Injunction Allows Transvestites To Enter Chiang Mai Loy Krathong Parade

webfact

Injunction allows transvestites to enter Loy Krathong parade

By By Warattaya Chailangka

The Nation

The Chiang Mai Administrative Court yesterday issued an interim injunction preventing the Nakhon Chiang Mai Municipality from barring transvestives from the Loy Krathong Festival’s large krathong floats contest.

Natee Theerarojanapong, secretary of the Mai Ariya Group, had sued the municipality over its October 18 rule that persons seated on large floats must be either male or female and could not receive a mark from the judges.

Natee’s writ said the municipality’s criteria deprived them of the constitutional right protecting transvestives from discrimination as well as affecting their human integrity, pride of being Chiang Mai citizens, and expected income from joining the contest.

The court was told the municipality did not want the self-proclaimed “sexual diverse people” to join the festival contest because in 2007 they had dressed and acted improperly and tarnished this traditional festival.

The writ claimed this could lead to future problems because it would be a model for injustice and disparity among a community supposed to live in harmony with the sexually diverse.

The court’s injunction said this criteria barred certain people from participating in efforts to conserve and revive the tradition, wisdom and good culture of the community and the country hence the court had issued it as requested by the plaintiff until it was ruled otherwise

Natee Theerarojanapong was so happy about the injunction and the help it would give transvestites and gay people that he led a group of 10 members dancing the loy krathong tune at the Three Kings’ Monument.

Natee said this injunction would give gay and transvestite people a chance to have a place in society, saving them from vices such as prostitution and drug dealing.

He said the municipality’s criteria was based on sexual discrimination and affirmed people’s fears that youths might copy gays and transvestites. This was not likely because it wasn’t a fashion trend but a complexity within a person’s conscience.

nationlogo.jpg

-- The Nation 2010-11-16

This is a religion & culture affair. Having transvestites and non-Buddhist will only damage Thailand image as a Buddhist country.

In that respect ,Thailand is already damaged goods

Since when are Buddhist transvestites suddenly not Buddhist?

Why should your choice of clothing, affect your ability to make merit on this holiday?

This is a religion & culture affair. Having transvestites and non-Buddhist will only damage Thailand image as a Buddhist country.

In that respect ,Thailand is already damaged goods

Since when are Buddhist transvestites suddenly not Buddhist?

Why should your choice of clothing, affect your ability to make merit on this holiday?

thought provoking questions. I watch for a sharp and witty counter from the dudes with attitude to respond.

"Natee said this injunction would give gay and transvestite people a chance to have a place in society, saving them from vices such as prostitution and drug dealing."

I should think straight men and women have a place in society, but it hasnt saved them from prostitution and drug dealing. Walk through any mall and you will see behind counters there are other options for gay and transvestites. I bet there are a great many more ways they are making a living.

Edited by featography

Another cultural event, "Songkran, was traditionally a time to visit and pay respects to elders, including family members, friends and neighbors." If officials in Pattaya were to try to rein in the behavior of people during that traditional event it would probably be welcomed by nearly everyone (and probably be unenforceable). But if those same officials were instead to announce that all farang were to be excluded from the festivities (which would go a long way in reining in the mayhem) there would be howls of protests from the TV crowd.

Likewise, it seems that setting standards for behavior in CM at the Loy Krathong parade might be reasonable as long as they applied equally to everyone, but announcing that certain people are to be excluded simply because of who they are is neither a part Buddhist nor Thai traditions.

While certain transvestites behave in ways that bend traditional standards of respect, they're not alone. There's no shortage of unacceptable behavior from all segments of Thai society as well as amongst what is laughingly referred to as the farang community.

Edited by Suradit

Though I did not attend the 2009 festivities, I did see the parade on various videos. I did not see any inappropriate dress, costumes or behavior, so am curious about the charges levelled at "the sexual diverse" people. If there is anyone who was there could clarify what inappropriate dress or behaviour occurred I would appreciate it.

I would also think that banning someone from a cultural event based on the fact that they are not buddhist would work against the perception the rest of the world has regarding Buddhism as a peaceful, tolerant religion that accepts all peoples and faiths as brothers and sisters.

One would hope that the people of Thailand would embrace their constitution and allow people of all faiths, races and sexual preferences to exercise the freedom that constitution allows them.

Loy Krathong was originally Brahminical festival that was adapted by Buddhists. So why can Thai Buddhists adapt it, but non-Buddhists and transvestites can't celebrate it?

"He said the municipality’s criteria was based on sexual discrimination and affirmed people’s fears that youths might copy gays and transvestites."

Eh wot? Me missus never prayed for a poofter. Who can blame them up in Chang Mai for feeling like that?

Let's hope that her prayers aren't answered.

"He said the municipality's criteria was based on sexual discrimination and affirmed people's fears that youths might copy gays and transvestites."

Eh wot? Me missus never prayed for a poofter. Who can blame them up in Chang Mai for feeling like that?

Im afraid they were mate.

Can you say the same for your mother's prayers?

"He said the municipality's criteria was based on sexual discrimination and affirmed people's fears that youths might copy gays and transvestites."

Im afraid they were mate.

Can you say the same for your mother's prayers?

My mother prayed for a healthy child who loved her. She was lucky.

What about the Chiang Mai faction of the red shirts (CM 51 or something like that)? As I recall they cut up rough when they tried to stage a gay procession up there a while back.

I haven't heard or read anything about them for a while are they still active and are they likely to cause trouble?