Sportivo Iii Worth It?

vspin134

i ordered Sportivo III 2 weeks in Bangkok and the sale lady called me up and she said the vehicle will be ready by if not 3rd week this month or by end of this month...I start to have second thought. Sportivo III is nice but at 1.439M and is almost 400K more than their basic 2.5 VN version (man trans) 400K people for aero kid, trd suspension etc, leather, 4wd, gps....almost half a millions more on those. 2.5VN RWD is fine vehicle at it price but man trans put me off. Any though? I have to decide in a few days to cancel or go ahead with it...

Only worth it if you are an impressionable status-conscious pr@tt who likes to see younger Thais drooling over your model - only the blokes unfortunately.

Oh hang on - I've got a Sportivo too!

[so maybe you'll get it back on resale - I wasn't joking about Thais' capacity to spot the so-called higher end model. The fatter tyres are aesthetically more pleasing to my mind. Can't think of anything more!]

get a Vigo 3,0 auto 4x4 4door G at 970k including leather, VSC, cruise, you name it and save more :)

woldnt consider any pickup or suv with manual gear above 700k, actually would buy secondhand auto over new manual if budget was 700k

says the guy whos done millions of km in manual gear vehicles :rolleyes:

get a Vigo 3,0 auto 4x4 4door G at 970k including leather, VSC, cruise, you name it and save more :)

woldnt consider any pickup or suv with manual gear above 700k, actually would buy secondhand auto over new manual if budget was 700k

+1, :)

and the funny thing of Vigo being cheaper, is the lack of excice tax on pickups, while a Fortuner Sportivo pays +200k baht in excice tax

about to trade in my 2007 Nissan Navara crew cab LE 4x4 for this new Sportivo III. Been driven my Navara a little over 100k...been great truck but now with 18months baby one seat always child seat in it...and look for softer ride for frequent bkk-cm trips. Been giving second thought about how over price this Sportivo can be compared to based model or even Pajero Sp...

It looks great in white, but as already said I am a self-confessed pr@tt, so I'm happy that people see me coming. Buy a pick-up truck instead? And have half the family bounce around on the floor in the back (I can get 4 or 5 kids on the back row of my Fortuner)? Ple..eze - life's too short

:lol:

For God's sake don't base a decision on anything I might say!

bright white is in now but how long will it last in LOS?? Had a bright white toyota excier in late 90s...people passed by and asked "why white" i said i like it and is very popular in US...they say "really...i prefer silver" !! and now 10 years later...every freaking cars got white...and some you need to pay extra for it.

+1, :)

and the funny thing of Vigo being cheaper, is the lack of excice tax on pickups, while a Fortuner Sportivo pays +200k baht in excice tax

It's called taxing the rich.

Been giving second thought about how over price this Sportivo can be compared to based model or even Pajero Sp...

Most people come to the same dilemma - spend less for the 2WD Pajero Sport GT and get a great deal with good features, or spend 300+K more and go to one of the top Fortuner models (Aperto/Sportivo). In-between it's very difficult to make a confident decision that won't have you second guessing yourself..

Or, supporting the poor.. I wouldn't consider the 20% tax on PPV's to be too heavy at all. But 30%-50% tax because a car seats less than 7 and/or has a mid-sized engine, or more then (a paltry) 220HP is a bit ridiculous though.

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

Been giving second thought about how over price this Sportivo can be compared to based model or even Pajero Sp...

Most people come to the same dilemma - spend less for the 2WD Pajero Sport GT and get a great deal with good features, or spend 300+K more and go to one of the top Fortuner models (Aperto/Sportivo). In-between it's very difficult to make a confident decision that won't have you second guessing yourself..

Or, supporting the poor.. I wouldn't consider the 20% tax on PPV's to be too heavy at all. But 30%-50% tax because a car seats less than 7 and/or has a mid-sized engine, or more then (a paltry) 220HP is a bit ridiculous though.

It took me about 3 months to consider to buy between a fortuner and a pajero sport.

it's really hard to make up my mind. the resale value of the PJS maybe lower. but when we look at the loss at resale, 5 years down the road, both will lose around 40% of the buying price. it's not much a diff.

the only thing that kept me thinking was the aftersales service. mitsu can't compare itself with Toyota, Toyota has got hundreds of service centers, guess mitsu is limited to around a hundred. t

hat is the main reason I cancel the captiva in the first pplace. chev's Thailand ain't really into aftersales service, there ain't much service center left anyway.

the only reason I bought the PJS was that the fortuner was already a 5 year model, we know that there won't be a model change by 2014, but it's been 5 years since the car was launched in Thailand. most jap cars won't last for more than 5years.

bright white is in now but how long will it last in LOS?? Had a bright white toyota excier in late 90s...people passed by and asked "why white" i said i like it and is very popular in US...they say "really...i prefer silver" !! and now 10 years later...every freaking cars got white...and some you need to pay extra for it.

