Random Thoughts & Observations...

baht&sold

Boring sunday evening so thought we could share a few thoughts/observations.

Went down soi 8 tonight and noticed the Beer garden where we had a previous TV meet is freshly bulldozed... :D Looks like a new condo- who's buying all these new condos anyways? (better yet, who's financing them?:D

At the Marriot deli (soi 2) found out everything's 1/2 price after 6 pm and loaded up- shhh, don't tell anyone :D

Note the South africans beat the All blacks... :D

Apparently hockey is back on in Canada (they went on strike for a year but no one really noticed) :D

Wandered thru little Arabia, soi 3/1? Not a smiling face anywhere, just a bunch of guys growling at each other as always (or maybe that's just conversation?) :D Put me off sampling the fantastic food on offer actually.

Finally had a good dinner at Stable lodge, soi 8 - 'danish' meatballs, with the best potato salad to be had in bkk, plus egg/shrimps/fennel/mayo on rye. With water, all just over 200 baht :D

The partier's on the street outside my condo are hard at it for a second night, how do they do it?? Counted 6 bottles, 8 ppl plus 1 dog, 2 drums and a guitar. Steered well clear with a polite begging off despite their invitation;)

Didn't notice any 'violence' anywhere (sorry to disappoint;) :o

Well, that's about it. What's on your mind, any thoughts/observations, other than I'm obviously bored :D

Open topic :D

I still find Sundays boring somehow, even though the shops open, unlike when i was a child. Then, Sundays where really boring. I've done sweet "F A" today except chill out, watch England beat the Aussies, only just though, nerve racking stuff at the end :D Chelsea have just beaten Arsenal in the Charity Shield. And now i better go and iron my work shirts for the week and then i'm gonna pop down to the local and meet the guys for a pint or 6 of Boddington's Bitter, i really miss that stuff when in LOS. Although the Kilkenny is quite a nice substitute when in Patters (250 Baht a pint though) :o

Mr BoJ

It's sunday morning, I'm heading down to the yacht club for breakfast (that statement would be much more impressive if I actually had a boat), then a 50km ride along shore, pick up some groceries, then back here for some rehydration, then a couple of cold ones.

Tempted to go fishing but its too warm out today.

cv

then i'm gonna pop down to the local and meet the guys for a pint or 6 of Boddington's Bitter, i really miss that stuff when in LOS. Although the Kilkenny is quite a nice substitute when in Patters (250 Baht a pint though)  :D

Mr BoJ

250 baht a pint? That's perspective :D

It' Sunday.... and I'm at work.... bored...

I quite liked the beer garden on Soi 8, can't believe it's been bulldozed...  :D If this keeps happening all the character will be lost...

totster  :D

I recall you were one of the orginators of that meet Tots. Sad to see the ol' place go too :D

Just had another thought while watching Little Britain on Star world just now- what's up with all this cross dressing on UK TV shows??? :D Having said that, the "girl" who's also featured in a member's avatar is hilarious :D Come to think of it, Dave was at the Soi 8 meet as well if I recall??? Also Scampy, Honeyen, Sego, Insight and??? Alzheimers...

Last thought, passed by the kitchen counter at foodland soi 5 tonight and noticed it was standing room only as always. Same at Pattaya foodland everytime I'm there. Never eaten at either tho- what's the attraction all about I wonder? :D

Edit/my pet peeve just appeared- someone looking to rent a biz on Koh Chang placed an ad with ALL CAPS!! Now I have to open adobe indesign cs and copy/paste then change caps.... why you I oughtaaa... :D The only thing more annoying is offering something for sale without stating a price. Better stop there. :o

Edited by baht&sold

Having said that, the "girl" who's also featured in a member's avatar is hilarious  :D Come to think of it, Dave was at the Soi 8 meet as well if I recall??? Also Scampy, Honeyen, Sego, Insight and??? Alzheimers...

The "girl" is called Vicky Pollard.... and many like her can be found in the UK... that's why it is soooo funny... :D:D

... Elsie, S****l, B*****t, Toastwars... there was another... I'm gonna have to have a think about it... :o

totster :D

It's sunday morning, I'm heading down to the yacht club for breakfast (that statement would be much more impressive if I actually had a boat), then a 50km ride along shore, pick up some groceries, then back here for some rehydration, then a couple of cold ones.

