kind of dancing is elegant and delicate which has a lot of time consuming

1 day trip

(2). Thai dessert

Unit 1 General background about Thai dessert

• Background of Thai dessert

• Types of Thai dessert

• Cooking equipments for making Thai dessert

• Raw materials and how to select

• The use of fragrance and decoration

Unit 2 Stir, steam, and bake

Thai dessert can be made by many ways such as stir, steam, and bake. The

ingredient are corn wheat, flour, egg yolks, and sugar

Unit 3 Fry

• Thai dessert can be made by frying. Before frying, the flour

is made into many shapes with some decorations in order to make

the dessert look appetizing. The ingredients are corn wheat, flour,

and sugar

Unit 4 Syrup and Coconut milk

• The taste of this kind of dessert is very sweet. Some amount of ice can mix with

this kind of dessert in order to reduce the sweetness. The ingredients are flour,

banana, coconut jelly, syrup, sugar, and coconut milk

1 day trip

(3). Thai food

Unit 1 General background about Thai food

• Words for cooking

• Information about Thai food and technique in cooking Thai food

• Management of food sanitation

• Food business management

Unit 2 Thai food cooking

• Curries and Soup

Cook tasty spicy and non spicy Thai curries and soup. Food

ingredients consist of chicken, beef, pork, prawn, fish, eggs, chili

paste, and coconut milk

• Stir fry, roast, and fry

Cook Thai food with many ways of cooking such as stir fry, roast,

and fry. Food ingredients are pork, chicken, fish, eggs, noodle, and

cashew nuts

• Salad

Cook salad in Thai style by using some ingredients such as

vegetables, pork, or fish mix with chili paste to make a delicious

spicy salad

• Steam and grill

Steam and grill are also popular way of cooking tasty Thai food.

Ingredients used for steam and grill such as fish, eggs, pork,

sausage, and prawn

1 day trip

(4). Thai massage

Unit 1 General background about Thai massage

• Background about Thai massage

• Spots in the body

• Types of Thai massage

• Equipments used in Thai massage

Unit 2 Practice Thai massage

• Face massage

Unit 3 Practice Thai massage

• Foot massage

Unit 4 Practice Thai massage

• Body massage

Unit 5 Practice Thai massage

• Massage with herb hot press

Unit 6 Practice Thai massage

• Herb sauna

1 day trip

(5). Thai boxing

Unit 1 General background about Thai boxing

• Background about Thai boxing

• Garland for a boxer

• Equipments used in Thai Boxing

• Pay respect to the instructor

Unit 2 Practice Thai boxing

• Pay respect to the instructor

Unit 3 Practice Thai boxing

• Running

• Rope jumping

• The punch out

• The use of knees

• The use of elbows

• Kicking

• Target fighting

• Fighting against each other

Unit 4 Practice Thai boxing

• Fighting against each other; red corner and blue corner

1 day trip

(6). Vegetable and fruit carving

Unit 1 General background about vegetable, fruit, and other material carving

Unit 2 Vegetable carving

• Spring onion

• Flower pattern on chili

• Leaves pattern on cucumber

• Lotus pattern on melon

• Lilly pattern on melon

• Rose and Zinnia pattern on carrot

• Flower pattern on radish

• Sun pattern on tomato

• Flower pattern on round egg plant

• Gold fish pattern on pumpkin

Unit 3 Fruit carving

• Rose pattern on mango, guava, and papaya

• Lotus pattern on cantaloupe

• Delicate letters pattern on watermelon

Unit 4 Soap carving in various styles

1 day trip

Typical responses on this forum.

5 people take the time to add nothing but moans to a perfectly straightforward thread.

14 days 20k baht - is that 400 pound? (am guessing you're all miserable old Poms)

And one expects it should be 14 days for 2000 - 40 pound.

Exchange rate hurting the old gits' society a bit much these days?

The vegetable carving should be good for the old farangs in Chiang Rai. There is a chance you might learn to peel a potato or carrot for your wife. This is a small amount of money for a wonderful farang experience that would keep us out of the bars for 14 days.

Perhaps not the most tactful of quips from some of us but I think the gist is, that there probably aren't many residents of any longevity here in the Rai, who would be interested in such a program. Sounds very much like something geared toward starry-eyed tourists and not hardened expats, some of whom live much like the locals do, anyway.

I suppose there are those who live in the bars and need an excuse to drag themselves away from time to time to dry out. Not the people I hangout with, but I have heard they do exist.

Anyway, the answers so far seem only representative of our particular brand of humor and nothing to get too upset about. No need to brand everyone as poor old gits or drunkards.

I for one have no intention of encroaching on my wife's epicurean domain. To do so would only serve to upset the balance of nature and degrade the quality of food in our lovely and peaceful home.

Edited by villagefarang

Exchange rate hurting the old gits' society a bit much these days?

This is a small amount of money for a wonderful farang experience that would keep us out of the bars for 14 days.

Brits and bars or money exchange rates don't figure in my life, thank god.

The price for this course may indeed be a misprint and if not is way overpriced and will hardly appeal to any resident of Chiang Rai.

I'm not sure where the comments about bars and old gits could be coming from. For the population of Farang in CR, it is a very, very small minority of us who spend their time in bars. And most of the people I know I are about my age, which isn't old at all.

I do think Don and genghis61 should buy as many tickets for that course as they can get and take everyone they can to it. Seems the right thing to do, considering they deem it worthwhile. Personally, I have better things to do with my time. But who knows, maybe they will have some success shaming a few Farang into going.

I'm not a Thai wannabe or a culture crackpot but if either of you go, let us know how it was.

I think its a very good idea more suited to travel companies to sell to tourists. Obviously Expats with time and money on their hands could easily attend also, especially those with limited social and creative skills. As for the old Gits who hang out in the bars , forget them , they already get a good deal with every 60bht beer they buy,eg, ladies on hand to massage(no mention of the happy massage in the original posters thread) food supplied by 5* restaurants. Drunks dancing up the street. The odd Bananna being peeled and shaped ! Save your 20k have a night out in Jetyod, all of the above under 1500bht :D

It is a very nice post by TyGrr and thank you to him for taking the time to post it. Information on upcoming events is a good thing. A little commentary is too.

agreed but I wouldn't think of it as a post, more like an advertisement for the university.

Song Mueng? No way Jose. But, since I can't afford to go, please ask them if the two large dogs (one black, one off white) that are allowed to roam the streets near the old aiport are a part of thai culture. They both have tried to bite me. They're out there sleeping in someones business during the day, and at night they form a pack.

Song Mueng? No way Jose. But, since I can't afford to go, please ask them if the two large dogs (one black, one off white) that are allowed to roam the streets near the old aiport are a part of thai culture. They both have tried to bite me. They're out there sleeping in someones business during the day, and at night they form a pack.

You might want to leave the "g" off of muen when you are showing off your Thai language abilities. Could be read as the not so polite term for the pronoun "you".

Well, notwithstanding that this is a no doubt worthy cause and legitimate endeavor....unfortunately Thai Visa rules are rather explicit about solicitations of any kind, even if they be for a charity; from the forum rules:

"25) Members are forbidden to solicit for or accept donations, gifts etc. for providing such advice to visitors and members. Likewise, it is not permitted to steer or solicit members and visitors to go to locations or businesses where it is necessary to pay for services or assistance. The exception is ThaiVisa.com sponsors, who may reasonably promote themselves."

No big deal, I'm sure this course might be of interest to some. I will not delete the thread, just close it.

Those who wish to refer to it at a later date should bookmark it now.

Thanks for your understanding.