Drove Car Through High Water

I live down south, and during last week's flooding found myself in the unfortunate situation of having to drive though about 1.5 - 1.75 feet of water for approximately 100 yards. I have a Honda Jazz, and the water was up as least as high as the radiator (I know this because I picked off some leaves and other debris through the vent under the license plate).

While driving through the water, the car seemed to have a maximum speed of about 10 KM/ Hr. I was trying to get through it as quickly as possible, but it topped out at ten KM. Once I was through the water (again, it was about 100 yards) the car accelerated again with no problem. I was home soon after, and hoped too much damage hadn't been done.

I've taken the car out a few times since, and it's driving fine. But, the engine doesn't sound the same. Maybe it's just my imagination, but it might be slightly louder...and perhaps sound a somewhat 'labored'.

Any thoughts on what type of damage could have been done? I don't know much about cars, and if I take it into a shop, I'd like to have some idea of what might be wrong.

Thanks.

50cm of water is not a lot but when you start pushing it you will create a bow wave and reason for slow speed I would check your oil see if it's milky looking if it is change it. also look see if any water got into your air filter element.

As John said, check your oil for milkyness and replace the air filter element, It should be fine though as last year Laem Chabang was flooded one morning coming to work, the water was coming over the bonnet of my then car (Honda city) and it suffered no I'll consequences other than it was not happy with me riding the brakes in first gear keeping the revs up to maintain a steady (slow) pace.

As John said, check your oil for milkyness and replace the air filter element, It should be fine though as last year Laem Chabang was flooded one morning coming to work, the water was coming over the bonnet of my then car (Honda city) and it suffered no I'll consequences other than it was not happy with me riding the brakes in first gear keeping the revs up to maintain a steady (slow) pace.

would also use a water hose to flush the radiators from the back side (engine side)

check for water under the floor carpets. due to the carpets plastic backside it takes ages to dry out if not vented

check if any water in lights, if so take lightbulbs out to vent

Ideal speed is to just get the bow wave happening and stay at that speed, trying harder will be more likely to cause damage and you don't know what is under the water. If the engine did not stall or misfire there should be no problem especially as it was only for minute or 2 to cross that distance.

probably is your imagination, since any real damage and you would know by now. to be safe, do as the other suggested, get an oil change and look for water as milky drops. change your air filter. one thing not mentioned is the radiator fan. slow and steady is better through water. if the water hits the fan, then it can cause the blades to break if they are plastic or bend and/or break if they are metal. the funny noise could be the blades rubbing on something, and if it is overheating, it would be sluggish running, but you would know that also. to be safe, you may want to check the spark plugs, look for fouling, long shot but can't hurt.

also, check your brakes. they can rust very quickly, and if they are sticking, that could contribute to drag, making the car feel sluggish.

hope this helps.