Tv Drinker's Poll

baht&sold

How many drinks or beers do you consume in a week?  

107 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Just heading out to a party and came across this in the news :o

Alcohol helps you think, say scientists

August 03, 2005 http://www.news.com.au/story/0,10117,16135927-13762,00.html

Cocktails ... brain food? What do you think? REGULARLY having a glass of wine or two with dinner could sharpen your dinner party conversation.

Abstain altogether, or drink too much, and you could be a dullard.

People who average two alcoholic drinks a day are better thinkers than teetotallers and very heavy drinkers, according to research.

An Australian National University study of 7000 people has found those who drink in moderation have better verbal skills, memory and speed of thinking than those at the extremes of the drinking spectrum.

Researchers say it is a mystery why. The study overturns conventional belief that alcohol kills brain cells, leaving drinkers less well off in the brains department.

Researcher Dr Bryan Rodgers said people who drink moderate amounts also seem to be healthier, physically and mentally.

"The research looked at factors including physical health, personality, social lives, social supports, friendships and enemies, and yet these did not explain it," he said. "It's a mystery."

He said there appeared to be no social factors - such as better education of one group - that could explain the phenomenon.

The survey was conducted on more than 7000 Canberra and Queanbeyan residents. They were sober at the time.

Moderate alcohol consumption was considered to be 14 to 28 standard drinks a week for men and 7 to 14 drinks a week for women :D (??)

News.com.au separate poll results from Aug 2cnd to Aug 6th:

920 (35%) Yes, it makes me funnier and more popular as well

538 (20%) I don't drink to get smarter, I drink to get drunk

637 (24%) I'm smart enough without needing to drink

182 (7%) Only losers drink in the first place

289 (11%) "Schtop talkin' an' buy th' nexth round, mate"

Comments? :D

Edited by baht&sold

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

When living in LOS I used to be a regular social drink (3= times a week) but since the move back to the UK going out just doesn't have same kind of appeal. I think being in Samui with the numerous bars, waiter service & live music daily spoiled me & now the pubs in the UK are boring & have no appeal so me & hubby rarely go out unless to a restaraunt or movie as neither of us like the scene here. So I voted zero drinks per week, as no social scene no alcohol, which now makes me a cheap date when we go abck to los as 2 drinks & I'm pissed :D Whether it makes you think better.... :o

So I voted zero drinks per week, as no social scene no alcohol, which now makes me a cheap date when we go abck to los as 2 drinks & I'm pissed :D Whether it makes you think better.... :D

Cheers Boo :D any comments on this then?

"Moderate alcohol consumption was considered to be 14 to 28 standard drinks a week for men and seven to 14 drinks a week for women" :o (??)

Blimey, 7-14 drinks a week for a woman!!! When living in LOS full time I was at about 6 beers a week or 1/2 bottle of sang som between me & a g/f on a night out (approx 3x a week) with lots of mixers & ice (10+ coke & sodas). So I wasn't so much of an alkie as I thought :o

Drink only two or three times a year. Did go on a 6 month binge several years ago when broke up with my TGF. Average: 24-30 drinks a week during that period but never at home and only socially (very socialable at that time). :o

Researchers say it is a mystery why. The study overturns conventional belief that alcohol kills brain cells, leaving drinkers less well off in the brains department.

Alcohol does kill brain cells but it is not indescriminate.

It works on the Darwinian Theory and kills the weakest first.

Hence all the weak cells are killed first leaving you with only the finest cells

Drinking actually makes you more intelligent.

post-624-1123330195_thumb.jpg

Hence all the weak cells are killed first leaving you with only the finest cells

Thank Christ for that.I must be super smart now. :o

i vote O , i drink beer rare (if i have other choice of drink) ..beer make me feel flatulent ,un-comfy with my tummy :D

but sometime drink beer is fun too :o

/edit ...Thx Toster hehe :D:D

Edited by BambinA

I went to drinking counselor years back who told me that 35 units a week was the safe amount.

You should have seen his face when I told him i had had roughly 480 units the previous week. :o, and 2 of those 7 days I had had nothing.

A bottle of spirits was 32 units

Strong beer a pint 3 units.

Normal beer 2 units.

Edited by Neeranam

I went to  drinking counselor years back who told me that 35 units a week was the safe amount.

You should have seen his face when I told him i had had roughly 480 units the previous week. :o, and 2 of those 7 days I had had nothing.

A bottle of spirits was 32 units

Strong beer a pint 3 units.

Normal beer 2 units.

So thats 480 units in 5 days's if you did not drink 2 of them. That works out at 96 units per sesion or 3 bottles of spirits or 32 strong pints. Thats some going.

I´m only drinking beer, on the average of 5 per week.Occasionally at parties up to 10 beers.In Germany they serve my favorite beer only in half liter glasses, so that´s 5 liters then.I never managed more as the way to the toilet and the time at the toilet will take 1 third of the time on an evening out.While in Thailand on holiday it´s more 3-5 beer a day.

I don´t like any stronger drinks, it happens about 5 times a year and then I´m pi**ed.Rarely hang-overs on beer but for sure after liquor :o

Now we know why Scampy is so bright :o

I said 5-10..however that being said thats not on a social outing.

Social outings per day:

Thailand - 6 or so a day!!

Uk - 6-8 Pints at the pub

Elsewhere - 3-6 drinks

Boo- not exactly true think you had 3 drinks w/me - you seemed not so pissed. :o

Now we know why Scampy is so bright :o

Drinking out of your mate's tennis shoes kills even the weakest of the finest, leaving you with La Crème de la Crème

..>Or at the very least, a dry mouth?

:D :D

Now we know why Scampy is so bright :D

Drinking out of your mate's tennis shoes kills even the weakest of the finest, leaving you with La Crème de la Crème

..>Or at the very least, a dry mouth?

:D :D

Athlete's mouth :o

I drink three or four cans of Chang on the front porch every night. Sometimes I like to have a Scotch, but not often -- too expensive.

I rarely drink when out because I'm terrified of driving if I've had more than a couple of drinks. But, I do like to have a beer or wine with dinner; depending on the cuisine.

I'm amazed at the range of consumption reflected in this poll. 20% of you don't drink at all? Wow.

For me the bid disadvantage of drinking as much as I do is that it keeps me from getting my weight down below 80 kilos.

My answer is of course nothing. If it wasn't it would be 100+

I used to be one of these people that thought it a waste of time going out if you could walk home. Ask Yorkie!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edited by lampard10

Poll:

How many times have you fallen over in the last 12 months -

:D None (I don't drink).

:o None (I can hold my likker).

:D None (I drink sat on the floor).

:D None (The wife/gf holds me up).

:D Once (but I was pushed).

:D Once.

:D Twice.

:D Thrice.

:D Fwic ..... Four times.