Tempted to go fishing but its too warm out today.

cv

Cdnvic, I take it you're back visiting in BC? I'm jealous actually, nothing like "beautiful British Columbia" in the summer (it's on every license plate;). My Dad skyped yesterday and he and his lovely Indonesian wife of 12 years are off to Campbell River with boat & camper in tow for a week...(sigh, wish I was there). They just go from strength to strength, fantastic :D

The "girl" is called Vicky Pollard.... and many like her can be found in the UK... that's why it is soooo funny...  :o  :D

I gathered that :D - the Brit gals I've met in SE Asia haven't been like that at all tho. Quite the opposite in fact. I s'pose travellers are a different breed the world over :D

Anyone else on holiday or sabbatical overseas "back home" (wherever you may be) and how's summer treating you?

Sunday :o

Men can live without air for a few minutes, without water for a few days, without food for about two months, and without new thoughts for years on end. No one is listening until you make a mistake.

Sometimes you're the bird, and sometimes you're the windshield and there are three ways to get things done: do it yourself, hire someone to do it, or forbid your kids to do it. :D

Retirement Policy #1

To: All personnel

Subj: New Retirement Plan

As part of our corporate-wide cost reduction efforts, we are going to reduce our number of personnel by means of a new retirement plan. Managers are being mailed a package containing all of the details; the highlights are presented here.

Under the Plan, older employees will go on Early Retirement, thus permitting us to retain the younger people who represent our future.

The program, which will be placed into effect immediately, will phase out all the older personnel by the end of the current fiscal year. The program shall be known as RAPE (Retire Aged Personnel Early)

Employees who are being RAPEd will be given the opportunity to seek other jobs within the company, provided that while they are being RAPEd, they request a review of their employment records before actual retirement takes place.

This phase of the Plan is called SCREW (Survey of Capabilities of Retired Early Workers).

All employees who are being RAPEd and SCREWed are eligible for a trial review by higher management. This will be called SHAFT (Study by Higher Authority Following Termination.)

The provisions of the Plan dictate that employees may be RAPEd once and SCREWed twice, but may get the SHAFT as many times as the company deems appropriate.

Employees fulfilling the above requirements of the Plan are entitled to get HERPES (Half Earnings of Retired Persons Employment Service).

HERPES is considered a bonus plan, since employees who have HERPES will no longer be RAPEd or SCREWed by the company.

It is now, and always has been, the policy of the company to assure that employees are well-trained. To accomplish this, a new program called SHIT (Special High Intensity Training) will be put into effect. With this program, we will now be able to give our employees more SHIT than any other company.

If an employee feels that he or she is not getting enough SHIT on the job, or that he or she could advance to another position by taking more SHIT, please see your manager.

Our management people are specially trained to see to it that you will get all the SHIT you can stand.

:D

The MERMAIDS REST is now called the Stable lodge.

We stay there every year good food and nice people. :o

You're talking about one of the other units. True, what's now called Stable Lodge was once part of what was the Mermaid's Rest complex of 2 or 3 locations along Soi 8.

Back towards Suk, on the opposite side of of Soi 8 from Stable Lodge (fairly close to the barber shop) was also part of Mermaid's Rest, equipped with a Mermaid statue, swimming pool, bar, and all-you-can-eat BBQ. Nice and shady. I understand long ago the old house belonged to a doctor (I think). There was the main house, and other units were added later next to the pool and above the bar. I spent a lot of time there in the late-80s to very early-90s. I was in with the last group of people just before it closed. It remained closed for at least a year, maybe 2, then was reopened as an outdoor Beer Bar.

.. Went down soi 8 tonight and noticed the Beer garden where we had a previous TV meet is freshly bulldozed... :D  Looks like a new condo- who's buying all these new condos anyways? (better yet, who's financing them?:D
Also I heard the Busstop Beergarden (Soi 4) is going to be razed soon, (new highrise hotel going in), this has been rumored for years, we'll see :o

Having said that, the "girl" who's also featured in a member's avatar is hilarious  :D Come to think of it, Dave was at the Soi 8 meet as well if I recall??? Also Scampy, Honeyen, Sego, Insight and??? Alzheimers...

