Usps Priority From Usa To Thailand

I have a couple of boxes from the USA being shipped to me via USPS priority intl mail. I have the tracking number, but the tracking has not updated for 3 days since it left LAX. My question is will this ever update to show its arrival in thailand or is it "lost" until I actually receive the packages? Thanks.

• Like 1

I would give it about a week, last time I had something shipped form US took almost 5 days until an update. Another thing to try to track on Thailand Post website, sometimes it will it show up on there only, it I'm not mistaken it will show when it reaches customs.

It should in theory show at each stage, ie. dispatch, exit country, enter country, and so on but in reality the system is only as good as the people inputting the information. I would wait around 10 days after despatch and if you dont have the parcel then i would be shouting at whoever actually despatched it for them to chase and locate it as again in theory its still their goods until you receive it and they are unltimately responsible.

Edited by CharlieH

I had a package sent to me earlier this year, and after a week or so, it hadn't arrived, I had the tracking number but no show on tracking. Asked the sender in the US who went to Post office and asked, and this was their answer: No tracking once the package has left US airspace. The package arrived after about 10 days.

I had a package sent to me earlier this year, and after a week or so, it hadn't arrived, I had the tracking number but no show on tracking. Asked the sender in the US who went to Post office and asked, and this was their answer: No tracking once the package has left US airspace. The package arrived after about 10 days.

This is correct. I have had many packages shipped from the US to here. Once it leaves the US there is no tracking.

USPS Global Priority is the slower one, compared with USPS Global Express....

For Priority, notwithstanding what the USPS says, figure 7-14 days from the USA to BKK, at the margins, usually coming out at about 10 days on average...

No need to worry... YET.

Also, in my past experience, for reasons unknown, USPS to Thailand seems to really slow to a crawl around the Christmas season... I had a package last year that arrived here a full month after it was sent from the USA.

Of course the USPS can't track it after it leaves the US. The USPS, UPS and Fedex all use scanners to automatically update the tracking info. If the Thai postal service isn't tied into the USPS computer system (unlikely that it is) then there is no way for the info to be updated once the package leaves the US.

My anecdotal evidence is that packages sent via USPS Global Priority arrive within 5-7 days, except during December.

What century are you guys in?

I track packages regularly from DHL, UPS, Fedex and even TNT, from LAX it may well take 2-3 days to arrive in Bangkok at which time it will be scanned in. 7 days seems to be the norm from USA to Thailand.

It should look like this. You can sign up for email notifications on the USPS Tracking website. :whistling:

Service Type: Express Mail PO-Add

Shipment Activity Location Date & Time

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Delivered Abroad THAILAND 09/27/10 10:00am

Out of Foreign Customs THAILAND 09/21/10 3:02pm

Arrived Abroad THAILAND 09/21/10 5:20am

International Dispatch ISC CHICAGO IL (USPS) 09/18/10 8:52pm

Arrival

Processed through Sort DETROIT MI 48242 09/17/10 7:41pm

Facility

Acceptance EMMETT MI 48022 09/17/10 3:22pm

Reminder: Track & Confirm by email

Date of email request: 09/22/10

Future activity will continue to be emailed for up to 2 weeks from the Date of Request shown above. If you need to initiate the Track & Confirm by email process again at the end of the 2 weeks, please do so at the USPS Track & Confirm web site at http://www.usps.com/...kandconfirm.htm

Of course, the international priority carriers allow tracking across borders, because they have operations in those different countries including Thailand...

But, the USPS has no operational presence in Thailand, and likewise Thai Post has no operational presence in the U.S. So that's why tracking between the two tends to break down some...

I sent a registered letter via Thai Post to the USA last spring, and was able to track it on the Thai Post web site right up to it being scanned in at Suvarnabhumi... But beyond that, nothing ever was updated on the Thai Post system, and the USPS web site never had any record of the mailing, even though it eventually was delivered in the USA by USPS...and I months after even received a tattered return receipt card in the mail here.

The only USPS Global Priority packages I've sent from the USA to Thailand have been the flat rate envelope variety, which are not trackable in the USPS system, unlike their larger and more expensive box varieties. So I can't speak to what happens with USPS tracking for Global Priority boxes sent from the USA to Thailand.

The reason for shipping with USPS from the USA to Thailand: probably a lower cost, after figuring in the often excessive duties, tax and fees tacked on by the commercial shippers, whereas Thai Post deliveries can often arrive with no duty or tax assessed, or much less than via the commercial shippers. But even that can be somewhat variable due to the wide ranging whims of Thai customs inspectors.

What century are you guys in?

I track packages regularly from DHL, UPS, Fedex and even TNT, from LAX it may well take 2-3 days to arrive in Bangkok at which time it will be scanned in. 7 days seems to be the norm from USA to Thailand.

