Landlord Refuses To Pay Back Deposit

I was under the impression that only a contract written in Thai by a Thai lawyer is legally valid in Thailand.

So what exactly do you think you are doing?

I was under the impresion you must wear a motorcycle helmet whilst driving a motorcycle ;) Cant see many Farang customers signing any Thai contract, 90% probably cant read it.

My point being, you say contract, when it is only your statement of intentions.

You try to keep a deposit, the tenant takes you to Thai court, Thai court says "where is the contract", you produce English document, Judge says "not a valid contract" and orders the money returned.

I would actually report a landlord keeping a deposit to the police for theft .... unless they had a proper Thai contract ...... and the police would more than likely arrest the landlord.

The ability of a foreigner to read a Thai contract in no way limits or restricts the contracts value.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As someone said, rent /deposit issues are a civil not criminal matter: The landlord's recourse is to put a padlock on the door of their house/apartment and then wait for you to break in which IS a criminal activity which with a bottle of Johnny Walker his police buddies can pursue.

There is also a different side on the story.

I rent out houses and the rental contract I use is quite extensive because I had to many problem in the past.

Sometimes when the people move out of the house, the house looks like a mess with everywhere holes in the walls ( from hanging things on the wall ) and so on.

So I can understand that the deposit can be used to repair those things. ( I do it also if required )

Most people understand this, but you have always sometime people who doesn't.

The rental contract I use mentions very clear what is expected from the tenants in regard of damage but also any possible disturbance for the neighbors.

I always use a "nothing to be stuck or fastened on the walls clause" etc although sometimes they use blu tack BUT this still leaves an oily residue requiring r e painting, they never learn even when they tell you this.

Ineterstingly where I live there is a no smoking rule outside in a walkway,and recently people have been smoking in it .

When the security guards ask them not to they get a lot of abuse and are now reluctant to do so. many Thais disaprove but are reluctant to say anything, they need to speak up more.. Again selfishness.

I just set up a new rental contract for my houses which I will use when new people move in.

The contract is very clear about any damages ( walls, doors and so on ) and also when they lose the right of deposit returns.

The contract is maybe long but there is no discussion any more about when and if the deposit has to be paid or when the tenants are in breach of the contract and I can remove them if necessary.

I was under the impression that only a contract written in Thai by a Thai lawyer is legally valid in Thailand.

The contract ( in English and Thai ) is a binding legal contract as checked with the lawyer.

And it is not me who is doing it but my Thai wife and the tenants. :)

Like in everything, I'm only a adviser.

I always use a "nothing to be stuck or fastened on the walls clause"

These types of unreasonable landlords always amaze me. I would never rent from someone who had such eggregious conditions. When I was renting, I walked out of more than one place because someone presented me a one sided rental agreement and expected me to be stupid. I mean, let's face it. I'm paying tens of thousands of baht per month to live there, and some greedy management service thinks I should not be allowed to hang some personal effects?

Forget it. Build the cost of fixing a few small holes into your rental costs. It doesn't need to be taken from the deposit unless it is truly damage. Allowing people to make a rental house their home is part of the responsibilities of being a landlord. In many states in the US, as long as someone rents for at least a year, repainting isn't even considered a justifiable expense.

This kind of unbelievable selfishness by property owners always amazes me. Maybe unreasonable policies such as this are why landlords are regarded so poorly in LOS. Just glad I finally purchased my home. The aggravations of dealing with landlords who think are god are just too exasperating.

To the OP, MikeyIdea is correct. This is a civil manner, and technically the police have no authority here. A lawyer is your only reliable recourse. However, we all know the Boys In Brown are capable of making a few problems for unscrupulous landlords who refuse to return deposits in exchange for a 50% collection fee. So even though it may not be technically correct, a sympathetic officer from your local precinct may be able to help in an unofficial capacity.

Personally, I'd rather see the money to a corrupt policeman than a corrupt landlord.

Forget it. Build the cost of fixing a few small holes into your rental costs. It doesn't need to be taken from the deposit unless it is truly damage. Allowing people to make a rental house their home is part of the responsibilities of being a landlord. In many states in the US, as long as someone rents for at least a year, repainting isn't even considered a justifiable expense.

