Massive Film Studio Being Built In San Khampaeng?

Andreas84

I heard from a man whom I came across in CM that there will be built a major film studio - I believe in the San Khampaeng area - and if I remember correctly it would be almost like the "asian" hollywood, the way this man described it. He claimed that it would be ready in a few years, and that the prices in Chiang Mai will double or triple as a result of this, as it would attract a lot of people. I looked it briefly up on the net, and it looks like there is indeed going to be some studio built, but I have a feeling that this man was perhaps exaggerating things a bit or perhaps a lot. I never met anyone else who talked about it. I have not kept up with this forum all the time, but I cannot remember it being discussed here either.

So, has anyone heard about this film studio? Is it a real thing? and to what extent do you think it will have a major impact on Chiang Mai?

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I first heard this rumour about 10 years ago.... When are they going to start doing something...:blink:

It sounds to me like someone's dream, trying to make it a reality with Promotion... :intheclub:

Edited by LJW

:partytime2: ?

Don't hold your breath.

"The planned CNX Movie World Studios complex is to be built as a regional film production centre in Chiang Mai.

A US film production firm, Creative Kingdom, recently confirmed plans for Chiang Mai Wood. The complex has a budget of US $860 million and will be constructed on a 200 rai plot of land in Chiang Mai’s San Kamphaeng District.

Eduardo Robles, Creative Kingdom’s chief executive officer, told the Nation that he believed Thailand could host a complex of this size. He added that internal political insecurity and the worldwide financial crisis would not have an effect on the project.

Mr Robles also said that if Creative Kingdom went to China with the project it would be considerably more expensive.

Chiang Mai Wood has created interest in the movie making industry and has attracted investment from places such as South Africa and the Middle East.

Film and game companies such as Living Films, Dabok and Mindark have already made enquiries about setting up facilities at Chiang Mai Wood.

Building of the initial part of the centre, the White House Studio Complex is slated to start later in the year. This complex will contain art studios, sound stages and film editing facilities.

The scheduled completion date for the White House is 2012. The complete Chiang Mai Wood compound should be up and running within seven years.

When it is finished, Chiang Mai Wood will also contain full production studios, housing, a theme park, a hotel, a convention hall and an amusement facility. The finished project will create 4,000 jobs, with a mix of Thai and foreign employees."

Edited by Thailand

looking at the vid clip as noted, I think this is being promoted by ConJo Enterprises.

That would be short for con job.

How many Rai di someone state in an earlier post ????

As depicted in the video, it would probably stretch half way to Chiang Rai.

I like progress, but something like this would destroy the Chiang Mai we all have fallen in love with.....

just my opinion

Well I did notice the Night Safari is being advertised again (billboards etc) so a movie studio may fit in nicely. Maybe a sequence of Tarzan movies and throw in a Jane once in a while. What happened to the new mall that was to be built out that way?

Now that I am wondering about things, Why do we have rabbits in the moat? These are not pink elephants but a red rabbit, and no it is not a self induced vision, it is really there, (near the SE corner).

Well I did notice the Night Safari is being advertised again (billboards etc) so a movie studio may fit in nicely. Maybe a sequence of Tarzan movies and throw in a Jane once in a while. What happened to the new mall that was to be built out that way?

Now that I am wondering about things, Why do we have rabbits in the moat? These are not pink elephants but a red rabbit, and no it is not a self induced vision, it is really there, (near the SE corner).

As for the movie studio I thank its being promoted by the same group that is promoting the new mall on the east side of Big C on the Super Highway.:whistling: As for the pink rabbit I asked the wife and she says lucky color.:D

200 Rai is way too small for the development touted in the video which, by the way, was being shown at the VFW July 4th do this year. They're talking studios, theme park, convention facilities (as if there weren't enough already), lakes, a major housing development and a golf course. It may be that 80 acres (200 rai) is the first phase but I don't see any chance cramming all that stuff (and parking for all the visitors) onto such a tiny area. It'll be interesting to see how this plays - I can see a bunch of well heeled BKK folk buying into the housing on spec but, as others have found to their cost, empty houses and undeveloped plots do not a moo ban make (check out Chaing Mai Country Garden in San Kampaeng for but one example).

Nevertheless, let's wish it well since it'll be good for the economy if it works out as planned.

How many Rambut 4 movies can one make in Thailand/:whistling:

My answer is " 1 " , as the next one would be Rambut 5 >>>>>>

Is it right ! ! Is that right ! ! ?? .. Do I win a prize ???? do I , do I Huh, huh

:D

Winner of a Smart Prize - that's for sure !

