Myanmar Democracy Icon Suu Kyi Released

webfact

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hope its a step forward to Democracy in Myanmar. When the country sooner or later opens Thailand will loose a lot of money in form of Tourism!

I will be one of the first who is moving up north then....HOPEFULLY SOOOOOOON ....the last Farang here can switch the lights off :jap:

Second that point, if they do open up they will by pass Thailand for sure, as there are still semblances of the British civil service structure and way of doing things, and they could easily develop as well as Malaysia. Remember that Burma was a rich country until Na Win took over and screwed up the economy. Might make people here buck up their ideas, I am sure there will be some circles here who will not really want to see Burma make progress and become an economic rival for Thailand.

Great news ... and I wish her a safe future.

I am concerned however that the evil government may have a well plotted out plan to end her time on this earth. Now if she were to be killed by a robbers bullet or staged accident the government can claim that they had nothing to do with it. Also the undercover police were out taking pictures of the supporters that suggest to me that some ugly times are ahead for these people.

Not leaving me with a good feeling! :ph34r:

I was in Yangon this summer and had a few opportunity to drive by her house.

I really wish I was in BKK right now. I would fly over and give my support.

You were lucky to drive by her house and sorry you could not make this trip. I am watching what is going on in Yangon?..I never think she will be Free. By the way, I do not trust this Government. Last time the America gave food and money. The Burmese government did not give any credit to the American but, covered the boxes of food with the name of her leader, so her people thought they were from their own. ( Shocked me ) My take and opinion.

Edited by ryladie99

Fantastic news.I think this is a moment to pay tribute to the Thai leaders (from Thaksin to Abhisit) who have laboured so hard to secure her release and democratic rights for the oppressed people of Burma.Thailand politicians and the Thai army (instead of tying up business deals with the Burmese junta) should be congratulated for their persistent and unflagging efforts.It's also a moment to pay tribute to the moral courage of ASEAN who have never felt bound by the asinine policy of non interference in the internal matters of other members.How we remember with pride the interventions by Thailand when the Burmese generals stole the election and continued through murder and repression to cow the Burmese population.

If only...

nothing to do with thailand weirdo, have you just been born or something?

Busy, I think you missed the irony in jayboys post.

The Lady’s 15 years under house arrest

med_gallery_327_1086_14948.jpg

Following is a summary of her time in detention:

1989-1995: The junta places Suu Kyi under house arrest in July 1989, 10 months after she helped form the National League for Democracy (NLD) in the wake of national pro-democracy protests crushed by the military government.

Despite her confinement, the NLD scores a landslide victory in 1990 elections, but the junta does not recognise the result.

One year later, she is awarded the Nobel Peace Prize, accepted by her sons on her behalf. She is released in July 1995, after six years of being confined to her home in Yangon.

2000-2002: Suu Kyi is again placed under house arrest in September 2000, after several face-offs with the regime, including attempts to leave Rangoon on party business in defiance of the junta’s orders.

Landmark secret talks on “national reconciliation” begin in October 2000, brokered by UN envoy Razali Ismail.

Since May 30, 2003: Suu Kyi, travelling in a convoy with NLD members in northern Burma, is attacked in an ambush apparently organised by a regime frightened by her continued popularity.

The junta says four people are killed in the attack but the NLD puts the toll at nearly 100. Suu Kyi is arrested along with many party activists.

In September, she is moved back to her Rangoon home and placed under house arrest for a third time.

May 2009: Shortly before her expected release, Suu Kyi is put on trial over a bizarre incident in which an American man swims uninvited to her lakeside home. She is sentenced to another 18 months of house arrest.

Suu Kyi writes to junta chief Than Shwe offering suggestions on getting sanctions lifted, marking an easing of her stance after years of advocating punitive measures against the ruling generals.

Her party boycotts the country’s first poll in 20 years, held on November 7, saying the rules are unfair. The NLD is disbanded by the authorities.

November 12, 2010: Suu Kyi is freed from detention.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-14

Thailand welcomes Suu Kyi release

BANGKOK, November 14, 2010 (AFP) - Thailand welcomed the release of Myanmar's pro-democracy leader Aung San Suu Kyi from years of house arrest, saying it was "an important step" on the country's road to democracy.

"Her release marks another important step in the national reconciliation and democratisation process in Myanmar," the Thai foreign ministry said in a statement posted on its website late Saturday.

Thailand, a major trading partner of the military-ruled country, "hopes that Daw Aung San Suu Kyi will have a constructive role to play in Myanmar's nation-building process," it added. Daw is a term of respect.