Not every tenant wants to drill holes or bang nails into the walls. Perhaps you can approach it the other way - the standard rental price is not to do so, and then ask the landlord to raise the rental price so that you can do so.

Not every tenant wants to drill holes or bang nails into the walls. Perhaps you can approach it the other way - the standard rental price is not to do so, and then ask the landlord to raise the rental price so that you can do so.

My rental units have been renovated for tenants to hang artworks on the walls, and I have also placed in track lights for this purpose. But so far, none of my tenants have requested permission to do so. One tenant was a French who dealt with home decorations. He chose to place artworks on the floor and against the wall. I bought over most of his artworks when he left for France.

post-77843-0-63958100-1290491152_thumb.j

post-77843-0-16008900-1290491173_thumb.j

We have pictures, clocks etc on the walls of our rented condo (3 year lease), all are either on sticky hooks or small screwed hooks. All were installed with full permission of the landlord as was the hole through the wall for the UBC cable (it was UBC then). Obviously I've tried to minimise any damage caused and taken as much care as I would in my own property.

The landlord knows she will have to re-decorate when we leave and this cost has been built in to the lease / rent. Of course, the fact that we have a long lease makes doing it this way more attractive, probably not practical for short term leases :(

The apartment we had in Brussels had an old fashioned picture-rail which allowed art to be hung anywhere without compromising the wall finish. If the mouldings and hooks are available in Thailand maybe that could be a solution for the short term landlord, with a specific clause in the lease saying all artwork etc must be hung from the rail.

I was under the impresion you must wear a motorcycle helmet whilst driving a motorcycle ;) Cant see many Farang customers signing any Thai contract, 90% probably cant read it.

You try to keep a deposit, the tenant takes you to Thai court, Thai court says "where is the contract", you produce English document, Judge says "not a valid contract" and orders the money returned.

I would actually report a landlord keeping a deposit to the police for theft .... unless they had a proper Thai contract ...... and the police would more than likely arrest the landlord.

The ability of a foreigner to read a Thai contract in no way limits or restricts the contracts value.

We have the equivalent in Thai but only for Thai customers however now u mention it Ill get all customers to sign a copy of the Thai one too BUT the problem will then be they say "Im not signing that i cant read it" which means they then will have to get a translation of it and I really cant see em wasting their time on that

, unless they believe our translation and i wouldnt, could be signing anything.

Edited by travelmann

My rental units have been renovated for tenants to hang artworks on the walls, and I have also placed in track lights for this purpose. But so far, none of my tenants have requested permission to do so. One tenant was a French who dealt with home decorations. He chose to place artworks on the floor and against the wall. I bought over most of his artworks when he left for France.

We just put our own up an hope people like them.

post-113733-0-88713500-1290560978_thumb.

These types of unreasonable landlords always amaze me. I would never rent from someone who had such eggregious conditions. When I was renting, I walked out of more than one place because someone presented me a one sided rental agreement and expected me to be stupid. I mean, let's face it. I'm paying tens of thousands of baht per month to live there, and some greedy management service thinks I should not be allowed to hang some personal effects?

This kind of unbelievable selfishness by property owners always amazes me. Maybe unreasonable policies such as this are why landlords are regarded so poorly in LOS. Just glad I finally purchased my home. The aggravations of dealing with landlords who think are god are just too exasperating.

To the OP, MikeyIdea is correct. This is a civil manner, and technically the police have no authority here. A lawyer is your only reliable recourse. However, we all know the Boys In Brown are capable of making a few problems for unscrupulous landlords who refuse to return deposits in exchange for a 50% collection fee. So even though it may not be technically correct, a sympathetic officer from your local precinct may be able to help in an unofficial capacity.

Personally, I'd rather see the money to a corrupt policeman than a corrupt landlord.

Thankfully we turn away tenants like yourself for the reasons you state "unvbelieveable selfishness", ANY hole in the wall requires the whole wall to be repainted not just the area where the hole was so its not just a case of daubing some paint on a 1 cm patch.