The "girl" is called Vicky Pollard.... and many like her can be found in the UK... that's why it is soooo funny... :D:D

... Elsie, S****l, B*****t, Toastwars... there was another... I'm gonna have to have a think about it... :o

.... Candyflip and Blake7..

Cdnvic, I take it you're back visiting in BC? I'm jealous actually, nothing like "beautiful British Columbia" in the summer (it's on every license plate;). My Dad skyped yesterday and he and his lovely Indonesian wife of 12 years are off to Campbell River with boat & camper in tow for a week...(sigh, wish I was there). They just go from strength to strength, fantastic :o

I spend most of my days here lately, following the money trail. I want to get set up where we spend summer here and winter in Thailand. For that to happen I need to earn enough $$$ to get things happening over there. I don't want to be one of those people who show up in Thailand with almost nothing, then run around trying to beg a job from somewhere, and wind up slinking home when it all goes bad.

A few months ago someone suggested I must be frustrated being "stuck" here. Someone who's obviously never been here. :D Truly paradise in the summer, and amazing fishing in the winter.

cv

Cdnvic, I take it you're back visiting in BC? I'm jealous actually, nothing like "beautiful British Columbia" in the summer

A few months ago someone suggested I must be frustrated being "stuck" here. Someone who's obviously never been here. :D Truly paradise in the summer, and amazing fishing in the winter.

cv

Glad to hear it as the wife and I are off to Vancouver tomorrow for a mini-vacation. Hope the weather is good. :o

Boring sunday evening so thought we could share a few thoughts/observations.

Went down soi 8 tonight and noticed the Beer garden where we had a previous TV meet is freshly bulldozed... :D  Looks like a new condo- who's buying all these new condos anyways? (better yet, who's financing them?:D

At the Marriot deli (soi 2) found out everything's 1/2 price after 6 pm and loaded up- shhh, don't tell anyone  :D

Note the South africans beat the All blacks... :D

Apparently hockey is back on in Canada (they went on strike for a year but no one really noticed)  :D

Wandered thru little Arabia, soi 3/1? Not a smiling face anywhere, just a bunch of guys growling at each other as always (or maybe that's just conversation?) :D  Put me off sampling the fantastic food on offer actually.

Finally had a good dinner at Stable lodge, soi 8 - 'danish' meatballs, with the best potato salad to be had in bkk, plus egg/shrimps/fennel/mayo on rye. With water, all just over 200 baht :D

The partier's on the street outside my condo are hard at it for a second night, how do they do it?? Counted 6 bottles, 8 ppl plus 1 dog, 2 drums and a guitar. Steered well clear with a polite begging off despite their invitation;)

Didn't notice any 'violence' anywhere (sorry to disappoint;)  :o

Well, that's about it. What's on your mind, any thoughts/observations, other than I'm obviously bored  :D 

Open topic

Nice lazy Sunday post. Can we sort of bold this statement though...

Note the South africans beat the All blacks...

And the Aussies, I believe... don't have UBC :D

• Like 1

The MERMAIDS REST is now called the Stable lodge.

We stay there every year good food and nice people. :D

You're talking about one of the other units. True, what's now called Stable Lodge was once part of what was the Mermaid's Rest complex of 2 or 3 locations along Soi 8.

Back towards Suk, on the opposite side of of Soi 8 from Stable Lodge (fairly close to the barber shop) was also part of Mermaid's Rest, equipped with a Mermaid statue, swimming pool, bar, and all-you-can-eat BBQ. Nice and shady. I understand long ago the old house belonged to a doctor (I think). There was the main house, and other units were added later next to the pool and above the bar. I spent a lot of time there in the late-80s to very early-90s. I was in with the last group of people just before it closed. It remained closed for at least a year, maybe 2, then was reopened as an outdoor Beer Bar.

Thanks for that guys. I had no idea and always enjoy hearing about "old" Bkk haunts. :o

Cdnvic, I take it you're back visiting in BC? I'm jealous actually, nothing like "beautiful British Columbia" in the summer

cv

Glad to hear it as the wife and I are off to Vancouver tomorrow for a mini-vacation. Hope the weather is good. :D

Ahhh, Vancouver, 28 degrees, no rain in sight, summer = pure magic :D

Must look something like this:

75cc62dd61.jpg

Or this:

750767a1f6.jpg

Or:

7c9739428b.jpg

Sigh...

