Kanchanabri Itinerary Suggestions Please

TCA

Hoping to spend the best part of a week in Kanchanaburi around Xmas or New Year and looking for some advice for my trip:

1) Accomodation - should we be pre-booking given it's high season around Xmas or New Year? Or is it even busy at weekends normally and better doing a Monday to Friday? Location - is it better to be in the centre of the town by the river or is too much like Ko San Road as has been suggested on some forums? Don't mind a bit of that for the festive season, just not something over the top. Are there quiet riverside guesthouses or are they all backing onto a noisy road? If so, can anyone recommend somewhere a little bit quieter? Homestays, rafthouses?

2) Apart from all the WW2 stuff, any good recommendations of things to see and do in our limited time there? Looks to be a safari park, tiger sanctuary, Sai Yok Noi Waterfall, Erawan National Park, kayaking etc....Anyone with anyone personal experience care to list any must see/must do things in our short time there?

3) Transport - is hiring a motorbike the best to way to get around and see everything? Or perhaps a combination of that and local transport? Or are tours value for money in Kanchanaburi?

Any tips much appreciated.

Thanks

TCA

I'd say definitely prebook - and expect the hotel rates to be about double what they normally are. Around New Year you might also have to have a compulsory gala dinner in some places.

I like the Felix hotel, on the opposite bank of the river in a quiet location (apart from the occasional passing raft). Alternatively, stay in one of the resorts outside town. For both options you'll need your own transport.

Sai Yok national park is in two parts. The waterfall at Sai Yok Yai is larger and there's a suspension bridge across the river to give you a better view. However, I wouldn't call the falls particularly impressive. You can get to Say Yok Noi by (infrequent) train. The journey is pleasant.

Prasat Meuang Singh is a nice Khmer temple - though only of interest if you haven't seen similar Khmer temples in Isaan or are a total temple nut.

There is a pair of Buddhist temples on top of a small hill a few kilometres outside town. Can't remember the names, but they're in the guide books. One is very modernistic and rather strange, the other Chinese-style. There's a small railway that takes you to the top for a small charge - or you can walk.

Public transport tends to be a rip-off. Even for the train back to Bangkok there's dual pricing.

If you've got kids then the safari park is worth a trip. Not particularly outstanding itself but they take you round on a minibus and at one point stop in the giraffe area and the giraffes surround the vehicle and stick their head and necks fully into the bus windows and you can feed them vegetables available for sale when you buy a ticket.You're literally face to face with them. I defy anybody not to be entertained.

The only slight downside was despite proffering my Thai D/L the woman behind the counter wasn't going to budge on the non-Thai price. 300 baht as opposed to 200 I seem to recall. Not going to let that spoil my families enjoyment anyhow.

Edited by mca

Thanks to all above for the information. Very useful. Seems like plenty to do. I've since read some bad reports about the Tiger Sanctuary/Temple, so will be striking that from my list. The rest looks good though and enough to keep us occupied for a week.

I'm now thinking about going several days before Xmas to avoid having to pre-book any accomodation. Probably just going to choose a guesthouse in the centre, possibly on the river, just so we have a choice of bars and restaurants at our disposal. Although a quiet retreat outside of the town appeals, I think with it being Xmas and New Year, we'll opt to be central with the option to move away if not enjoying it. Pong Phen Guesthouse & Bungalows seems to get good reviews, especially the rooms by the pool for 500 baht? Anyone tried here or any other recommendations along these lines?

A couple of posters touched on the dual pricing aspect and I also read that Erawan National Park is even worse in that respect. I have a 5 year Thai driving licence so will give that a go, although maybe fruitless as mca found out at the safari park. Seems also to be to some strange sort of pricing for the "Death Railway" journey depending on where you board the train, so will need to check that out.

No kids on this trip by the way, just a couple of big kids, but sure we'll enjoy the animals anyway.

Thanks to all above for the information. Very useful. Seems like plenty to do. I've since read some bad reports about the Tiger Sanctuary/Temple, so will be striking that from my list. The rest looks good though and enough to keep us occupied for a week.

I'm now thinking about going several days before Xmas to avoid having to pre-book any accomodation. Probably just going to choose a guesthouse in the centre, possibly on the river, just so we have a choice of bars and restaurants at our disposal. Although a quiet retreat outside of the town appeals, I think with it being Xmas and New Year, we'll opt to be central with the option to move away if not enjoying it. Pong Phen Guesthouse & Bungalows seems to get good reviews, especially the rooms by the pool for 500 baht? Anyone tried here or any other recommendations along these lines?

A couple of posters touched on the dual pricing aspect and I also read that Erawan National Park is even worse in that respect. I have a 5 year Thai driving licence so will give that a go, although maybe fruitless as mca found out at the safari park. Seems also to be to some strange sort of pricing for the "Death Railway" journey depending on where you board the train, so will need to check that out.