If you'd like to see my reccomendations from happy customers feel free, Thankfully this isnt the U.S :jap:

We have the equivalent in Thai but only for Thai customers however now u mention it Ill get all customers to sign a copy of the Thai one too BUT the problem will then be they say "Im not signing that i cant read it" which means they then will have to get a translation of it and I really cant see em wasting their time on that

You are too kind travelmann, letting westerners only sign an English contract in Thailand. Get all your customers to sign a Thai contract. It is the customers problem if he can read the contract or not and he can and should request a copy and get it translated before he signs if he expects problems

A deposit not returned cannot be theft according to Thai law, it can be another civil matter but not theft. The police will not act because they are out of juristiction, they will arrest the landlord when a court of law give them mandate to do so

A contract only in English is also a legal binding contract for the Thai law.

Only if you have to go court or police the English contract has to be translated into Thai and authorized before they will accept your case.

Thankfully we turn away tenants like yourself for the reasons you state "unvbelieveable selfishness", ANY hole in the wall requires the whole wall to be repainted not just the area where the hole was so its not just a case of daubing some paint on a 1 cm patch.

If you'd like to see my reccomendations from happy customers feel free, Thankfully this isnt the U.S :jap:

I guarantee you that no matter how many "happy" customers you think you have, you are losing potential renters because of your unreasonable policies. Repainting is not a big deal. If you aren't making enough off your rentals to repaint a single wall or 2 after a year of rent, you need to rethink your investments.

Just something to consider as your units are vacant in the future. You might actually have tenants if you made your expectations more realistic.

I don't rent any more thankfully. And as a home owner, I know exactly how much paint costs. Your present policy is one of greed pure and simple.

I'm not sure what happened to this topic as the OP started out by saying the rental deposit was not returned due to having too many loud parties. It has evolved in to a discussion about contracts and actual physical damages to the property.

If the renter agreed to a lease and the lease stated that disregarding any rules and regulations about disrupting the "neighborhood" after any stated quiet hours and the locals complained on more than one occasion than the owner has a right to evict if necessary and keep the deposit IMHO

I'm not sure what happened to this topic as the OP started out by saying the rental deposit was not returned due to having too many loud parties. It has evolved in to a discussion about contracts and actual physical damages to the property.

If the renter agreed to a lease and the lease stated that disregarding any rules and regulations about disrupting the "neighborhood" after any stated quiet hours and the locals complained on more than one occasion than the owner has a right to evict if necessary and keep the deposit IMHO

If the tenant had been loud enough to cause other neighbours to complain, then I would agree with keeping a reasonable amount of the deposit as compensation, absolutely.

Edit: Spelling mistake

Edited by MikeyIdea

Here is my take on it.

The landlord evicted the tenant for being noisy. His right.

However I doubt this is part of any rental agreement.

Thus the landlord is obligated to return the deposit less any repairs.

150K ????? Where were you living?

Some Penthouse suite on Rajadamri?

Buy a clue.

For all the rich landlords bloviating on this thread.

I sure hope you get the concept of "normal wear & tear". I am not expecting to pay for that.

Also do me a favor. Ditch the blue wall tile in the bathroom. Gives me vertigo.

If the tenant had been loud enough to cause other neighbours to complain, then I would agree with keeping a reasonable amount of the deposit as compensation, absolutely.

Compensation for who, the landlord or the neighbours?

I agree that the landlord has the right to require an unreasonable tenant to leave, but the right should be in the contract and it should follow a warning.

It does seem that some landlords regard the deposit at theirs to keep whatever the circumstances, thankfully some posters on this thread seem to buck the trend. Landlord's must factor in reasonable wear and tear and the fact properties do need regular repainting, I suspect that in many instances the deposit is used to spruce up the property for the new occupants. In the two years I have lived in my condo I have never been approached by my landlady to check the state of her property or indeed to ascertain it need painting, I assume this is the norm, but the contract should work both ways.

I live in a condo and pay the maintenance fee with my rent, many times during my tenancy the Juristic Person has had to chase up the landlady for the fee to be passed on, I fear that when I do leave I will have to fight to get my deposit returned, as she will not have it to give.

To the poster that seems to think it's the fault of the tenant if the contract is only available in Thai does show a degree of unreasonableness.

