Italian On Overstay Tries To Hang Himself In Pattaya Jail

i read last week in pattaya mail that an italian guy was on overstay, he ended up in jail, judge give him 3 months plus 5k fine, the guy tried to hang himself, was his overstay a long period ? i am overstaying at min but will take my chances untill i reach airport then pay whatever it is. also someone told me that a guy was jailed bringing cigs into thailand from dubai, only 10 sleeves of fags, this cannot be true ? i just want to know what the penalties are for overstay and if i am caught can i pay at pattaya or bkk police station ?

If this story s true I suspect both are cases of people not having enough money to pay the fine and for that reason being brought before the judge. 3 months seems harsh for overstay. Normally it is 200 a day if you can't pay the fine, so 90 X 200 would be 18,000.

Overstay can be punished with 2 years in jail and/or a fine of 20,000 baht. Normally immigration fines you 500 baht per day you are on overstay, with a maximum of 20,000 baht as that is the maximum fine. You go before the judge if you can't pay or won't pay. A judge will often give a lesser fine, but you might stay in jail till sentenced.

You are openly and flagrantly breaking the law. If you are caught before the airport then I guess you will be in a lot of trouble.

I just do not understand people like you who seem to be proud of the fact when saying "I'll take my chances".

As for paying the overstay fine at Pattaya or BKK I can't answer that but I suspect that the more seasoned members will shed some light on this.

Yep, The Good Advice is...pay on the way out and make it sooner than later.

If caught outside the airport you are likely to be arrested and may not be given the option of just paying up but get an appointment with a judge.

The laws are clear so do the right thing and sort it out. You cannot be sure which side the coin lands.....

Came here 23+ years ago I've never cared thinking of overstaying,,, just went out to get the appropriate visa on time and therefore never ever had any problems what so ever. People overstaying will do go to jail if caught, actually I would appreciate a THB 2,000 fine per day overstaying and at least a 2 weeks lock-up in a Thai jail for these kind of "visitors" even on the way leaving the country.

Edited by beach

Over stayers should pay 500THB per day over stay.

No 20,000THB max fine.

Also one day in jail for each day over stayed.

It is very easy to sort visas and visa runs out.

Some people are so tight/lazy.

Who should pay for the one day in jail for each day overstayed? The Thai tax-payer?

I am all against overstaying and "taking one's chances". That is very respectless towards the host country. I just don't know what to suggest about dealing with this problem.

I woul never ever knowingly break the law but there is one thing I will never understand: all these wellwishers who judge and sentence based on their own experiences

I just hope you will never find yourselves in dire situations

Open up

Edited by alyx

Bringing more than 200 cigarettes into Thailand breaches the customs limit.

A fine amounting to 4 times the value of undeclared items plus tax and duty, or imprisonment for not more than 10 years, or both, and undeclared items are also confiscated.

Thai Customs

So its quite possible he couldn't pay the fine.

I dont know if this will help but,.....I moved to Thailand in Jan and I had a 1 year Non-b visa, i thought it was good for a year,..i never travel outside USA/Can,...so much to my horror when I went to the immagration office I found out I had over stayed,...i went to the office to ask why i had a stamp that said jul 17 whe i was good for a year,...i went in sept,...they had a negative reaction and i just said sorry i didnt understand...so they said just leave and pay later...I left and went to the airport,..i had overstayed for 110 days when i left,...it took 10 minutes of my time,...i said to the offical I am sorry i overstayed,..i didnt understand i never traveled,..he said o no problem dont worry,...he asked me to pay a 20,000 baht fine and smiled and said please come back whenever you wish! I said I love Thailand and ill be back soon, he was happy and I was at ease,...my problem came when I tried ot enter my own country,...rude annoying people,...i was in customs for hours because the ysaid staying in thailand for 10 months was weird,...anyway, I had NO problems with the officals,..very nice :) However,..I did know a judge and lawyers and went with a lawyer to immagartion and had a letter from a offical at the thai immagartion office,....

I guess some people buy into the sthick that getting a visa to stay in Thailand is so very hard to sortout especially since the rules change on a constant basis ( haven't changed in a few years).

Then there those people who can't be bothered obeying the laws of Thailand since they donnot apply to them and I would wager these folks tented to be in trouble at home with the local law enfocement.

Then we have people who cannot read their visa entry stamp or be bothered figureing out how it all works.

The list goes on and on it's as long as there are people who travel to Thailand.