200 Rai is way too small for the development touted in the video which, by the way, was being shown at the VFW July 4th do this year. They're talking studios, theme park, convention facilities (as if there weren't enough already), lakes, a major housing development and a golf course. It may be that 80 acres (200 rai) is the first phase but I don't see any chance cramming all that stuff (and parking for all the visitors) onto such a tiny area. It'll be interesting to see how this plays - I can see a bunch of well heeled BKK folk buying into the housing on spec but, as others have found to their cost, empty houses and undeveloped plots do not a moo ban make (check out Chaing Mai Country Garden in San Kampaeng for but one example).

Nevertheless, let's wish it well since it'll be good for the economy if it works out as planned.

Parasailing!

looking at the vid clip as noted, I think this is being promoted by ConJo Enterprises.

That would be short for con job.

How many Rai di someone state in an earlier post ????

As depicted in the video, it would probably stretch half way to Chiang Rai.

I like progress, but something like this would destroy the Chiang Mai we all have fallen in love with.....

just my opinion

Same feelings ...

How many Rambut 4 movies can one make in Thailand/:whistling:

My answer is " 1 " , as the next one would be Rambut 5 >>>>>>

Is it right ! ! Is that right ! ! ?? .. Do I win a prize ???? do I , do I Huh, huh

:D

..it' a wonder you've got time for idle chit-chat, what with Thanks Giving Day coming up and all..get back in that kitchen and stuff them turkeys boy!

Google Chiang Mai Wood and u come up with http://www.chiangmaiwood.com/ interesting as it does not want to play.:whistling:

Have a look here for their "dreams" - http://www.gowealthy.com/cnx/

Wish them will if they can pull this off but with most grand planes that have been announced about the future of Chiang Mai they have and do leave a jaded attitude towards a certain lot of people.

As some other people have expressed, I am afraid as well that a project like this could destroy the Chiang Mai I love. And I generally do not see what good theme parks has done for this world. For sure, I believe a project like this could provide more opportunities for people to be distracted and wasting their money, but I think the world does not need more of that.. Could of course also be that they make some good movies, but it is easy for me to assume that the majority of the movies would advocate values which go against the evolution of mankind. :-) I mean, by encouraging and supporting a mindless following of consumerist mentality, not questioning established views etc. But I might be wrong, it might not be so black&white.

Edited by Andreas84

Let's celebrate it when it opens it's doors. Let's forget about it until then. Grand plans are a dime a dozen but what I have learnt being here is that developments can happen very quickly. Or never. It's a dynamic place, Thailand.

As for "destroying" Chiang Mai - oh please! If it weren't for the "destroyers" of things we'd still be sitting in caves.

.. snip ... advocate values which go against the evolution of mankind. :-) ... snip ...

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Andreas84,

Well, we know you mean this in the sense of "evolution" meaning "progress", even progress. perhaps. of what, in your values or philosophy, is "spiritual," "most meaningful," or "best," but we can't help noting that it reminds us of a certain rare group of people who, in large cities, are adopting what they believe is a "paleolithic" lifestyle: Go Paleo in the Big Apple : all of the raw meat and you get to keep your iPhone :)

Sawasdee Khrup, Khun Nikster,

We cannot help but feel that many farangs in Chiang Mai are already living in caves, and, although many of them do stain the walls, via cooking accidents, or inebriated spew, or in food fights which are part of rituals involving the culturally normative poison, alcohol, none has achieved what the painters in the caves of Lascaux did over 15,000 years ago. For a remarkable speculative essay on possible other dimensions (astronomical, ritual, religious) of these cave paintings: Lascaux Paintings Astronmical Ritual ? ... and don't miss ... A Visit to Lascaux with sound, and wonderful slow-motion zoom-in-out views of major paintings.

Here, in our cave, there are so many ghosts that the imagery on the walls changes, often moment-by-moment.

best, ~o:37;

• 1 year later...

OK Now it's 2012,almost June. I thought this project had been shelved/ abandoned, but I heard yesterday from someone who might just know, that it is up and running again. This might account for the frantic buying up of all the rice paddy either side of the 1317. I live on the 1317, see the Lampang hills and it is quiet. I can't find any evidence of construction locally and I can't find any map reference or GPS coordinates to tell me where this might happen.

Does anyone have up to date information?