Edited by theoldgit

Compensation for who, the landlord or the neighbours?

I agree that the landlord has the right to require an unreasonable tenant to leave, but the right should be in the contract and it should follow a warning.

It does seem that some landlords regard the deposit at theirs to keep whatever the circumstances, thankfully some posters on this thread seem to buck the trend. Landlord's must factor in reasonable wear and tear and the fact properties do need regular repainting, I suspect that in many instances the deposit is used to spruce up the property for the new occupants. In the two years I have lived in my condo I have never been approached by my landlady to check the state of her property or indeed to ascertain it need painting, I assume this is the norm, but the contract should work both ways.

I live in a condo and pay the maintenance fee with my rent, many times during my tenancy the Juristic Person has had to chase up the landlady for the fee to be passed on, I fear that when I do leave I will have to fight to get my deposit returned, as she will not have it to give.

To the poster that seems to think it's the fault of the tenant if the contract is only available in Thai does show a degree of unreasonableness.

I think everything regarding this is common sense. Thai contracts do have clauses about tenants behaviour etc in them.

Compensation is compensation for both. Money is not the only compensation possible, nor is materialistic compensation the most important type, rather one of the least important ones. The landlord would most likely be the only one getting money but the landlord would have to apologise and ensure other tenants that they this will not happen again, he will be more careful in his choice of tenants, make an effort to make his now not so happy tenants happy again. Worth some compensation, I am not saying that it should be 3 months rent or anything but some reasonable compensation is fair

Some tenants regard deposit as non-refundable regardless and that is pure wrong. I do not defend that in any way. As to what is the norm regarding wear and tear and maintenance: We are in Thailand and Thai norm is what is applicable, not American or western norm, we should accept that and take it into consideration. Ask a Thai friend for what is the norm before signing and expect what he says

Thai or English contract is easy: It is no ones fault but it is the potential tenants responsibility to bring along someone who can read the Thai contract for him before he signs it. It isn't more difficult than that. If he is not satisfied with that, then he should contact places who are likely to have English translations ready, or take the effort of translating it is he doesn't. I think this is fair

My opinion :)

I guarantee you that no matter how many "happy" customers you think you have, you are losing potential renters because of your unreasonable policies. Repainting is not a big deal. If you aren't making enough off your rentals to repaint a single wall or 2 after a year of rent, you need to rethink your investments.

Just something to consider as your units are vacant in the future. You might actually have tenants if you made your expectations more realistic.

I don't rent any more thankfully. And as a home owner, I know exactly how much paint costs. Your present policy is one of greed pure and simple.

Full with 5 rooms for 4 years longest down time was last month 2 weeks empty for 1 room, we could also allow smokers pet owners and drug addicts to increase our market share :lol: :lol: :lol: and 10% Roi now and up until the last 1 2 months it was 12% Roi . By my calculations once Ive owned the units 7 years they will have paid for themselves, Im now at 4.5 years.

Our policy is one of "common sense" something you seem to fail to understand an not an "anything goes policy" that you seem to want..

I doubt our units will ever be vacant due to location, price and customer service.

Edited by travelmann

I guess people who never rented out property have any idea what it is like.

The first 'filter' is the most important. In my own country that is, steady job, 3 salary slips, 2 months deposit and 1 month rent in advance.

If that is too high, beat it. If i don't like your face or 'oder', bad luck. No pets, no smokers, no redecorating without permission. Don't like it. So what, i am the boss, bye.

Want to invite friends for sleep overs because they don't have a place to stay, sorry. Extended family for the holidays, no problem. etc...

You need to cover a lot of things. I even have to explicitly mention that starting a marijuana plantation is not allowed.

Using 'filters' i have after a few bad ones perfect tenants. They keep the place clean, rent already more then 2 years. Asked if they can paint the walls another color, no problem. Small defects repaired same or next day. This christmas they can expect 1 month deposit in return. I guess they will stay a few more years.

Without 'filters' i probably would end up in a mental hospital.

I guess people who never rented out property have any idea what it is like.

The first 'filter' is the most important. In my own country that is, steady job, 3 salary slips, 2 months deposit and 1 month rent in advance.

