What'S With The Bakers Loy Krathongs ?

SwaziBird

This year, either I'm getting around more or have opened my eyes wider but, I'm seeing a number of different bakery outlets offering their krathongs.

Never noticed them before. Presume they are made of bread. Certainly have interesting shapes. Are these the table versions or do they actually float ?

Anyone shed light on these bakery items ?

Thanks.

Cheers

Rather than pollute the rivers even more than is already done, some clever sort decided to make an environmentally friendly floater..

Guess the fish were fed up of eating banana leaves, incense and candle wax

Edited by Lobin

We had them last year they were painted so couldn't eat them :bah:

I think the idea is that they are more environmentally friendly.

They must have sold well last year and now everyone and his Uncle has jumped on the band wagon better than the styrofoam model anyway.

Looks like Lobin beat me to it :D

Edited by anonymouse

I've seen them in the recent past, though they're getting more frequent. I'm all for it. There's also always a contingency of styrofoam kratongs out there for sale too. Always annoyed to see them for sale or used. Banana tree center-cut and leaf kratongs are fine in my book too. The trees grow like weeds here.

I was out yesterday shopping in one of the supermarkets with the GF and I saw these bread things for the first time. There were pink ones, green ones and plain bread colored versions.

I said to the GF, these are a bit hard, I`ve seen stale bread before, but this is way beyond the limit. She told me this is special bread that floats for Loy Krathong.

Suppose they are an improvement on the usual floaters I have seen streaming down the river.

post-110219-0-46762100-1290124037_thumb.

I was out yesterday shopping in one of the supermarkets with the GF and I saw these bread things for the first time. There were pink ones, green ones and plain bread colored versions.

I said to the GF, these are a bit hard, I`ve seen stale bread before, but this is way beyond the limit. She told me this is special bread that floats for Loy Krathong.

Suppose they are an improvement on the usual floaters I have seen streaming down the river.

They are certainly different.

Just hope i get the correct dates for next years festival.

Anyone know the dates for 2011.

Thanks in advance :)

Edited by Lizard2010

Great idea. All bread will float initially... even soft white bread until it gets soggy. And, fish WILL eat it. Dry, hard bread will float quite a long time, and certainly long enough to send off a Krathong on its way merrily down the river. Personally, I wove a few banana leaf boats just for the fun of it. They will eventually break down and rot naturally.