Xyes.exe

Neeranam

Could be adware/spyware/virus, using some other executable name. A 4-letter executable name is fairly common for malware which uses random names/characters. You could try searching for the program to see where it is in your harddisk and registry.

Neeranam

If you are getting this message then it means the Program itself is on your computer. I would suggest doing a search to locate the program using the "Find" function, and then checking the properties. This should give some additional information, such as company name etc.

Also just confirm that what the screen is displaying is XYES.exe and not XEYES.exe (Which is a popular program found on the internet).

Hope this helps

hi'

did you make a search to see where it was?

did you search for the possible links to applications?

more details .. please :D

as cndvic said it belongs to Unix world ...

autoconf, make and all .... scripts! :D

francois

ps:weird :o

Thanks for the replies.

Although I did computing science and failed in first year at uni, when computers were still fairly new, I know nothing about them.

Do you mean search for files and folders?

If not , how do I search for a program?

Hold on, found something in

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

also

XYES.EXE.3B8B4FDF.pf

Nothing in properties except - applications

Can I delete it?

The pf file is a "prefetch" file, something that windows makes so that it can load certain often-used files faster. You should do a more thorough search, since there should be the actual file somewhere. Since it's called by startup, it should be in your program file listing (start, all programs, startup). Right-click on it, and check the properties, you will see where it's located.

Also, use regedit, and do a search for the file in your registry.

Deleting the prefetch file won't delete the original.

Could be adware/spyware/virus, using some other executable name. A 4-letter executable name is fairly common for malware which uses random names/characters. You could try searching for the program to see where it is in your harddisk and registry.

I got something like this before..the cause of this must be from a downloaded files....I tried to scan my System with all sorts of adware & Virus scanner it doesnt work....

the error comes from The Hardisk & Registry where u need an expert to fix it...

As i am not an expert so i just format my HD and Reinstalled windows...And it works

Edited by tytus

I think you're looking in the wrong properties. Right-click directly on the program in "startup", and look at the "target" box. It will show you where the file is.

Regedit is the registry editor. Start->run->type "regedit". Press F3, and search for the program "xyes".

It is in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

I know now where it is, thanks.

that regedit, man I don't feel safe at all in there. Never been there before, looks dangerous to start messing about, is it?

Ok now found it in that thing, what do I do now? Delete?

Please do:

Start -> Search -> For Files or Folders

Type the name of the file (XYES.EXE), and in Look in: select Local Harddrives.

It will look in all harddrives of your computer.

It will tell you it can find this name in:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

And it will also tell you it can find it in another place, probably

C:\Program Files\...

Please give us this information.

And tell us also what version of Windows are you using.

hi'

it's safe to delte, start by program files, then doc and settings, and finaly by regedit.

in this registry it should be in HKlocal machine/microsoft/windows/current version/run.

find the culprit and no mercy! delete and don't forget to restart :o

a good idea would be to disable the system restore first and the re-enable it after clean and reboot, and why not create a new one with a name, to be able to find it later.

it's in program/accessories/system tools/system restore.

francois

• 3 weeks later...

Finally trying to delete this bloody thing but when i press delete it says access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected. Make sure the file is not running. How do I check if the file is running or not, and then how do I close it and delete it?

Thanks

NN

Finally trying to delete this bloody thing but when i press delete it says access is denied. Make sure the disk is not full or write-protected. Make sure the file is not running. How do I check if the file is running or not, and then how do I close it and delete it?

Thanks

NN

Hi.. I'm no expert... but you may have to start your PC in 'safe mode' then delete it. Maybe someone can confirm this.

totster :o

It is in C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup

I know now where it is, thanks.

that regedit, man I don't feel safe at all in there. Never been there before, looks dangerous to start messing about, is it?

Ok now found it in that thing, what do I do now? Delete?

Regedit IS dangerous, it allows you to edit registry entries and I'd DEFINITELY recommend staying out of there if you don't know what you are doing!!!!