If that is too high, beat it. If i don't like your face or 'oder', bad luck. No pets, no smokers, no redecorating without permission. Don't like it. So what, i am the boss, bye.

Want to invite friends for sleep overs because they don't have a place to stay, sorry. Extended family for the holidays, no problem. etc...

You need to cover a lot of things. I even have to explicitly mention that starting a marijuana plantation is not allowed.

Using 'filters' i have after a few bad ones perfect tenants. They keep the place clean, rent already more then 2 years. Asked if they can paint the walls another color, no problem. Small defects repaired same or next day. This christmas they can expect 1 month deposit in return. I guess they will stay a few more years.

Without 'filters' i probably would end up in a mental hospital.

Nail on head there Jean and talking of which when the posters who think its ok to go and nail stuff to walls etc and then find an electric cableor water pipe and flood the neighbour below etc Id like to see them paying for that lot, oh wait no doubt theyll say our insurance should cover this for them.

Anyhing that breaks in our rooms is fixed the same or next day UNLESS its caused by their negligent actions normal wear and tear accepted but if they rip the air con off the wall they're paying.

I find most of my tenants extremely good only had 1 real dirty pig in the 4+ years, the best ones are usually either working for a foreign company or retired with a reasonable income, ill steer clear of young kids on gap years.

All tenants read and sign the lease agreement never had one say they dont want this that or the other and if they did then there would be no agreement Id simply decline them. if thats unreasonable then tough move on there's plenty of other units.

The simplest way to get back your deposit from me is to abide by the rules you agreed to, there will be no deposit witheld by me.

I AM sure some other landlords who maybe borrowed money to buy their units and are struggling with re-payments may not be so accommodating, this isnt acceptable but I suspect it will be a fight to get anywhere easily with it especially if you are leaving the country. Sometimes the cheapest rooms arent the best.

I've always had my deposits returned in full (UK and Thailand) - I agree with those landlords who say follow the rules and there's no reason not to have your deposit returned.

Now I am in my own place I can hang frames on the walls, redecorate etc... IMO a rental is someone else's place and someone else will have to live in it after I have moved out - Some people who can't understand this concept and try and personalise the place or simply don't look after the property deserve to loose their deposits.

This also goes for consideration towards other tenants...

I've moved out of a place before after a noisy neighbor moved in (I'd been there 5 years and after 3 written complains, let them know why I was moving).

Now I have bought a place, someone down the corridor has a cat wailing all day long (it's pet free condo).

This world is full of too many people who don't give two hoots about those around them and the property of others..... They deserve their comeuppance.

There are good tenants and bad tenants. There are good landlords and bad ones.

I have rented all my life and until staying in Thailand I had my security deposits returned in full. That was until I stayed at Masterview Executive Apartments in Klongsan. I endured 6 months of unrelenting noise from a construction site opposite the building and then, without warning, from neighbors opposite, who chose to gut their apartment (back to the concrete shell) without any forewarning. I moved. Upon leaving I checked the lease and noted there was no conditions for the landlord to uphold. Regardless I wanted to leave on good terms. The TV had stopped working (no fault of my own) so I had it repaired (about 2500bht). My current lease states I am to pay for anything below 1000 bht. My landlord claimed I had to pay for such an expense. They then checked the apartment and added to that amount. No alot, but definitely not warranted. Aside from general wear and tear, the apartment was virtually the same as it was when I moved in. Yet I was still asked to pay for various items/issues. Granted one needs to pay for cleaning etc. Nonetheless, I stupidly imagined my landlord might have the good grace to 'let it go' due to the noise I had suffered for a number of months. They were European and had always projected a mature and considerate demaneour. However his Thai wife had other ideas.

I was lucky I believe as most of my deposit was returned and the expense I did have to pay was more irritating than anything else. If it was more sizeable all I can think is trying to access a civil court. That said, I accept such circumstances as above can happen, and can happen anywhere in the world. If you can just move on I think this is the best recourse. Life often seems to 'balance out' in the end. Where I'm living now the owner is covering my Platinum Truevisions subscription and I am getting to see my beloved hockee nam ken on a regular basis.

There, it's finally off my chest.