Myanmar's Southeast Asian neighbours have welcomed Myanmar's first election in 20 years as a move towards democracy, in contrast to Western governments, which denounced the poll as anything but free and fair.

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-11-14

Great news ... and I wish her a safe future.

I am concerned however that the evil government may have a well plotted out plan to end her time on this earth. Now if she were to be killed by a robbers bullet or staged accident the government can claim that they had nothing to do with it. Also the undercover police were out taking pictures of the supporters that suggest to me that some ugly times are ahead for these people.

Not leaving me with a good feeling! :ph34r:

I do not trust the Junta but, rest assure ASSK is too well known. The Junta has to pause at this moment, she is on the eye of the World and every one is paying attention. The Junta dictator was over the conflict with 200 tribes along Thai borders, so, he will take a short break and let alone our leader. However, the game must go on and to tell you the truth I have no idea until I check with the State Department... my take.

Suu Kyi's 22 years in political spotlight - Chrono

YANGON, November 13, 2010 (AFP) - Aung San Suu Kyi, the Myanmar opposition leader who was released Sunday after seven years of house arrest, was a political newcomer when she took up the struggle for democracy in 1988.

Following are the major events in the history of her role in Myanmar's politics since a military crackdown in 1988 and the formation of her National League for Democracy (NLD) party that followed.

1988:

-- August: Thousands of people are believed killed after troops open fire on mass protests. Suu Kyi, daughter of independence hero Aung San, delivers a speech at Yangon's Shwedagon Pagoda to a crowd of 500,000

-- September: Military takes charge with the creation of the State Law and Order Restoration Council

-- Suu Kyi's National League for Democracy (NLD) is formed

1989:

-- July: Suu Kyi is placed under house arrest

1990:

-- May: Her NLD wins 392 out of 485 seats in parliamentary elections but the junta refuses to recognise the results

1991:

-- October: Suu Kyi wins Nobel Peace Prize

1994:

-- September/October: Talks with junta number one and three, Senior General Than Shwe and Lieutenant General Khin Nyunt

1995:

-- July: Released after six years under house arrest

1996:

-- May: Some 10,000 supporters of Suu Kyi march in Yangon in the biggest demonstration since 1990, which the junta declares illegal

1999:

-- March: Her husband Michael Aris, a British academic, dies from cancer having not seen his wife in four years

2000:

-- August: Suu Kyi defies order confining her to Yangon. Again placed under house arrest the following month after attempting to travel to Mandalay

2002:

-- May: Released after 19 months under house arrest

2003:

-- May: Arrested in the country's north after a violent clash between her supporters and a pro-junta group

-- September: Moved to her Yangon home and placed under house arrest for a third time

2007:

-- September: Suu Kyi prays with Buddhist monks allowed to walk past her home during mass protests against escalating fuel costs, in her first public appearance since 2003

2008:

-- May: Her detention is extended again three days after a referendum is held to confirm a new constitution that paves the way for an election in 2010

-- August/September: Refuses food and placed on intravenous drip

-- October: Appeals through her lawyers against her detention

2009:

-- May: Appeal against detention is rejected

-- Shortly before her expected release, Suu Kyi is put on trial over a bizarre incident in which an American man swims uninvited to her lakeside home. She is sentenced to another 18 months of house arrest.

-- November: Appeals detention at Supreme Court

2010:

-- February: Supreme Court rejects appeal

-- March: Suu Kyi says she opposes contesting the first election in 20 years because the rules are unfair. Her party announces it will boycott the vote and is disbanded

-- May: Lodges last-ditch appeal with Supreme Court against detention

-- November: Suu Kyi remains in detention at her lakeside mansion on election day. Her final appeal is rejected but hopes for her release remain when her current sentence is completed

-- Supporters gather as officials say her release is imminent

- November 13: Suu Kyi walks free, appearing outside her crumbling lakeside home and calling on a sea of jubilant supporters to "work together in unison."

afplogo.jpg

-- (c) Copyright AFP 2010-11-13

Thank you so much for the information...wow??

Sorry to be picky, but I thin you'll find we say "Rangoon", not "Yangon"

Suu Kyi released — finally

Sat Nov 13 12:15:40 2010 by IANS

Yangon, Nov 13 (IANS) Myanmar’s pro-democracy leader and Nobel laureate Aung San Suu Kyi was Saturday released from house arrest to the cheers of thousands of supporters, media reports said.

The India-educated Suu Kyi’s detention expired Saturday, and the military junta Friday signed orders authorising her release.

Suu Kyi, 65, is the daughter of Myanmar’s independence hero, General Aung San.