No kids on this trip by the way, just a couple of big kids, but sure we'll enjoy the animals anyway.

Hi TCA user_popup.png,

Have you visited our http://www.thaivisa....l-kanchanaburi/ thread? lots of info and much more in the Central Thailand Forum which you are in on Kan.

As for Christmas here not much happening, but this year it is over the week-end so could be busy, but I still think it will be just a normal week-end in Kan.

Glad to read that Tiger Sanctuary is of your list, however please do visit the Tigar Temple as mention by AyG user_popup.png Wat Tum Saeu, photos are in the above link btw by Frank.:)

Need more info then just ask.

Sawadee :wai:

Think most of the stuff has been covered. As mentioned earlier the Safari Park is a bit of a laugh - although to be honest it's not particularly great other than the Giraffe enclosure which we found to be entertaining. Always worth taking a longtail boat down the river, a nice way to take in a few of the regualr tourist attractions. Erawan is fine, it is a nice day out and with a Thai driving licence you shouln't have a problem, also the same at the Safari park, where i actually forgot to take my ID, but as I was with my daughter and spoke a little Thai I got the regualr price.

There is also as mentioned the Temple on the ring road which is worth viewing, and then there is Sai Yok waterfalls and Hin Dat Hot springs which are also reachable. Srinarkarin dam is also close by.

As for accomodation - Phong Phen (might be miss spelt) is a good place to stop if you want to stay on or around the strip - always gets good reviews, and I have found it to be decent enough. If you want a bit further out, then there is Xanadu in Nong Bua, you should find it on xanadu2008.com nice location, nice people that run it and well maintained.

I am sure you will enjoy it up there in Kan.

We stayed at a place on the river a few years ago. Barely got any sleep due to the party boats floating down the river. They last until the early hours. We checked out the next day and found a quieter place away from the river. Not sure if they are still doing this, but worth checking out for sure.

Maybe I'll have to try one of the river places for accomodation first and see how that goes. Don't mind late nights but wouldn't want to be unable to sleep well into the early hours if we're up and about early hitting the tourist trail.

Maybe I'll have to try one of the river places for accomodation first and see how that goes. Don't mind late nights but wouldn't want to be unable to sleep well into the early hours if we're up and about early hitting the tourist trail.

You might reconsider after seeing these videos....the boats run all night long....and are right outside your window...

post-5869-0-60897700-1289796560_thumb.jp

post-5869-0-74258100-1289796563_thumb.jp

I stayed at the Noble Knight which is next door to Pong Phen and liked it a lot. Cost about 750 baht for the superior room with a lovely clean pool, free snooker and 2 free breakfasts.They also have floating rooms. The tour company next door is pretty good value and so many places to eat and drink in the Soi. Didn,t need a bike. The tuk tuks were cheap enough. I got the the Thai girl to book and saved a couple of hundred baht plus we got a free upgrade to the better room below the pool.

Just come back from Kan and spent 3 nights at Pong Phen, we go down for our annual ex-service reunion at Hellfire Pass and Chunkai cemetery.

Food much improved, must have a better chef or supplier.

English big boys breakfast now good plus some of us had the lamb, mashed spud & real groovy!.

Its our annual farang food fix.

The guy who drives the PP mini van is a good bloke, we did a days golf too ( Evergreen - top course) and on the journey back called in for a few tinnies out in the bondu!!.

X

Can anyone recommend a reasonable hotel about 1,500 baht a night in Central Kanchanaburi with free WiFi?

For this week!

Thanks

BB

Xanadu resort 2008 is highly recomended10 km from the city in a beautiful quiet location.No disco boats allowed on river.Excellent service by thai\english couple Nees food is to die for-western and thai.Perfect for couples and fami,ies.Has large swimming pool.

• 2 months later...

Hi,

We will be travelling up to Kanchanaburi on Weds 2nd Feb and have no idea about the area really. Got some good info from this thread, will probably try to book at the Xanadu 2008.

The problem I have is that my mother who is here on holiday has some mobility issues due to arthritis in her knees. She uses a stick to walk but rough ground/ long distances would be impossible.

I would like to see the bridge, museums etc, and also Erawan falls, is it a long trek to the falls from the carpark? Any other attractions you would recommend we don't visit?

Many thanks.

The problem I have is that my mother who is here on holiday has some mobility issues due to arthritis in her knees. She uses a stick to walk but rough ground/ long distances would be impossible.

I would like to see the bridge, museums etc, and also Erawan falls, is it a long trek to the falls from the carpark? Any other attractions you would recommend we don't visit?

Many thanks.

Hi QED,

Erawan Falls too far to walk and since it has not really rained since end of October last year very little water (I think)

Tiger Temple too far to walk..................................................etc..............

Win in Kan cool.gif