Flintlock Muskets

wolf359

I retired here from the UK 6mths ago and I am a collector of flintlocks muskets and I would love to bring over my favourite three, one is an orignal 1796 'Brown Bess' (no licence required in the UK as it is classed as an antique) and the other two are replicas, a 'Brown Bess' and Baker Rifle (not realy a rifle because it has a smooth bore) used by Sean Bean in the series Sharpe. These require a shotgun certificate.

Any help would be very welcome and if anybody knows who I should speak to concerning this problem addresses and phone numbers would be most appreciated.

I have all the required licences (shot gun, firearms and explosives) in the UK but none here.

Hi Wolf359

Will be interested to see any constructive answers to this thread.

Was told that it was fairly unlikely to have a license in my name here, but possible in the wife’s name. Not sure about antique’s.

I was a collector/user, and a P/time Home Office Approved Registered Firearms Dealer in the UK, and also secretary of a Rifle club for 16 years before moving here three years ago. Mainly black powder cap and ball, and WW1 & 2 rifles bolt action rifles.

Also had a nice collection of Broom Handle Mauser’s and Luger’s before the hand gun legislation

Sold everything off and surrendered the RFD, firearms and shot gun certificate’s before moving here, but really miss the sport and collection.

Mike.

Edited by mike100

A few years ago you used to see the residents of issan riding around with percussion muskets which were made locally and used for lamping/hunting.black powder etc.

Then along came mr Thaksin and banned them all overnight, stating that they were dangerous and could no longer be held and used.

Time was given for everyone to hand them in to the police ,and for those who did not the

punishments were severe.

So i would think no to your answer but you could check with the police to make sure.

I have never been able to get an official answer to this.

I have been told that Thailand does not make the same distictions as uk. A rifle, shotgun, air-rifle are all the same.

There are two types of license. One is a registered firearm the other is a license to carry a firearm. The latter is probably hard to get unless you need it in some official capacity.

You may be able to join a shooting club and keep the firearm at the club so that it is covered by their license.

Please correct me if anyone thinks this is wrong, it is just what I have been told.

I've been in a couple gun shops here and from what I understand you can't get a gun license in your name unless you're a permanent resident. Getting one in your wife's name is no problem and the gun ranges may not even check when you go shooting. As for muzzle loaders, I have not seen black powder/shooting components for these guns like they have in the States. If they're just going to be hung on a wall then it's ok. I don't know of anyone here who actually shoots these types of guns. Guns/ammo are limited in their selection and are VERY expensive compared to the States. Many folks in the Issan and other rural areas simply make their own guns (muzzle loaders) but that of course is dangerous unless you really know what you're doing.

If they're just going to be hung on a wall then it's ok.

I seriously doubt any possession without a licence is legal. I know for a fact it was not in 1975 when a friend was found with a collector Lao hill tribe musket in his car trunk and went directly to jail.

If they're just going to be hung on a wall then it's ok.

I seriously doubt any possession without a licence is legal. I know for a fact it was not in 1975 when a friend was found with a collector Lao hill tribe musket in his car trunk and went directly to jail.

Maybe he meant with the pin removed and the barrel blocked.

Another point is that we might all be getting confused about registering a hand gun (which I think is easy for a thai) and registering a rifle.

Whilst I know people that have burnt their long guns;I also still see many people with them riding on motorcycles and occasionally walking around the village.

The small thai community around my house can be seen cleaning and even test firing their guns.I even got to load and fire one myself after expressing an interest.

I think that the local police would enforce the ban in the nearby town,but don't seem to be so interested the futher into the sticks you get.Suprisingly to me the gun was percussion cap and muzzle loaded,and looked ancient, but was told it was bought new in '76.The gunpowder,caps and shot can still be bought and come in profesionally made packets.The guns were last on sale from about 800b!