Xinhua reported that Suu Kyi, leader of the dissolved National League for Democracy (NLD), was freed after 18 months of confinement at her residence in Yangon.

Barricades placed in front of her lakeside residence had been removed, it said. Hundreds of people along with journalists had been gathering day and night in anticipation of her release since Friday.

The charismatic opposition leader has been detained for 15 of the past 21 years.

-- IANS 2010-11-13

I thought the timing was interesting - the UN has reported that North Korea has been smuggling nuclear equipment into Burma (China has apparently blocked release of the report). Perhaps freeing Suu Kyi was out of fear of retribution for this and also rigged elections.

I can't help but think she might be 'gotten rid off' soon.

That's exactly my feeling too. I'm very afraid for her. Myanmar is nowhere near where South Africa was when they released Mandela and her release doesn't make any sense to me unless the generals conceived the plan to deal with her later. Getting rid of her while she is under the house arrest, surrounded by government troop is one thing and "somebody" setting off a bomb while she is moving freely around the country is another. Please be very careful ASSK!! I'm very worried for you and pray God protects you.

I was in Yangon this summer and had a few opportunity to drive by her house.

I really wish I was in BKK right now. I would fly over and give my support.

You were lucky to drive by her house and sorry you could not make this trip. I am watching what is going on in Yangon?..I never think she will be Free. By the way, I do not trust this Government. Last time the America gave food and money. The Burmese government did not give any credit to the American but, covered the boxes of food with the name of her leader, so her people thought they were from their own. ( Shocked me ) My take and opinion.

The relief goods were donated to the government for distribution.

You will find in other countries that goods are donated to the Red Cross for distribution. They will bear the Red Cross logo when they reach the final recipients.

Kindly advise what shocked you: That the relief goods indeed arrived?

Why do I get the feeling that everybody is bashing the Burmese government for releasing ASSK? The UK Burmese fraction (forgot their exact name) even seem to say that she is nothing, free the other 2,200 political prisoners and they''ll be satisfied.

ASSK is not nothing, and her release is a step into the right direction. Some say that nothing will change and it will have no consequence. I disagree, but that's not important: Freeing her is an international political step and it needs to be applauded. IMHO.

Same with the elections. They may not have been fair and to Western standards, but some kind of elections were held! That's a step in the right direction. It may lead to democracy in the future - we have seen other countries starting a tentative not-so-fair election and after a couple of legislation periods, democracy developed. Democracy was not built over night in any country I am familiar with, so this first step needs to be applauded. IMHO.

Just my 2 cents worth.

What great super fantastic news..... I am almost crying...!!

But was the release for all the wrong reasons??

Guess we will just have to wait and see if Myanma is on the verge of political reform or just relieving pressure after the recent scam elections.

If so clever move by the Junta!!

The release was just because her sentence was over. It has nothing to do with showing good will. As far as I remember 15 years, plus 18 month for that stupid American swam to her house 1.5 years ago.

The release was just because her sentence was over. It has nothing to do with showing good will. As far as I remember 15 years, plus 18 month for that stupid American swam to her house 1.5 years ago.

The release has to do with the rule of law, a basic requirement for democracy. It's a good sign indeed, as dictatorships usually consider themselves above the law - or they just change the law retrospectively.

Next step: Thailand will release its political prisoners?????

Why would Thailand release a bunch of criminal misfits? Hardly the same scenario now is it!

Why do I get the feeling that everybody is bashing the Burmese government for releasing ASSK? The UK Burmese fraction (forgot their exact name) even seem to say that she is nothing, free the other 2,200 political prisoners and they''ll be satisfied.

ASSK is not nothing, and her release is a step into the right direction. Some say that nothing will change and it will have no consequence. I disagree, but that's not important: Freeing her is an international political step and it needs to be applauded. IMHO.

Same with the elections. They may not have been fair and to Western standards, but some kind of elections were held! That's a step in the right direction. It may lead to democracy in the future - we have seen other countries starting a tentative not-so-fair election and after a couple of legislation periods, democracy developed. Democracy was not built over night in any country I am familiar with, so this first step needs to be applauded. IMHO.

You are very pie-eyed my friend.

While her release is obviously a good thing, let's take care to not over-react. She will still be on the junta's tight leash and could easily be jerked back into line. While symbolically important, her release does very little for the current state of affairs of the citizenry. Until the junta is permanently replaced with some sort of constitutional democracy free of military influence, Myanmar is doomed to remain a third rate banana dictatorship. The world must continue to take a hard line against the Myanmar junta.