Quality of the paint has changed enormously though. I didn't like white cars of the 80s and 90s, but the white we have today has a much deeper richer finish, like as with the Pearl White finish.

Go for any Fortuner, they are a truly great motor for Thailand, resale value is great and they are easy to sell, who wants to buy a second hand Pajero Sport ?

Fortuner you can sell all day long without dropping your asking price. I know, I've bought 5 Fortuners from Farangs leaving Thailand and have sold them on within days, not weeks or months, only days, in some cases only hours.

My own Fortuner is nearly 5 years old, what can I say about a motor that has been absolutely fantastic, I can say that the best motor to have in Thailand is a Fortuner, it's the best motor I've ever had.

It's fast, it's roomy, it will go anywhere, you can take it on the farm, I do, you can go through all types of mud and water, I do, then you can clean her off and arrive at a 5 Star hotel and not feel out of place.

When I say its fast, I don't mean its an M5 performance, but for what it is, its plenty powerful enough.

Forget the Pajero Sport and stick with Fortuner, you know it makes sense. biggrin.gif

Go for any Fortuner, they are a truly great motor for Thailand, resale value is great and they are easy to sell, who wants to buy a second hand Pajero Sport ?

Fortuner you can sell all day long without dropping your asking price. I know, I've bought 5 Fortuners from Farangs leaving Thailand and have sold them on within days, not weeks or months, only days, in some cases only hours.

My own Fortuner is nearly 5 years old, what can I say about a motor that has been absolutely fantastic, I can say that the best motor to have in Thailand is a Fortuner, it's the best motor I've ever had.

It's fast, it's roomy, it will go anywhere, you can take it on the farm, I do, you can go through all types of mud and water, I do, then you can clean her off and arrive at a 5 Star hotel and not feel out of place.

When I say its fast, I don't mean its an M5 performance, but for what it is, its plenty powerful enough.

Forget the Pajero Sport and stick with Fortuner, you know it makes sense. biggrin.gif

I appreciate you're working from personal experience (and thanks for sharing), but there's no problems moving used Pajero Sport's as you suggest - so long as they're the 2WD GT model, which is the sought after one both new and used. The 3.2L PJS is about as hard to move as a 2.7L gasoline Fortuner.

As for the Fortuner being the"best car" you've ever owned, I'm sure you must be talking within the context of Thailand, the people here, their expectations, and the places you need to drive.. hehehe ;)

Edited by MoonRiverOasis

you are right about the white paint these days are much better and look richer than back in the 80's or 90's. White Pearl is sometimes called white mica or so metallic white but for your Information, the white on Sportivo III is NOT flashy white pearl...Fortuner is in high demand both new and used but i am feeling they are charging much higher than competitors like Pajero or even Everest for simply they are Toyota.

you are right about the white paint these days are much better and look richer than back in the 80's or 90's. White Pearl is sometimes called white mica or so metallic white but for your Information, the white on Sportivo III is NOT flashy white pearl...Fortuner is in high demand both new and used but i am feeling they are charging much higher than competitors like Pajero or even Everest for simply they are Toyota.

Actually i think it's not just the quality of the paint that makes white cars look better than they once did, but the improvement in the aesthetics of colour-coded body trim and bumpers that has made a difference.

Ford Everest, you should at least test drive one. I'm a happy owner.

New model looks good, but am i right in saying that the interior still dates it?

I own a Everest also and love it....not sure about the dated interior part but I am sure it has better inside room than most plus unlike the Fortuna you will not stop at a red light with 15 other vehicles that are the same color and model! ha ha

I feel everest is much of truck like but the new face lift front end look to feminine to me unlike ford explorer or expedition or even new escape in the US that look as tough as they say what Ford is. Sportivo iii is nothing new but just cheap Prado or lexus for the poor. I am not saying anything but if we are gonna pay something over 1mil we gonna make sure it is worthwhile including image...bcas for Thailand it is a shame that this is what Thailand is about.