Bank Of America To Bangkok Bank Ltd

My transfer was deducted from my Bank of America (BOA) account on the 3rd of October. Looking at the transfer page, it shows the transfer is still in process. I am thinking it will be complete by Saturday.

I've followed all the instructions, a lot of trouble setting this up, and my transfer for $1700 failed last week. An earlier small one succeed with some strange and rather large fees. The jury is still out on this idea as far as I'm concerned. Please keep up the banter, Richard, we all need to get this resolved.

• Replies 241
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a BOA to Bangkok Bank (BB) transfer update. I called Bangkok Bank tonight and was told my $1000 transfer went through. Here are the details.

Transfered from BOA $1000 on 1 Oct 2005 (Cost $3)

Withdrawn from account on 3 Oct 05

Transfer Complete 6 Oct 05

Deposited in BB account 40505.45 baht on 6 Oct 05

Not sure of the exchange rate. It looks like 40.50 but I forgot to ask the lady when I was on the phone. It is probably something different since I know they charge a fee for the transfer.

The strange thing is, the Bangkok Bank New York office didn't appear to charge me a transfer fee.

I think monthly transfers like this is something I can live with. I hope it will satisfy the requirement from immagration for the Non-Immagrit O visa extension for support of a Thai wife.

Edited by richard10365

Here is a BOA to Bangkok Bank (BB) transfer update. I called Bangkok Bank tonight and was told my $1000 transfer went through. Here are the details.

Transfered from BOA $1000 on 1 Oct 2005 (Cost $3)

Withdrawn from account on 3 Oct 05

Transfer Complete 6 Oct 05

Deposited in BB account 40505.45 baht on 6 Oct 05

Not sure of the exchange rate. It looks like 40.50 but I forgot to ask the lady when I was on the phone. It is probably something different since I know they charge a fee for the transfer.

The strange thing is, the Bangkok Bank New York office didn't appear to charge me a transfer fee.

I think monthly transfers like this is something I can live with. I hope it will satisfy the requirement from immagration for the Non-Immagrit O visa extension for support of a Thai wife.

It should be fine for immigration as will appear as a foreign deposit but it is not a requirement to do this on any set schedule.

I had to top off the account, to the tune of $2500 to ensure a buffer for ATM use, etc.

Actually, I initiated the transfer very early on the 28th, state side time. I just checked my BOA account on-line, and it shows the amount transferred, including the $3 charge, and dated the 29th. Next time I go to the bank, I'll update my BB passbook, expecting it to show the amount transferred minus 500 baht. This amounts to about a 1/2 percent charge.

If I had transferred $10k it would have been 1/8th percent.

Not as quick as using the debit card at a money exchange booth or ATM, and not free. Yet, I hope that the gain in change rate versus using the card makes up for that, as people have said.

Once I get on-line banking going here with BB, it will be very convenient!

Update: :o

My $10,000 transfer was rejected, cancelled. The amount was refunded to my BOA account.

I called BOA customer support, and even spoke to a manager. Here's the upshot:

Perpaps because the amount was exactly 10k, it triggered an second look of some sort. Bangkok Bank was determined to not be domiciled in the US, so they not only cancelled the transfer but cancelled the transaction setup.

This means that at least for my particular account, BOA is a no-op. I have to find another bank. :D

I might try setting up again, and go with smaller amounts, but that increases the percentage of cost.

If someone has better luck with less than $10,000, I'd like to hear about it.

Side note, the amount removed from my account was $10,003. It may have been the extra $3 that triggered the alert (as a wise-acre in on-line support suggested, I could have tried $9,997 to stay below 10k).

It's STUPID programming to make the $3 apply to the max amount allowed, but not to be put beyond the ignorance of Bank people.

At any rate, this is to recommend against BOA unless something can be worked out.

A supervisor at BOA's transfer division politely insisted that the investigation into the amount (perhaps in fact over 10k) pointed up that BB was not "domiciled" in the US.

I gave up before persuing further.

