Dual Visitor Visa Proposed

Aug 6, 2005 (The Nation)

Tourists will soon travel to Thailand and Cambodia using a single visa under a scheme initiated to boost tourism in the Southeast Asian region.

Thai Foreign Minister Kantathi Supamongkhon said the two countries would discuss details of the proposal in the near future, but he did not put a time frame on the plan.

He was speaking after attending a meeting of five countries, Burma, Cambodia, Laos, Thailand and Vietnam, in Siem Reap province. The meeting was held under the Ayeyawady-Chao Phya-Mekong Economic Cooperation Strategy (Acmecs).

“All five countries have agreed in principle to the five-country, one-destination scheme, but Thailand and Cambodia are countries that are ready. We start first, and the rest said they would join later,” Kantathi said.

As Thailand and Cambodia start the scheme, they will discover the difficulties in the operation, so that when the other countries join they can operate smoothly.

Details of the discussion will include the sharing of visa fees.

Meanwhile Burma’s Foreign Minister Nyan Win said his country welcomed the idea and really wanted to join.

“However, in our case, we will participate in it later,” he said without elaboration. Burma has been criticised for political problems and not being fully open to foreign visitors.

Won't this screw up the visa run brigade?

That would depend on whether a general visa for Thailand becomes acceptable for use by whatever countries choose to be a part of this program or if this scheme would entail some entirely new visa category that covers the group of participant countries. Assuming this comes to pass (I have serious doubts), I would suspect the latter to be the case. I can't picture for example, a Thai non-immigrant 'B' visa being acceptabe as such by the Vietnamese authorities.

Won't this screw up the visa run brigade?

That would depend on whether a general visa for Thailand becomes acceptable for use by whatever countries choose to be a part of this program or if this scheme would entail some entirely new visa category that covers the group of participant countries. Assuming this comes to pass (I have serious doubts), I would suspect the latter to be the case. I can't picture for example, a Thai non-immigrant 'B' visa being acceptabe as such by the Vietnamese authorities.

Doubts here too. :o