So that shows a 10-day handling time, from acceptance to delivery in Thailand....

It should look like this. You can sign up for email notifications on the USPS Tracking website. :whistling:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Arrival

Facility

There no known discernable pattern to why and what things Thai customs decides to open for inspection. Though one might presume high value items have a greater likelihood, and other factors, such as perhaps a large/heavy box with a very low declared value... Or just because they're looking to pad their pockets at month's end. Of course, they have the right to open and inspect anything they want.

In my experience, they've seemed to open my fairly unremarkable packages maybe 1 time out of 4... When they've been opened, they eventually arrive with the Thai customs logo'd tape resealing the box. Though that hasn't seemed to result in any unusually long time delay compared to when the packages haven't been opened.

That said, the things you describe below wouldn't likely have a very high $ value or be particularly large or heavy.... So if your Mom were to send it by USPS, it might likely arrive un-disturbed. If she sends it via FedEx, DHL or UPS, expect it to get dutied to kingdom come and perhaps opened as well.

Vitamins certainly are overpriced here, compared to US prices, so I can understand trying to ship those, and have done so myself. But razors and shaving gel.... Thailand seems to have a pretty good supply of the more common disposable razor blades (like Mach 3) and various gels, though I can't recall if I've ever seen Edge gel here...which I usually bring back from my trips via airplane luggage. :)

A little off subject - But does Thai customs open these packages?... I want my Mom to send me a USPS care box of vitamins, razors and GEL shaving cream for Xmas - But assumed it would be held up by customs...

So that shows a 10-day handling time, from acceptance to delivery in Thailand....

Arrival

Facility

Yes; plus a day or two from BKK to Chiang Mai, but I have also had packages take up to a month.

As another poster suggested, the parcel is now tracking via the thai post website with the USPS tracking number:

November 21, 2010

10:35:36BANGKOK MAIL CENTERAccept

Edited by BillR

My next question is, If I get hit with an import duty is there any negotiating this? I think I will get carded and told to go to the local post office in Phuket to retrieve the package, I will send a thai person named as the receiver. Can he haggle this price or not?

I ordered 40 small bags of a special type of Granola Cereal. The package was sent as a gift.

Edited by BillR

• 4 months later...

At www frangranceX I ordered some 3600 thb aftershaves. Paid by credit card.

Shipped by USPS without tracking number :o at november 26 - 2010 said frangranceX.

By now 13 april 2011 nothing received yet. :blink:

Anyone with te same experience ??

• 1 year later...

Old post but still relevant..

Never EVER! Use USPS, USstamps, UPS when you order online!

USPS: Costum clerance in thailand takes minimum 2-3 weeks when commiing from USPS

USstamps: Custom clerance in Thailand takes minimum 2-3 weeks when commiing from USstamps

UPS: Custom clearance in thailand takes minimum 1-2 weeks, and they will ask you to send them all kinds of info, copy passport, visa + have you sign documents, all before they deliver the pack.

They will hold you hostage/randsom, what i mean is they will over charge you like hell, and as long as you ask questions they will not deliver the pack until you accept the bill.. AND every day the pack is at there office, they will charge you around 250bath for storage... Its insane!!

To all the way to order fast and cheap is: amazon.com, be sure seller is amazon.com, why??

First of all pretty much every single time i order there, my pack is delivered here in phuket after 3-4 days!! yes 3-4 days!!! its insane

Many many times i don't pay any import at all, and if you do, the amount will be paid and displayed on your order when you make it on amazon.com website. And the amount will be small!

amazon.com Uses DHL..

If you order from someone else make sure its DHL, they are the fastest, and the honest shippers i have used in Thailand!

• Like 1

USPS: Costum clerance in thailand takes minimum 2-3 weeks when commiing from USPS

This is just flat out wrong.

You nearly always receive the pink card from customs within 2 days of the package arriving in Thailand. Then a quick trip down to Hua Lampong, pay the fees, and leave with your package.

And for this minor inconvenience of going to pick up your parcel only a short walk from the end of the MRT you get to pay only the actual, published customs rate plus VAT, vs. the extortionate rates plus "broker and storage fees" charged by FedEx, UPS and DHL. And most of the time, if the value of the item is under $100, the Thai post office simply delivers it to your door with no fees due at all.

My advice having received hundreds of packages here over the last decade plus is: Never, ever ship anything to Thailand EXCEPT via USPS unless you enjoy being bent over and reamed by the private couriers.

I have no idea what things are like in Phuket, but in Bangkok your advice is very poor.

Edit: BTW, "Amazon" doesn't use anybody for shipping. Amazon is an electronic marketplace filled with thousands of different vendors. Many of those vendors use the "Fulfilled by Amazon" service to handle their shipping, but many more of them don't. If you order from vendors who don't use the "Fulfilled by Amazon" shipping service, your order will come from whatever carrier they select, and be prepared to pay through the nose if they select anyone other than the post office. The little guy can't get DHL to give him a price including customs fees. Instead, you will have to pay those fees in cash when they deliver the package, and those fees will be dramatically more than you'll pay at the post office.