I hope this has not screwed anyone else up.

UC

• 2 weeks later...
Based on my own experience and the previous post, I believe that BOA refuses to offer this service now, and does not accept Bangkok Bank New York as a valid transfer bank.

I sent money via BOA on Sept 1st and Oct 1st, 2005.

I just looked at my BOA account and Bangkok Bank is still listed as the bank I can send to.

The service still appears to be offered.

Well, good news I hope, a $9k transfer shows up today as 'in process' and the money has been deducted from my account a couple of days ago.

I initiated this transaction back on Tuesday the 18th, after verifying a re-creation of the previously screwed up Transaction account.

Now I got this far before, though the amount was the fateful three bucks above the limit. Hopefully it won't get flagged and rejected by a human between now and next Tuesday which is the earliest I realistically expect the money to arrive in my BB account. I'm not going to count these bucks before they hatch, though, that's for sure.

The electronic banking supervisor I spoke to tried to tell me that "someone" invalidated my transfer not because of the amount but because it was a non-US bank.

So, we'll see what happens. :o

Edited by Upcountry

Well, I don't mind giving a play-by-play here, given how stupid an unclear BOA has to be.

I just noticed a credit for the amount I tried to tranfer, plus the $3 they charged me, bless them.

Looks like some pee counter had to reject this one too.

So it looks like they don't have two ball counts between them these idiots!

If the want to prevent me from transferring to BB NY from the begining, fine, curse them, let 'em play there stupid "only-USA-counts" or "we want more money" policy, but to jack us around like this is asking for trouble. I'm going to make sure that everyone everywhere who might want to ise this feature may be in for a surprise.

I encourage everyone who is interested to spread the word.

Please wait untill Tuesday (Monday is a Thai hollday and we have to wait till Monday USA time anyway to be sure) but lets let BAO feel the pain!

If it turns out otherwise, I'll let you know ASAP.

Edited by Upcountry

Spoke to a woman named Nancy, tried to be polite while letting my anger be understood. Mind you, I did not yell or use unacceptable words, I just insisted that my anger was justified and intense. I also let her know that international forums were listening.

She apparently hung up on me.

Is that a strategically situated professional bank or some Podunk credit union?

My advice is that BOA is too big for its britches. Time to look around if you are not complacent! :o

So, I "called" back via Skype and spoke to Leon, who who was very sympathetic. He listened to me and attempted to get an answer but he could not get one, so he was willing to send a an email on my behalf. I knew this would get me nowhere.

One "helpful" idea Leon gave me is this: Maybe the first transfer went through because is was the first one. After that, the problematic issue was recognized and things failed. I told him how the first "transfer" was the two test trasnfers, but after that over $2500 seemed to fail. No logical response.

He gave me this address:

Bank of America

ATT: Customer Relations

P.O. 25118

Tampa, FL 33622

My basic sense is that BOA is not willing/capable of allowing significant transfers that at least exceed the economics of a debit card transfer.

Oh well. Very sad that they can't at be clear about what they will allow and will not allow their international customers.

UC

Edited by Upcountry

I don't like having my main bank all the way in California when I have to communicate with them. Email is just not good enough for me to explain my problem. I am condsidering closing my BOA account and setting up International Direct Deposit with Bangkok Bank. Maybe if everyone did that they would...................naaaa.................stupid thought...they don't care.

Edited by richard10365

So other than the phone call you were able to do everything online at:  www.bankofamerica.com.......is this right?

That is correct. The only people I called was Bankok Bank to get the amount of how much (in US currency) was transfered to my Bangkok Bank account.

Everything else was done online at www.bankofamerica.com.

Now when I open my account on the internet, I have a tab I select (transfer funds) that lets me transfer from my BOA account to my Bangkok Bank account. It also has a option to let you choose next day or 3 day processing.

Richard

I also have a BofA account in Connecticut. I opened a US$ savings account with Citibank Thailand. I want to transfer the money in US$ and keep it in US$ and convert it as I need it.