Exactly; the voice of reason for a change. Until the junta is emaciated and stepped-on, Burma (sic) will forever be a closed shop.

Fantastic news.I think this is a moment to pay tribute to the Thai leaders (from Thaksin to Abhisit) who have laboured so hard to secure her release and democratic rights for the oppressed people of Burma.Thailand politicians and the Thai army (instead of tying up business deals with the Burmese junta) should be congratulated for their persistent and unflagging efforts.It's also a moment to pay tribute to the moral courage of ASEAN who have never felt bound by the asinine policy of non interference in the internal matters of other members.How we remember with pride the interventions by Thailand when the Burmese generals stole the election and continued through murder and repression to cow the Burmese population.

If only...

Beyond the irony, and the terribly depressing record of Thailand political leaders on the Burma question there is a particular blot of shame which cannot even be discussed (though it will be in a few years).

Anyway personally I find China's position on Burma not very admirable but entirely understandable for economic and strategic reasons.As de Gaulle once said the state is a cold monster and China acts rationally in its own interests.What it wants in Burma is political stability, access to resources and Indian Ocean ports.There's no personal animosity toward Suu Kyi and I expect China would work with her if suitable conditions were in place.

In Thailand it's a little different.Clearly there is a huge commercial relationship but beyond that among some of the elite there's a visceral distaste for any civilian politician that commands mass support.(I'm not trying to invoke some kind of Thaksin parallel.He like many of the elite had no time for Suu Kyi and was sickeningly chummy with SLORC).

Edited by jayboy

The release has to do with the rule of law, a basic requirement for democracy. It's a good sign indeed, as dictatorships usually consider themselves above the law - or they just change the law retrospectively.

True, or this time they just couldnt find a swimmer :rolleyes:

Yes - well - the Junta showed scant respect for the rule of law when Aung San Suu Kyi won a landslide victory in the elections back in 1990

PS - Anyone noticed that quite apart from having any ideas or contributions of his own on this matter, PM Abhisit has now taken even to mimicking Tony blair's hand movements when speaking publicly?

Edited by Deeral

If only...

Beyond the irony, and the terribly depressing record of Thailand political leaders on the Burma question there is a particular blot of shame which cannot even be discussed (though it will be in a few years).

Anyway personally I find China's position on Burma not very admirable but entirely understandable for economic and strategic reasons.As de Gaulle once said the state is a cold monster and China acts rationally in its own interests.What it wants in Burma is political stability, access to resources and Indian Ocean ports.There's no personal animosity toward Suu Kyi and I expect China would work with her if suitable conditions were in place.

In Thailand it's a little different.Clearly there is a huge commercial relationship but beyond that among some of the elite there's a visceral distaste for any civilian politician that commands mass support.(I'm not trying to invoke some kind of Thaksin parallel.He like many of the elite had no time for Suu Kyi and was sickeningly chummy with SLORC).

Poitcal stability is seldom achievable for any length of time under a dictatorship of any kind.

What China likes is INSTABILITY - any country where only money talks and an oligarchy or similar beset by corruption and violence suppresses any dissent - ideal for cheap goods ad commodities and exploitation of labour.

Yes - well - the Junta showed scant respect for the rule of law when Aung San Suu Kyi won a landslide victory in the elections back in 1990

PS - Anyone noticed that quite apart from having any ideas or contributions of his own on this matter, PM Abhisit has now taken even to mimicking Tony blair's hand movements when speaking publicly?

Please, could you explain or rephrase this part 'quite apart from having any ideas or contributions of his own on this matter'. Do you want to suggest the PM 'has' or do you want to suggest the PM 'hasn't' own ideas or contributions ?

As for mimicking Tony Blair, no idea, not sure I really care either I must admit.

Are you saying that the Burmese government paid the swimmer to have an excuse for extending the house arrest?

If so, this thread is turning into the bizzar. I am sure there is a place for this on ThaiVisa too. Good-bye, and have a nice time.

Are you saying that the Burmese government paid the swimmer to have an excuse for extending the house arrest?

If so, this thread is turning into the bizzar. I am sure there is a place for this on ThaiVisa too. Good-bye, and have a nice time.

Even more bizarrely, are you trying to suggest that the swimmer was just a random event?

you sound like a person who could watch the Cadbury's flake TV ad and come to the conclusion it was all about a girl too busy eating chocolate to answer the phone!

From an interview in the Guardian with Christopher Hitchens.Relevant to the present thread I think.

"Darfur, Zimbabwe, Burma, North Korea, anywhere that the concept of human rights doesn't exist, it's always the Chinese at backstop. And always for reasons that you could write down in three words: blood for oil."