When Taking A City Bus:

dddave

Time is something I have a lot off so sometimes I enjoy exploring Bangkok using it's vast system of inexpensive air conditioned buses. Usually I have a particular destination in mind and need to tell the conductor only that, but sometimes I'd like get on a bus who's route I don't know and just stay on to the end.

How (In phonetic Thai, please)do I say as simply as possible "I want to go to the end of the route."

Also: "Where is the last stop?"

Thanks in advance.

Here's a couple of other suggestions;

"I want to go to the end of the route." ปลายสายครับ bplaai saai khrap

"Where is the last stop?" ป้ายสุดท้ายอยู่ตรงไหนครับ bpaai sut taai yuu dtrong nai khrap

If you're just looking to pay the right fare, rather than get information then

bpai sut[L]-saai[R] or

bpai sut[L]-tang

tells them you want to go to the end of the line. The only response you should get is told the amount of the fare.

:)

Edited by SoftWater

wanke_rs . Too difficult. 1.Look at the sign on the front or side of the bus, generally written in English, and ask for that. Or simply say :: Rot mot tee neye. Pom ow pie. Toleye? That means The bus finishes where? I want to go. How much is the fare?

wanke_rs . Too difficult. 1.Look at the sign on the front or side of the bus, generally written in English, and ask for that. Or simply say :: Rot mot tee neye. Pom ow pie. Toleye? That means The bus finishes where? I want to go. How much is the fare?

A lot of local buses in Bangkok have no English written on them at all, buses that do, are mainly buses that go to tourist destiInations.

Try "pom yaak bpai" instead of "pom ow bpai"... you may get more success. :whistling:

As for the flame at the beginning of your post... whoever you are referring to... there's no need at all. Incidentally, what does the "a" at the beginning of your username stand for?

wanke_rs . <SNIP>: Rot mot tee neye. Pom ow pie. Toleye? <SNIPPED TOO!!>

And NO, not every bus here in Bangkok has a frickin' engrish translated sign written on it. Especially the ones that say; "This bus is FREE because of the tax thais' paid". (Can you read that one?) Then there are the busses which go MANY places, but their destination(s) are listed on the side of the bus or windows in THAI ONLY.

It also goes without saying (but I'll say it now) that everyone on the forum can't read your crap engrish spelling for thai words without any toning (you goofball, how about writing in thai?) WOW who'da thunk it on the THAI language forum, the mind wobbles. ...

Do you think everyone has the same accent as you do for engrish words? I could name 15 or 20 words that are the same exact words yet sound dissimalar given the various engrish accents out there in the whole wide world. Still you had the balls to preface your post with 'wanke_rs'? Really: &lt;deleted&gt;?

BACK ON TOPIC: the phrase; อยากไปสายหมด (yaakL bpaiM saaiR mohtL) or translated into very rough engrish "(I) want to go to the end of the line" will work in most instances. But I think "Softwater" posted a better phrase. .. Please note the personal pronoun "I" is left OUT when you are speaking to someone about yourself or something you want, (they already know who you're talkin' about) no need to say it EVER!

Edited by tod-daniels

Most non-a/c buses have a flat fare (or free, if they're tax-supported buses as mentioned), so you needn't declare where you want to go at all, just pay your money and sit there.

Most a/c buses have variable fare, so the fare collector already expects you to state your intended destination. No need to phrase it as a question.

Just say สุดสาย 'soot-sai' or ไปสุดสาย 'pai soot-sai'. As mentioned, they'll tell you how much, you pay it, and you're done.

If you want to ask where the end of the line is as simply as possible with minimal chance of confusing the collector, try สุดสายที่ไหน 'soot-sai tee-nai'. Should get the job done.

The clippy didn't expect to understand and was proved right. Going to the end of the route is easy, say something like this, get charged the safest fare from the 'clippy's' point of view,(to the end of the line) and lo, when the bus stops and the crew get out, your wonderful Thai has worked!

Tod, I have never heard the phrase "อยากไปสายหมด (yaakL bpaiM saaiR mohtL)" in the way you have used it. I have only heard phrases such as "sud sai", "blai tang" and "sud tang" and I use the bus daily.