I went to the BofA website to register Citibank account. It had two placeholders - one for Routing number and one for account number. In the routing number, I put the Citibank NY routing number (021000089). In the account number I put the Citibank Thailand US$ account number.

The transfer came back as failed saying "Either the account number or the routing number is incorrect". When I called Citibank Thailand to ask about this, they had no clue what I meant by this kind of transfer. They said that there are two account numbers, one is the account number in Citi Thai and the other is the Citi Thai account number in Citi NY. They also said that if I gave the Citi Thai account number in Citi NY to BofA, then it will be a problem too since CitiNY will receive the money but would not know where to credit it further (since there is no comments field in the BofA instructions). They suggested that I should put the Cit Thai ABA number (CITITHBX) in BofA. When I tried that, BofA rejected it since it only accepts digits and no letters.

Pl let me know what I am doing wrong.....

Thanks

AR

Was the account number your using ( Citibank Thailand US$ account number) issued here in Thailand? If not, that might be the problem.

Bank in the USA-->Thai Bank physically located in the USA-->Bank physically located in Thailand.

The account number to transfer FROM comes from the bank physically located in the United States.

The account number to transfer TO has to come from the Bank physically located in Thailand.

Bangkok Bank has the office in New York. When they receive the funds with my account number on it, it automatically is forwarded to Thailand.

They suggested that I should put the Cit Thai ABA number (CITITHBX) in BofA. When I tried that, BofA rejected it since it only accepts digits and no letters.

Thanks

AR

That "number" (CITITHBX) looks like the SWIFT code for your bank in Thailand?

Has everyone here trying to initiate transfers already gone through the set-up, sample transfer and verification process described earlier in this thread? Or are people like ARR and Up country still trying to get through the initial set-up? I succesfully set-up a link between my BofA account in the U.S.A. and my Bangkok Bank account here in Thailand. However I have not had a need to transfer any funds.

They suggested that I should put the Cit Thai ABA number (CITITHBX) in BofA. When I tried that, BofA rejected it since it only accepts digits and no letters.

Thanks

AR

That "number" (CITITHBX) looks like the SWIFT code for your bank in Thailand?

Has everyone here trying to initiate transfers already gone through the set-up, sample transfer and verification process described earlier in this thread? Or are people like ARR and Up country still trying to get through the initial set-up? I succesfully set-up a link between my BofA account in the U.S.A. and my Bangkok Bank account here in Thailand. However I have not had a need to transfer any funds.

I have succeded in sending $1000 on 1 Oct so it seems to work.

Was the account number your using ( Citibank Thailand US$ account number) issued here in Thailand?  If not, that might be the problem.

Bank in the USA-->Thai Bank physically located in the USA-->Bank physically located in Thailand.

The account number to transfer FROM comes from the bank physically located in the United States.

The account number to transfer TO has to come from the Bank physically located in Thailand.

Bangkok Bank has the office in New York. When they receive the funds with my account number on it, it automatically is forwarded to Thailand.

Richard

The account number I put in the BofA "Transfer Funds" was the Thailand based US$ savings account number. The Routing number was the routing number of Citibank NY. Is that how you have tried it with Bangkok bank too?

Amit

I have succeded in sending $1000 on 1 Oct so it seems to work.

Richard

Can you keep money in US$ in the Bangkok Bank account? Or you have to convert it all into Thai Baht immediately? The only reason I opened Citibank account was that I thought they are the only ones who offer US$ account in Thailand. If Bangkok Bank does the same too, then I can go to them.

Amit

Was the account number your using ( Citibank Thailand US$ account number) issued here in Thailand?  If not, that might be the problem.

Richard

The account number I put in the BofA "Transfer Funds" was the Thailand based US$ savings account number. The Routing number was the routing number of Citibank NY. Is that how you have tried it with Bangkok bank too?

Amit

ARR, That is how I did it.

BOA America has an option that allows you to search for banks already in their database. Bangkok Bank, NY was already in their data base and I did not have to provide a routing number.