Ah well, so you see, in the summer, some of us actually feel "stuck" in LOS :D

Anyone else overseas for the summer? Give us an update and maybe a photo or two :D

A couple of years ago I was due to fly out to Vancouver with the England 'A' rugby team for the Churchill Cup (as part of the fatboy magament team, not as a player, you understand). We got kitted out with every form of fleece, wet weather gear, scarf etc. In the event, I went elsewhere, but the boys found it highly amusing that whoever had ordered the kit had neglected to find out that not only is Vancouver very warm at that time of year, but they were also in the middle of a heatwave.

They didn't give back the stash, though.......

And I still haven't made it to Canada (except the drive from Detroit to Niagara and back).

Last thought, passed by the kitchen counter at foodland soi 5 tonight and noticed it was standing room only as always. Same at Pattaya foodland everytime I'm there. Never eaten at either tho- what's the attraction all about I wonder?

The Foodland counter is ACd, inexpensive and a person can sit while they eat. They do alot of business so there is a good turn over of the foodstuffs. Fried rice w/ pork or chicken 40b, chicken w/ chile and basil 55b, club sandwich 78b, draft beer 50b. I believe I told my Foodland story some time ago, me and the russkie sharing a seat back in '99.

-a

Edited by aughie

Last thought, passed by the kitchen counter at foodland soi 5 tonight and noticed it was standing room only as always. Same at Pattaya foodland everytime I'm there. Never eaten at either tho- what's the attraction all about I wonder?

The Foodland counter is ACd, inexpensive and a person can sit while they eat.  They do alot of business so there is a good turn over of the foodstuffs.  Fried rice w/ pork or chicken 40b, chicken w/ chile and basil 55b, club sandwich 78b, draft beer 50b.  I believe I told my Foodland story some time ago, me and the russkie sharing a seat back in '99.

-a

Thx for that Aughie, maybe a good spot to grab something while on the run, might give it a try then.

A couple of years ago I was due to fly out to Vancouver with the England 'A' rugby team for the Churchill Cup (as part of the fatboy magament team, not as a player, you understand). We got kitted out with every form of fleece, wet weather gear, scarf etc. In the event, I went elsewhere, but the boys found it highly amusing that whoever had ordered the kit had neglected to find out that not only is Vancouver very warm at that time of year, but they were also in the middle of a heatwave.

They didn't give back the stash, though.......

And I still haven't made it to Canada (except the drive from Detroit to Niagara and back).

LOL! I thought only Californians had this impression??? Vancouverites have all heard this before:

"Dude, where's the igloos?" :o

Here's a shot of 2cnd beach right at the foot of downtown-

9e92844101.jpg

btw, nobody has answered this as yet:

"Just had another thought while watching Little Britain on Star world just now- what's up with all this cross dressing on UK TV shows???" :D

Ok, kids in the hall in canada is similar I s'pose but in the UK, cross dressing on television shows seems like a national obsession (like Thailand???) :o

Edited by baht&sold

probably dates back to shakespearean times, when men had to play all the lady characters in plays.

Even in the US nowadays, it seems every new sit come revolves around gay people or crossdressers... APparently it makes the minds of the mindless chuckle.

btw, nobody has answered this as yet:

"Just had another thought while watching Little Britain on Star world just now- what's up with all this cross dressing on UK TV shows???"  :D

Ok, kids in the hall in canada is similar I s'pose but in the UK, cross dressing on  television shows seems like a national obsession  (like Thailand???) :D

it's because all the actresses in the UK are crap.... the blokes have to step in.. :o

Victoria's def a gem (I'm an ex Colwood/Dunsmuir schoolboy btw;) Here's a pic of the grand ol' Empress hotel on the inner harbour. Note the Brit style double decker buses in the background- popular tourist transport in Vic. With Brit pubs everywhere, loads of fish n chip shops, tea rooms, etc, etc- it's a bit like 'new' Britain :o

post-7171-1123646561_thumb.jpg

it's a bit like 'new' Britain :D

Well as long as it's not like "little Britain"..! :o

Totster :D

LOL! Well, to quote our resident Little Britain expert by way of an answer:

"Yeh but no but yeah but, Don't give me evils!!!" :D

Vic's same same but different- eg; fewer "Vicky Pollard's"and lager louts, no soccer yobs and she's spanking clean :D