Sleep Clinics In Bangkok

desi

I've searched though TV and found several sleep clinics in BKK. Does anyone have any experience? Preferences?

The reason I'm asking is that I'm finally fed up with not sleeping and would like more information before I take the leap. Also, I'm not comfortable around unknown situations so I don't know how they are going to get me to sleep in a hospital bed with all those bits hanging off my head (is that even what they do?)

It's been 3 days and you've had no replies. I'm not surprised. What does "not sleeping" mean. Do you feel tired all the time? If so is it because of lack of sleep, the heat, your diet, or your drinking habits perhaps? Do you have an afternoon nap and wonder why your night-time sleep is sobrief? Some people try to conform to some theory about what's normal. The news is that there is no normal. Margaret Thatcher reputedly slept for 4-5 hours a night. I know of someone who is the same. I know of someone who thinks he needs 9 hours a night. More info mate and you might get a useful reply. Love the signature.

Yes it's true there's no "normal" and if the OP says he/she is fed up then it's obviously bad enough for them.

I have a feeling he / she is also fed up with people commenting on lack of exercise, afternoon naps, or diet. Believe it or not, there are people who have very bad sleep problems even if they "do everything right". So I don't think desi is looking for that kind of advice which is why he / she doesn't give that kind of details.

The OP asked a very clear question about sleep clinics and I would say the reason there is no reply is that no-one has any experience with them.

Desi, do you have any reason to believe you might have sleep apnea? That's kinda the only thing a sleep clinic can tell you for sure and, if that's the case, a CPAP mask will help. Or they might tell you that you don't reach the deep stage sleep etc. which is not very useful because there's not much you can do about it.

Desi, do you have any reason to believe you might have sleep apnea? That's kinda the only thing a sleep clinic can tell you for sure and, if that's the case, a CPAP mask will help. Or they might tell you that you don't reach the deep stage sleep etc. which is not very useful because there's not much you can do about it.

I'm not sure what I have. Even as a toddler I had problems getting to sleep.

I'm a shallow breather in the day (I sometimes have deep gasps for air), but I have not noticed it at night.

I've tried a variety of fixes (some work for awhile but not forever) so now I've decided to check out sleep clinics. Hence, my query...

I'm not sure what I have. Even as a toddler I had problems getting to sleep.

I'm a shallow breather in the day (I sometimes have deep gasps for air), but I have not noticed it at night.

I've tried a variety of fixes (some work for awhile but not forever) so now I've decided to check out sleep clinics. Hence, my query...

I have been meaning to reply; but, even as an Interal Medicine Physican, I am not really sure what to say.

Here in the USA, most sleep centers deal primarily with people who have Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Those people wear CPAP masks at night not because they can not sleep. Rather they feel sleepy all the time because their airways cause them to have poor quality sleep.

If it were me, I guess I would inquire at the sleep center if they had someone with expertise in insomonia. Insomonia is a really common problem, and the current treatments are not great but "okay" I main problem is that I would prefer my patients to use medication for sleep all the time (and neither do most of my patients). I know of no treatment that will permenantly change someones physiology so that the can sleep. So we are left with sleeping pills, although generally safe, only solve your problem one night at a time.

I have been meaning to reply; but, even as an Interal Medicine Physican, I am not really sure what to say.

Here in the USA, most sleep centers deal primarily with people who have Obstructive Sleep Apnea. Those people wear CPAP masks at night not because they can not sleep. Rather they feel sleepy all the time because their airways cause them to have poor quality sleep.

If it were me, I guess I would inquire at the sleep center if they had someone with expertise in insomonia. Insomonia is a really common problem, and the current treatments are not great but "okay" I main problem is that I would prefer my patients to use medication for sleep all the time (and neither do most of my patients). I know of no treatment that will permenantly change someones physiology so that the can sleep. So we are left with sleeping pills, although generally safe, only solve your problem one night at a time.

Every few years I try drugs but they wrap me in cotton wool the next day so I need ott caffeine to get any work done. I have a lightweight system when it comes to drugs.

I don't know if it was on my mind, but after reading more about sleep apnea yesterday I was woken up by gasping minutes after getting to sleep late last night. I've read about sleep apnea before but discounted it because I hadn't experienced it on a regular basis. My main (immediate) problem is getting to sleep. Watching the sun come up in the morning after being up all night is not a treat. It's very difficult to function like this. I can't easily retain when I study (I'm slogging away at Thai). And re-motivating myself after any stint of not sleeping gets harder each time.

There are a number of sleep clinics in Bangkok so I'll start calling around. Thank you.

• 2 months later...

Did you ever find any sleep clinics to help you?

I know for a fact that I have obstructive sleep apnea. I was diagnosed with it years ago, had the surgery, it went away, but is now back.

I too would like to get a sleep study done. I don't live in Thailand, but plan to visit soon. I sent email to Bumungrad, but they've yet to respond.

I was wondering if you knew approximately how much the sleep study would cost at the various clinics.

• 1 year later...

I'm a little late on this topic, but the going rate for the sleep study in Thailand is 14-15,000 Thb, a real bargain when you consider the same tests cost $3000-$4000 in the US. I plan on having my study done at Bumrungrad in November.