Thailand Flooding Destroys Koh Samui Jewish Center

Boater

A week after torrential rains flooded much of the tropical paradise in Koh Samui, Thailand, claiming dozens of lives in the countryside and causing extensive damage to the local Chabad House and attached kosher restaurant, preliminary assessments indicate that travelling Jewish backpackers have safely left the area.

Even in the midst of continuing rains, says Rabbi Yosef Kantor, director of Chabad-Lubavitch of Thailand, plans are in place to rebuild and renovate.

“The water has receded somewhat,” reports Rabbi Chaim Eliezer Ashkenazi, who coordinates logistics for all of Thailand’s Chabad Houses and was among the first to touch down in Koh Samui after the local airport reopened.

“All the electrical equipment, all the computers, the furniture and books are ruined,” he continues. “Everything under shoulder level is gone.”

The waters claimed the ark housing the center’s Torah scrolls, but staff successfully removed the scrolls themselves.

“We need to replace everything,” adds Ashnkenazi. “I am racking my brain trying to figure out how to pay for everything.”

http://www.chabad.org/news/article_cdo/aid/1354372/jewish/Flooding-Destroys-Thai-Chabad-House.htm

My bar is right next to the Jewish center and we were open again 3 days after the flood. When the water started to rise in the road, we were there all night moving everything that could be damaged. Fridges and pool tables excepted. We took rooms in the hotel opposite and moved as much as we could there. I did not see one person at the Jewish center at all. No one did anything so I am not surprised their stuff is ruined....

So the 7/11 at Laem Din Market, the Family Mart up the Laem Din Road, many belongings and the housing of those who have no public voice are either lost or completely ruined and it's raining again in force... the Leam Din Road is flooded once again, not heavy but it's building up slowly!

I honestly think this topic has fulfilled it's purpose, I don't see it going anywhere positive.

Flooding on the island is discussed at length HERE. As another poster pointed out many more people, have lost a lot more in homes, businesses & personal belongings.I don;t see the reasoning of just highlighting that particular article.

##### Closed ######