Edited by gregb

• 3 months later...

Bumping this back up, I purchased some boots on Ebay and all was going well with the delivery until they seem to be unable to work out my address, no idea why as I have had hundreds or parcels delivered over the years with out issue, albeit this is the first one with USPS.

Anyone have a telephone number for these people (in thailand) so that I can spoon feed my address to them.

USPS_zps7ecd3557.jpg

Over the last year I have had 2 or 3 items bought off Ebay from U.S. sellers shipped to my Bangkok address via USPS. Each item cost around $30/B1000. The packages arrived in approx 10 days...two with no customs due and one with 7%VAT due. My sister on the U.S. east coast mails me a few letters/cards each year just using the standard international postage stamp...each card/letter arrives my Bangkok home in 7 to 10 days.

Pib, I guess

• The value does not exceed 1,000 baht; and
  • The item is a commercial sample whistling.gif of no commercial value.

http://www.customs.g...tingpostalitems

Good info...didn't know that...thanks. The items were not commercial samples nor marked as such....I expect the customs folks key in on the declared value "and" item description...."and" their mood of the day. And you could tell the 2 of the boxes had been opened and one box had a form in it saying it had been opened by customs...but no customs charge was applied. Actually the more I think about it the times probably ranged in the $30/B1000 to $50/B1600 range and were declared as such by the Ebay shipper. Luck of the draw with Thai customs in many cases....mood of the day maybe.

Edited by Pib

• 2 months later...

We are mailing some small Christmas presents (wrapped) - children's toys, books, clothes - to a family we know in Chiang Mai using the USPS International Priority Large Flat Rate Box (12x12x 6). The contents are no more than $50, about 8 pounds in weight. Question is, will there be a problem that these items are wrapped in Christmas wrap? Also, one of the items is soft magnet sheet (like advertisement magnets) 8x12 of a nativity scene...can soft magnets be sent through the mail - wondering if this may cause a scanning problem. Thank you!

We are mailing some small Christmas presents (wrapped) - children's toys, books, clothes - to a family we know in Chiang Mai using the USPS International Priority Large Flat Rate Box (12x12x 6). The contents are no more than $50, about 8 pounds in weight. Question is, will there be a problem that these items are wrapped in Christmas wrap? Also, one of the items is soft magnet sheet (like advertisement magnets) 8x12 of a nativity scene...can soft magnets be sent through the mail - wondering if this may cause a scanning problem. Thank you!

No problem with the scanners, small magnets are not prohibited items. Should be no problem with the gifts being wrapped, even Thai Customs knows what Christmas presents are. Unfortunately it is the luck of the draw whether or not the package is opened for inspection, most of the times they just go by the value declared on the Customs Form so long as it is reasonable.

Don't list a Cannon Camera and say it is only worth $50 for instance and most likely you will not pay any duty, and if you do it may be based upon 7% VAT of the declared value (and sometimes including the postage cost)

Edited by Langsuan Man

• 1 month later...

Over the last year I have had 2 or 3 items bought off Ebay from U.S. sellers shipped to my Bangkok address via USPS. Each item cost around $30/B1000. The packages arrived in approx 10 days...two with no customs due and one with 7%VAT due. My sister on the U.S. east coast mails me a few letters/cards each year just using the standard international postage stamp...each card/letter arrives my Bangkok home in 7 to 10 days.

Wish I could say the same for some Ebay shipments from Hong Kong. Recent experience: Ordered a $13 tablet case on 23 Nov (free shipping), got notice of shipping on 24 Nov, arrived 2 Jan with no customs/VAT due which is good...had customs slip attached identifying cost as USD13 and no indication it had went through Thai customs...only through the postal system....that's around 39-40 days shipping time. Would have never thought postal from Hong Kong to my Bangkok home would take that long....guess the mode of shipment used was message in the bottle type.

I just received a package from California via USPS International Priority Airmail. It was ordered December 15th and arrived at my door the 4th of January. Delivery was considerably longer than usual but that was likely because of the holidays. The best part was there were no custom's charges. I won't order anything if they insist on shipping it via FedEx or UPS. Those companies are in bed with Thai customs.

When ordering online, I try to source what I want from Singapore or Australia and sent via regular air mail.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Just some more info. I ordered something for the gf from the US and it was being shipped Priority Mail. I've always had tracking before, but I've learnt if they send it flat rate parcel, tracking isn't included.

It departed the US sort facility on the 17th November. It's now 24th January and it never arrived.

So be sure to check with the seller/store if it has tracking or not. I'm out $120 and can't do anything. No idea if it even made it out of the US.