When initially setting up the transfer, I searched their database and selected Bangkok Bank, NY as the other financial institution to transfer my money to.

Bangkok Bank initiated the 2 small transfers ($.01 - $.99). Once I confirmed the deposited amount, the transfer function of my bank account became active.

I don't know about keeping US dollars in bank accounts here in Thailand. I imagine it is automatically converted to Thai baht. Then if you want to buy US dollars back, you have to pay their price for them. I guess thats their way of getting more money from you.

Edited by richard10365

Richard

Amit

BOA America has an option that allows you to search for banks already in their database. Bangkok Bank, NY was already in their data base and I did not have to provide a routing number.

When initially setting up the transfer, I searched their database and selected Bangkok Bank, NY as the other financial institution to transfer my money to.

Bangkok Bank initiated the 2 small transfers ($.01 - $.99). Once I confirmed the deposited amount, the transfer function of my bank account became active.

I don't know about keeping US dollars in bank accounts here in Thailand. I imagine it is automatically converted to Thai baht. Then if you want to buy US dollars back, you have to pay their price for them. I guess thats their way of getting more money from you.

Thanks for the details. The same process with Citi Thailand failed. I will call Bangkok Bank tommorrow and see if they offer a US$ account.

I guess when you said "Bangkok Bank initiated the 2 small transfers...", you meant BofA initiated two transfers which went from your BofA account into Bangkok Bank Thailand account. Then you confirmed these amounts in BofA confirmation page and then the link became active.......

AR

Richard

Amit

Thanks for the details. The same process with Citi Thailand failed. I will call Bangkok Bank tommorrow and see if they offer a US$ account.

I guess when you said "Bangkok Bank initiated the 2 small transfers...", you meant BofA initiated two transfers which went from your BofA account into Bangkok Bank Thailand account. Then you confirmed these amounts in BofA confirmation page and then the link became active.......

AR

Uhhh....yes...sorry about that.....Bank of America initiated the 2 small transfers.

Richard,

I went to BOA web page to see about opening an account with BOA, but under TRANSFER FUNDS, they only talk about transfering funds between accounts within BOA(checking, savings, line of credit, etc). Are the transfers you're refering to only available after you establish an account with BOA and is the account checking or savings? Thanks.

Richard,

I went to BOA web page to see about opening an account with BOA, but under TRANSFER FUNDS, they only talk about transfering funds between accounts within BOA(checking, savings, line of credit, etc).  Are the transfers you're refering to only available after you establish an account with BOA and is the account checking or savings?  Thanks.

My guess is that you would need to have an established BofA account (savings or checking) prior to requesting the ability to transfer funds to a bank account in Thailand. I say this because the verification process requires a trial transfer (one or two; two in my case), and you'd need an account from which to transfer.

I found the routing number here, by going to the www.bangkokbank.com web site and searching.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/Ab...anch+in+USA.htm

Here's a complete set of info I found there:

New York Branch

Mr. Chalit Phaphan, Branch Manager

Bangkok Bank PCL New York Branch

29 Broadway, 20th Floor, New York

NY 10006

Tel: (1-212) 422-8200

Fax: (1-212) 422-0728

Swift: BKKB US 33

Telex:(023) 175459 BKBK UT

E-mail: [email protected]

FED Routing No: 026008691

CHIPS ABA: 0869

I notice that some people have been able to successfully transfer money, and some have had trouble. The successful ones have been smaller amounts.

Someone I heard from recently said he has had experience working for BOA. He believes the problem I'm having is related to their "anti-money laundering processes".

It could be that smaller amounts get past their filters for this purpose, but higher amounts get flagged. Of course their helpful support people cannot/will not tell you and me what that amount is.

If I get the opportunity to try again at some point, maybe I'll try $4,997 or a little less to see if $5k is the filter limit.

It may be worth my contacting BB in NY to see if they can help here.

I found the routing number here, by going to the www.bangkokbank.com web site and searching.

http://www.bangkokbank.com/Bangkok+Bank/Ab...anch+in+USA.htm

Here's a complete set of info I found there:

New York Branch

Mr. Chalit Phaphan, Branch Manager

Bangkok Bank PCL New York Branch

29 Broadway, 20th Floor, New York

NY 10006

Tel: (1-212) 422-8200

Fax: (1-212) 422-0728

Swift: BKKB US 33

Telex:(023) 175459 BKBK UT

E-mail: [email protected]

FED Routing No: 026008691

CHIPS ABA: 0869

I notice that some people have been able to successfully transfer money, and some have had trouble. The successful ones have been smaller amounts.

Someone I heard from recently said he has had experience working for BOA. He believes the problem I'm having is related to their "anti-money laundering processes".

It could be that smaller amounts get past their filters for this purpose, but higher amounts get flagged. Of course their helpful support people cannot/will not tell you and me what that amount is.

If I get the opportunity to try again at some point, maybe I'll try $4,997 or a little less to see if $5k is the filter limit.

It may be worth my contacting BB in NY to see if they can help here.

A lot of this information, Bangkok Bank/NY, was posted earlier in this thread.

I seriously doubt any problems are related to the Patriot Act (anti-money laundering), and associated limitations.

I also doubt Bangkok Bank in NYC will be of much help sorting out problems with BofA, but who knows?

I have recently successfully completed a wire transfer from Bank of America to Bangkok Bank in Thailand by completing a Bank of America "Outgoing Funds Transfer Request - International" in person in the U.S.A. I successfully transferred $9,500.

The form requires: (item numbers from the form)

4.) Beneficiary Information - This is information related to my Bangkok Bank account, full and complete name used to open the account, usually all the names in your passport, my local Bangkok address, and the "Beneficiary Account Number at the Beneficiary Bank, your bangkok Bank account number.

6. Beneficiary Bank or Institution - In my case Bangkok Bank PCL, and I include the address of my branch, where I opened the account. Also the form requires one of the following: CHIPS UID, SWIFT HEAD OFFICE OR BRANCH BIC or Other International Routing Code (e.g. Sort Code, BLZ).

8.) Intermediary Bank - In my case I used Bangkok Bank PCL, 29 Broadway, 20th Floor, NY, NY 1006, Tel. 212 430-8200. I also had to provide the ABA routing number for the Bangkok Bank in NYC, which is 026008691

The on-line process works in a similar fashion, at least as I understand it.

BofA transfers USD to Bangkok Bank in NYC.

Bangkok Bank in NYC converts/exchanges USD to THB.

Bangkok Bank in NYC does an inter-office transfer of THB to Bangkok Bank in Thailand.

Bangkok Bank in NYC is branch number 02, my Bangkok Branch in Thailand is Bang Kapi, branch number 0105. Your branch number is the first two or three digits of your account number, drop the leading zero, so 105 in my case.

I do believe the requirement of the ABA routing number (perhaps it makes transactions easier to track?), which is new in my case, is a result of the Patriot Act, as is any aggregate annual outflow of $10,000 through any single financial insitutution. That is to say, if you go to a specific institution and buy $5,000 worth of Traveler's Checks, there are no quesitons. If you go back to that same institution in the same year and buy another $5,000 worth of Traveler's Checks then you will have to fill out a fairly detailed form.

Okay,

So, do to the Patriot act, maybe I should subtract any previous transactions I've made this year, and that might be what I can still transfer.

One BAO support rep tried to tell me that my previous transfer might affect what I could transfer for the rest of the month (never mind the daily limit).

I haven't looked into wiring yet because of the cost, hoping to use more economical options.

Strange...I just spoke with an online BOA rep. It seems if you want to open an account, they have a java chat window that opens with a live BOA rep to assist you.

When I tried to ask about the transfer problems, she said she didn't know anything about it.

This is getting to be the standard line from BOA.

ThaiGreg,...I was able to find some info on transfers.

http://www.bankofamerica.com/onlinebanking...q_transferfunds

I hope this helps.